I guess it's now fair to say Joe is a genius

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Jul 26, 2020.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You shouldn’t be so hard on Bill fans.

2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I am surprised you didn’t type you’re the only team in New York.

Bills over Jets likes this.
  3. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

For those talking about Douglas' luck, remember the Branch Rickey quote (stolen from John Milton): "Luck is the residue of design." People who know what they're doing sure seem to have more luck than those who don't. If Douglas turns out to be lucky, it will be because he's good at his job. Maccagnan and Idzik had no luck because they didn't know what they were doing.

P.S. Milton was a 17th century English poet, not the character from "Office Space," although I have to admit that the "Office Space" Milton sure looks like Maccagnan working the phones on draft day. All that's missing is the coffee cup. [​IMG]

#23 Since1969, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Brook!, blackssmagic, Cman68 and 4 others like this.
  4. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

My god, what a painful image.

Before we call him a genius lets see what he does in the next drsft with the picks he gained.

5. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

If we trend in the right direction and have a winning season yes. If we make the playoffs, then hell yes.

Right now he’s looking pretty damned good on paper.

6. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

Not genius level yet but, so far so good. Let's just hope he keeps it up and has more hits than strikeouts.

barfolomew likes this.
  7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He has a pretty low bar after the last two GM's. I can't see Douglas making a draft pick as bad as Hackenberg. What we are seeing is competence, and we have not seen that around here in a very long time.

#27 cval, Jul 28, 2020
    Imagesrdecieving and Cman68 like this.
  8. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Lose the words "genius and "guru" when you are talking about football.

Since1969 likes this.
  9. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

So far it's certainly hard to disagree with anything that JD has done. At the very least I feel like there's an adult with a plan running the NYJ. Keep in mind, it's much easier to trade other people's draft picks. He inherited a great football player, he had no connection to Jamal. He didn't take him 6th overall and then trade him. There is NO CHANCE Mac trades Jamal and that lingering scenario would've turned into a complete disaster...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Countsnake

Countsnake Member

If he was a genius he would trade next years two firsts to Cleveland for OBJ. Considering they may not even be a college football season, picks may not have the same value as normal. I kind of think that’s what Seattle did to you guys.

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

That's what you want him to do...

apjbfc and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. Countsnake

Countsnake Member

Hell no!
    I want you guys to keep your picks. Even if you guys get lucky and hit on one of those picks(highly unlikely) they will play out there rookie contracts and bail on you.

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. . Nice try. . ^ That is dumbfuckkery on several levels.

#33 joe, Jul 28, 2020
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The hell he would.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Living proof that just because Belichick is smart doesn't mean Pats fans are.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  16. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Why would the Jets want another malcontent, when they just got rid of one? I personally don't want anything to do with OBJ.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan, dmw and 3 others like this.
  17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Given the Jets history, I think it is safe to say we might have something special with Joe Douglas. But I am not at the point of anointing him a "genius". I may have said that in jest, but I think he still needs to prove himself before becoming our savior.

With that said, he has done an amazing job in his first year. The biggest part of his job, the draft, is still an unknown, but I am very confident in his ability to manage the cap and handle diva's like Jamal Adams. The way he went about handling the Adams saga, was nothing short of perfect. He made all of the right comments and remained silent throughout the process. He spoke to the media only when he had to and when he did, he praised Adams and his ability as a player but also stated strongly that he will ALWAYS listen to offers, which is something that is crucial to a successful GM. In the end, he traded him for a king's ransom. We legitimately gave up a safety and received two first round picks, a third round pick, and a starting safety. That is incredible value.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan, dmw and 2 others like this.
  18. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Its a little early for this. He made a couple nice trades, and seems like a smart guy.

Having said that, he took some high risk, high reward players at the top of the draft who could easily bust. If that is the case everyone in here is changing their tunes quickly.

I will say, his drafts/UDFA and FA moves appear smarter than his predecessors. He showed an interest in helping Sam Darnold improve, which is more than we can say for Mac.

I'm not saying to not be excited about JD, just to not count chickens before they hatch so to speak. Things can change fast in the NFL. I am always reminded of that headline from years ago. "Jets strike gold with Mac and Bowles"

Cman68 likes this.
  19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. . Buffalo is a beautiful city,

MoWilkBeast and Brook! like this.
  20. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

You know the fanbase knee jerk reaction, this thread will be bumped in 2yrs , when everyone is call him the worse GM, and wants him fired, just wait for it

Brook!, Cman68 and Imagesrdecieving like this.