Gregg Easterbrook on the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Namath2Kolber, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

This is from Gregg Easterbrook's lastest Tuesday Morning Quarterback column:

Sominex Bids to Sponsor Upcoming Jets-Raiders Game: The Jets are quietly 8-6 and stand a decent chance at the playoffs in the first season of Eric "I Was a Teenaged Coach" Mangini. Why aren't they generating excitement? I think the reason is their look. Jersey/B explicably continues to play in 1847 throwback uniforms plus black shoes -- the antiquated unis and black shoes make the Jets appear to be the slowest-looking team in the NFL. The Jets' appearance projects monotony; maybe this is what Mangini wants. Their game plan projects monotony -- underneath, underneath, underneath. Maybe that's what Mangini wants, too. How could an opponent get psyched up for playing the Jets? Maybe that's what Mangini wants.

2. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

What's the JerseyB?

TBTF

3. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Easterbrook calls the Giants Jersey/A and the Jets Jersey/B. He rips on the teams for being from New York but playing in Jersey. But he's objective - doesn't root for any specific team in his columns and he's very well informed.

4. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

I get douche chills every time I read something this guy writes. He's trying so hard to be Bill Simmons but he's such an out of touch nerd that he just falls flat on his face.

5. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

He's nothing like Bill Simmons. Simmons comedy comes from pop culture references. Easterbrook is fully aware that he's a nerd and his jokes are all very nerdy too. But he does more of a Ron Jaworski style, in-depth analysis of football instead of just glossing over each team like Simmons does.

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Have to say I agree with him on the black shoes, but other than that I think he's out of his mind. People get fired up to play the vikes with that hideous new uniform they wheeled out this year? How about the Cardinals, that's pathetic. And whats with the pajamas the Titans have been wearing lately? Our unis are the best in the league.

7. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I like how the Titans have been sporting light blue pants of late. It's surprising it took them till their 8th season as the Titans to wear those pants.

The Jets uniforms are alright. Easterbrook is correct about them. They are boring looking uniforms. That doesn't mean they are bad, however. Again, they are alright.

My favorite current NFL uniforms are those wore by the Chargers. I don't particularly care for their powder blue uniforms.

There are a bunch of garbage uniforms in the league right now.

8. Jerome 84

Jerome 84 New Member

Seriously? Easterbrook has been doing this for years, way before Simmons started his ESPN column (maybe Simmons was doing his own site before Easterbrook, though).

Either way, he's so much better informed than about 90% of the espn analysists. And he actually comes up with legitimate points that nobody else talks about. He critiques coaches in a way other than just complimenting them when they win and making fun of them when they lose. He gets into interesting percentages and stats, besides "Chad Johnson leads the league in receiving yards."

I don't think I've ever heard Simmons actually say anything analytical besides "Phillip Rivers doesn't throw to Tony Gonzalez enough"

9. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i love the uni's, theyre clean and simple. plus i like green. hope they dont change, theyd have to be amazing if they did.

10. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but this is just not witty at all. And that little Jersey/A, Jersey/B thing is really old and hackneyed.

11. rillo

rillo New Member

I really hope they dont change them.....i also love the uni's

12. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I don't think it was meant to be witty, aside from the Jersey/B joke. He has nicknames for a lot of teams. Calls the Patriots the Flying Elvii (look at their logo). Calls the Titans the Flaming Thumbtacks (logo). Refers to the Arizona (Warning: May Contain Football-like Substance) Cardinals. Like I said, his jokes aren't laugh-out-loud funny. But he provides good analysis.

13. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I have always liked Easterbrook myself. To each his own. :)