How would the 2020 Jets look WITHOUT Jamal Adams?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Jun 21, 2020.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Let's evaluate the team with Jamal Adams gone and with no compensation since we don't know what it would be right now. We also don't know what additions Joe Douglas will make before the season begins.

Offense:
    Of course it does not change with losing Adams, except for the possibility of it being improved if the compensation in return for Adams includes an offensive player. Sam Darnold returns for Year 3, hopefully he will have 2 healthy tight ends in Chris Herndon and Ryan Griffin. The WR's are Perriman, Mims and Crowder. Bell should improve with a revamped offensive line featuring Becton, Lewis, McGovern, Van Roten and Fant.

Defense:
    Here is the drop off as you will have Marcus Maye as one of the starting safeties and then rookie Ashtyn Davis will take over the other spot. Many assume Maye would be gone after 2020, but with Adams out of the picture, the Jets can re-sign him if they choose to. The defense should still be strong with a solid defensive line, the return of linebackers Avery Williamson and CJ Mosley and potentially better CB play with Desir, Austin, Maulet, Poole, and new rookie Bryce Hall who likely won't contribute much in 2020. I also expect Quinnen Williams to take a big jump in 2020. Pass rush is still a concern, so we will see if Joe Douglas addresses that.

Overall though, Ashtyn Davis or whoever comes in to replace Adams will be the big factor to see how much of a loss it will be for the roster. Evaluating everything, it could help the Jets in the future if they trade Adams. 2020 would likely be another building season where you can't expect the Jets to win a Super Bowl, but they can likely compete especially if Darnold takes the next step. The AFC East will be wide open, and that will include the Jets. They will have plenty of cap room in 2021 to build on whatever progress they make in 2020. Evaluating the situation without Adams actually has made me more comfortable in potentially trading him. And again, this is without even knowing what the Jets would get in return for Adams.

What do you guys think?

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If I take your premise, that since we don't know what, if any, compensation, we'll get for Adams, thus we have to make an assessment based on what his loss means without any offsetting gain, I'm going to say: Year 1, there might be a bit of a drop off felt; Year 2 onward, not much if at all. Keep in mind that G. Williams isn't simply going to sit on his hands and say "Oh poor us! We don't have Jamal! There's nothing we can do!". He's going to make adjustments, and the loss will be made smaller. But in no way, shape or form, is Jamal Adams the kingpin he believes he is. He's no QB, nor is he even a stud pass rusher or leader in interceptions. He makes a difference certainly, but I doubt their W/L record will change much either with him or without him.

3. The Dark Knight

Yeah, sometimes you need to step back and think about things. When I did that, and I am sure Joe Douglas has, I am not sure the loss is as bad as other people are thinking. You lose the headache he is giving everyone in the organization and the fans too. No doubt he is a great player, but weighing the options, moving on does not seem so bad now. Especially for the price. If he wants $20 million a year, or let's say $18 million. Not sure how he expects the team to build or get him "More Dawgs", paying him that much and knowing Sam likely will need to be paid big money around 2022.

So maybe 2020 will not be as great of a season as Jets fans had hoped (some still don't think it will be great even with Adams) but 2021 and beyond could have great potential.

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

With no stud edge rusher or proven CB outside of Poole, it won't matter if we do or don't have Adams. We'll allow lots of yards in the passing game. This is one reason why losing Jamal wouldn't be the end of the world.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

6. The Dark Knight

Yep. You can allow yards and points if your offense backs you up though. That is my hope for this team. A solid defense, but Sam and the offense carries the team. Instead of 20-17 wins, the Jets may win games 31-27 and that is fine with me since it has become an offensive league.

7. SgtDonnyDonowitz

Well there's no need to rush into a deal there won't be a season and next year there's gonna be a lock out

8. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Jamal had 6.5 sacks last year 3 against Haskins, 2 against D. Jones...Both rookies, & 1.5 vs. The rest of the league. Do I want Adams on the team ...yes, but lets not make him out to be the great pass rusher that we've been looking for for decades. He is a great player & I hope he is here for years to come. But this me,me,me, I,I,I attitude is getting on my nerves. The whole country is going through health & financial crisis & he says "don't give me that covid 19 virus bs " when it comes to his contract. Jamal sit back & take it on the chin like the rest of the country. Now isn't the time to get greedy & if your low on cash give me a call & I'll refer you to my church's food bank.

