ESPN: Sam Darnold best young QB in the NFL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, May 19, 2020.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

It was specifically in reference to the 2018, 2019, and 2020 draft. Mahomes and Watson were in 2017.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

then ESPN and the original poster both need to change their headline

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I'd rather have Jackson and Allen at this juncture. You have no idea what Jackson will look like in a few years. However what we do know is that he's the reigning NFL MVP. Let Sam earn it before giving him that tag. It's too premature.

4. MaximusD163

ESPN did it on purpose, just for clicks. I’m sure you know that.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

So you're just worked up over the fact he said Darnold is the best young QB in the game? You should have said that. Because discrediting him as an analyst is foolish. I have no doubt whatsoever that he could end up being the best QB drafted in the last three years. I'm not saying he absolutely will be, but I'm saying he has the ability to be. A lot of that is up to the organization and how we help him... which between the roster and coaching we've given him, we haven't helped him at all.

I feel like no less than three times has it been pointed out that he specified QBs within the last three draft classes.

SOJAZ, Footballgod214 and K'OB like this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

Headlines are designed for clicks. If you read the article, it's specified in the third sentence of the entire thing...

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

"Sam Darnold is the best young QB in the game"

actually what I mean is, he's the best QB of the last 3 draft classes. 2 of which haven't played a down yet.

actually, what I mean is, he's not, but he's gonna be the best QB of the last 3 draft classes. You thought I meant right now? Obviously Lamar Jackson was MVP, I mean in 3 years. Read the article, duh....:D

JetsNation06 likes this.
  8. JetsNation06

I did allude to that in my original post in this thread and I would hope you're not that dim that you didn't know that. In fact before I ever mentioned anything about Orlovsky. So maybe you should read my original post next time instead of trying to look like a smart ass douche.

Damn that's a lot of hypotheticals in your reply about Darnold being the best of the group. "He could", "not saying he absolutely will be", "he has the ability to be". Way to really go out on a limb there. Talk about standing squarely on the fence and not taking a definitive stance. Damn you're pretty slippery. Well hell, you could replace his name with Baker Mayfield and all of those hypotheticals could still hold true. