Would you trade picks now for Yannick Ngakoue?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by VegasMav, Jul 26, 2020.

1. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that now we can use some picks and trade for Yannick. How about we trade 2021 third-round (Seattle) and 2022 first-round pick (Seattle) for him? Do you think the Jaguars take the deal?

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

And go from Adams 1.0 to Adams 2.0? No.

TonyFtLaud, Jonathan_Vilma and Noam like this.
  3. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

I say we build through the draft. The 09-10 back to back AFC Championship games was the product of Dbrick, Mangold, Revis, Harris, and Keller. I say we go back to the playoffs next year with a possible SB run the year after while Darnold is on his rookie deal. By the time we have a good portion of our cap dedicated to Darnold, who will hopefully then be a top 10 and Franchise QB, then we'll have used these picks and have inexpensive young talent who is developing. We then have a good team for the next 10 years with Darnold, and as long as we continue the same mindset, we'll be a consistent playoff contender.

If you want to bring an influx of talent in, use free agency. It sucks because it hits the cap hard. But I'm not for trading away assets and hitting the cap hard.

macbk, NCJetsfan, VegasMav and 2 others like this.
  4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I would not. The Ngakoue situation is completely different, and the Jags won’t be able to get much for him. The deadline to extend Franchise Tag players has passed, and Ngakoue hasn’t even signed his tender anyway. On top of that he says he will not play for the Jags.

If the Jets trade for him they cannot extend him until after the season, and he may just prefer free agency. The Jets have zero guarantee he will be on the team for more than one year, so they should not trade anything close to the package you suggest. I would not want to trade anything more than a 6th. You might be able to convince Me for a 5th. That’s my limit.

JetBlue, K'OB and VegasMav like this.
  5. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

Good point. Didn't know the whole situation with the Jags. Now that you laid it out, I see your point. I have full confidence in JD and trust he will make the right decisions.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Can have a better player in Clowney and not have to trade any assets

Section 336 likes this.
  7. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

agree w a lot of the posts above

But while we're spit-balling, why stop with this guy. While we should covet these kind of draft assets, one could argue you could prepare a package for any DE (e.g., Mack?)

8. Given he cant be extended i say no.But sooner or later we’re gonna have to bite the bullet & acquire a legit edge pass rusher.It’s been nearly 15 yrs since we actually had a legit piece at a crucial position.These guys dont grow on trees & expecting the perfect player on the cheap is just unrealistic.It’s bite the bullet & address a massive need or sit on our hands waiting for the perfect cant miss scenario w minimal risk like we’ve done..hows it worked out?

VegasMav, gajetsfan and dawinner127 like this.
  9. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I don't know enough about his value. I probably wouldn't trade a first, because they offer so much flexibility. I hope it's not the case, but what if the Jets are within striking range of getting Trevor Lawrence? I love Darnold, but if he doesn't improve, the Jets may look for a new QB. Not to mention, they can really rebuild the OL with all those premium picks.

Would the Seattle 3rd, Giant 5th and a mid round 2022 pick get the job done?

I am seriously intrigued at the prospect of getting Yannick. He could be an animal under Greg Williams

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It could, but unless Ngakoue guarantees the Jets in writing that he will sign with them following the 2020 season, it wouldn't be worth it for a one-year rental. I don't think that guarantee would be worth the paper it was printed on anyway. I'd love to add him as much as you, and maybe we can sign him as a FA next year, but I'm not gonna hold my breath on that happening.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  11. tubby

tubby Active Member

I'd rather sign Clowney.

If we're going to trade our picks for anybody, it better be on the offensive side of the ball

12. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Oh agreed, I dont trade for anyone unless it comes with an extension signed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

13. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Rather hold the picks than trade for Yannick with the uncertainty of $ he'd seek/we'd be willing to spend.

14. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

With the $$$ the Hawks will have to sink into Adams, I doubt they will be able to bring Clowney back now.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Nah. The name of the game is try to not ever have any player count for any more than 7-8% of the cap unless they're a stud quarterback. Pass rusher would be the next best thing but they need to be game changing if so.

Ngakoue is a nice player. He isn't a game changer. You don't want to give up assets AND have to break the bank.

16. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

any thoughts whether Bears could be enticed to move on from Mack?

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be interested in the price tag and salary combined with the players age, to be honest. This year IMO will kind of be telling as to who won that trade.

He's a beast, but the wrong player for our situation. We're at least a year away (if we're lucky and things break right with Darnold coming into his own/Gase actually being a decent head coach) from contending.

I've never really looked at the age pass rushers decline. That'd be interesting to know. I'll take a look when I get a chance.

The only time I ever really agree with trading away picks for players is if a SB window is closing. The Packers for example should try to nab one more with Rodgers at his age. They don't roll like that though and it's likely why they've sustained success.

#17 Jonathan_Vilma, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020