#8 BudJet, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

No great loss...see ya

I liked you Jamal..until you became the team Hemorroid

Just don't go to NE ahaha

10. SgtDonnyDonowitz

We have a lot of holes still we can fill send him packing and get a nice haul for him. I don't need another Mevi$

The Dark Knight, tomdeb and Brook! like this.
  11. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Fatty hit the nail on the head.....listen

#11 BudJet, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good post, TDK. I'm mad as hell at Adams, but have to admit I'm torn. On one hand, how long has it been since the Jets drafted a player that had a shot at the HOF? I've loved his play on the field, his recruiting FAs to sign here, his hating to lose, and his leadership. He's one of the few players that I've wanted the Jets to draft and they actually did. That said, his whining and trashing the Jets and JD the last two years is inexcusable and has pissed me off so, that I'd love to punish him by making him stay here, and if he opens his mouth again, fine the hell out of him or trading him to the Bears or Lions. No players is bigger than the team, and no player gets to hold the team hostage or tell them how to treat him or when to pay him. I would love for him to realize what an immature ass he has been, publicly apologize to JD, the Jets and the fans for his words and actions, shut up, raise his level of play, and wait for the team to give him a fair contract offer.

Sadly, I don't think that is possible. I don't think he's going to grow up that quickly or apologize for his actions, especially if there is some rift between Adams and Gase, and that is what has soured Adams' wanting to be here. If he's not gonna change or shut up, and Gase is part of the problem, then Adams needs to be traded, and Gase needs to be told that he's on very thin ice. He needs to be told if the offense doesn't produce in a BIG way this offseason, if he doesn't start acting like a real HC and be engaged with the players on the sidelines (you know, actual coaching during a game), and/or if there are problems with any other players, he's gone at the end of the season, and maybe sooner.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. I've never liked Francesa before, but he's spot on in this instance.

SOJAZ, KWJetsFan and BudJet like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We played a lot of bench don't break defense with some blitzes mixed in last year ala what the Patriots have done for pretty much a decade. The difference is having a dynamic blitzer (which Adams was last year) that can push the pocket or run around and cause havoc.

Maye is the cog of the defense that makes that scheme possible though, not Adams. And that's not to say losing Adams won't be a loser, but we have Mosely, Williamson and the new linebacker from Baltimore that could potentially fill that blitzing gap that we're missing.

Where we'll really miss Adams is covering dynamic tightends and fourth receivers in 4 wideout sets or good pass catching runningbacks. Unfortunately I think he was poised for his best season yet. The flexibility of our inside linebacker position this year would've removed the element of needing to pressure the quarterback for him and allowed him to be a true assignment-less (not really but instinctual type player) type of player that Polomalu was. Find the ball, hit the ball carrier and let his superb ball instincts take over games.

But because we're so excellent at stopping the run with the hogs up front, our pass defense will still be flexible enough to be efficient. It's just a matter of changing the scheme to fit the current pieces, which Williams proved he doesn't have much of a problem doing anyway.

The Dark Knight, Brook! and FJF like this.
  15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I know what it would sound like. Does that count?

ukjetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Any scenario that diminishes a Jamal Adams loss involves Gregg Williams scheming.

If we lose Jamal, that makes GW all the more important. If we lose them both, we're screwed.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I'm tired of his self-promotion--I'm not torn at all--make him play under current 2020 contract. If he sits out, fine. If he does play in 2020 and again does well, then perhaps talk extension.

18. The Dark Knight

Yeah, I am not torn anymore. I am done with Adams. I just don't want to give in and let him have his way, so I am fine with him just sitting at home until he changes his attitude. Or trade him to the Bengals, Redskins, Jaguars or Lions. I hope a good offer comes to Joe Douglas and he is able to pull the trigger on a trade, but there is no need to settle and we can definitely wait. I am looking forward to the 2020 season without Adams on the active roster now.

Yeah, Gregg Williams is a big reason I think the defense will continue to be strong in 2020. They survived many injuries last year. They can survive without Adams.
    I like the sound of this.

boozer32 and themorey like this.
  19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I think Gregg Williams was a major reason he got 6 1/2 sacks, if you don't want to be here then get lost

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Trade Adams now. His value only goes down the longer this drags out and other teams know that the Jets HAVE to trade him. Now is when you'll get the most in a trade for him. Sell High.