The Official 2020 Jets Training Camp Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know. I'm not sure what this means

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You got it. More than likely if Bryce had COVID it would have been reported, but more than likely he could have been in contact with someone that had it.

barfolomew and cval like this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

He was at like 385, now he looks super in shape / toned, just a straight up beast.

4. Falco21

Ralebird likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/3-battles-to-watch-in-jets-training-camp

Thursday, Jul 30, 2020 08:30 AM

3 Battles to Watch in Jets Training Camp
    Mekhi Becton, Denzel Mims Will Compete for Starting Roles

Ethan Greenberg
    TEAM REPORTER

Jets training camp practices will commence following the team's strength and conditioning program as players will compete on the field for 53 spots. Head coach Adam Gase believes the depth of the roster has improved, which should result in stronger competition across the board. Here are three position battles to watch throughout camp:

Offensive Line
    General manager Joe Douglas overhauled the offensive line throughout the offseason, so it's fitting to start up front. The Jets have seven new linemen – Connor McGovern, George Fant, Greg Van Roten, Josh Andrews, Mekhi Becton, Cameron Clark and Jared Hilbers – to go along with returnees Alex Lewis, Brian Winters, Jonotthan Harrison and Chuma Edoga among others. Almost all have experience playing multiple positions, which OL coach Frank Pollack described as "critical." Pollack will start the best five in Week 1, but the group needs to make up for lost time this spring because a successful OL needs chemistry.

"We don't need five individuals, we need give guys playing as one," he said. "We are the ultimate judged-as-a-unit group. My expectations right out of the gate are to develop that cohesiveness where we can execute as one and not as five individuals as we start stacking the weeks, keep improving and keeping that arrow up and never flattening out.

"There are three things from a grading standpoint — assignment, finish and effort. Finish and effort come from a player individually. The technique is really the hardest thing for a guy to master and that's usually your lowest grade on a weekly basis. That's fine-tuning and building on that on a weekly basis."

Cornerback
    A pair of Douglas' early moves in his first full offseason as general manager were releasing CBs Trumaine Johnson and Darryl Roberts, the Jets' opening-day starters in 2019. Douglas quickly scooped up Pierre Desir in free agency after Indianapolis released him and later traded for another former Colt in Quincy Wilson, who rejoins his former Florida Gator teammates Brian Poole and Marcus Maye. Poole will once again man the slot in 2020, but who will line up on either side of him?

"The reason I like the group is because it's open competition," DBs coach Dennard Wilson said. "I told them all offseason that I don't care where they came from, what round they were picked. I don't care how they got here. Now they're here and it's wide open. What's going to happen is that it's going to create competition and the best players are going to rise to the top. Whoever the best players at the corner position are or the three or four best guys, they're going to play. If they're the best 11, 12 or 13 on the team, they'll find a package."

The Jets also added Virginia product Bryce Hall in the fifth round of the draft. Hall is an intriguing prospect with good height (6'1", 202) and ball skills as he led the nation in pass defenses in 2018, but his senior season ended in October because of an ankle injury. The cornerback corps also includes Bless Austin, Arthur Maulet and Nate Hairston, who each started six games for the Green & White last season.

Wide Receiver
    Similar to the cornerbacks, the slot is in good hands. Jamison Crowder emerged as QB Sam Darnold's go-to target last year, leading the team in receptions (78), receiving yards (833) and touchdowns (6). Speedster Robby Anderson is now with the Panthers, but the Jets brought in a pair of burners in Breshad Perriman and Denzel Mims. Outside of Crowder, those competing for starting roles will be Perriman, Mims, Josh Doctson, Braxton Berrios and Vyncint Smith, among others.

"That's a coach's dream to have so much talent and competition," WRs coach Shawn Jefferson said. "It's going to be fierce competition with all those guys vying to get on the field."

Honorable Mention
    Kicker is up for grabs as Sam Ficken, who connected on 70.4% of his field goals and 88.5% of his extra points in 15 games last season, will compete with former Cowboy Brett Maher. Maher has made 74.2% of his career FG attempts (63 long) and 98.6% of XPs.

barfolomew likes this.
  6. Falco21

I can't wait to see what Mims can do.

Outside of Becton, he is the guy I am looking forward to most this offseason

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Becton looks in incredible shape!!!!!

barfolomew and Footballgod214 like this.
  8. Falco21

Brah, come on! This was already posted above! ;)

barfolomew and dawinner127 like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

10. Falco21

I can't wait to see Sam this year!!!!

Also love the little jab at Adams by showing Gase addressing the locker room

The Dark Knight, barfolomew and cval like this.
  11. Falco21

12. Falco21

You gotta love Greg Williams LOL!

barfolomew, NCJetsfan and azhar80 like this.
  13. Falco21

14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Dam Q is looking lean. hoping he busts out this year. seems like he turned a lot of that "baby fat" into muscle. he reminds me build wise a lot of suh

barfolomew and azhar80 like this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

16. Falco21

I have a feeling Mims is gonna be a monster!

17. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Excellent off season for Becton. He trimmed down & wow look at those biceps..This kid has the attitude to go along with the body & athleticism. ..they always said his ceiling was high, but now it looks like he is doing all he can to hit it. He'll be tested week 2 vs. Bosa. He will still be raw in week 2 but it's a good way to show him what player competition is like in the NFL by going up against the best. This could be a good wakeup call when he finds out he can't just use brute strength & fling guys around like rag dolls in the NFL...................or can he, what a beast:p

18. BroadwayAaron

Im just happy seeing Sam put a deep ball right on the money.

Brook! likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

Another deep ball on the money. I know it’s in shorts against no one but to me the deep ball is Sam’s biggest weakness and to see the accuracy on these throws is promising.

The Dark Knight and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Same here! And if Douglas hit on both picks, it completely changes the dynamic of the offense.

boozer32 and Imagesrdecieving like this.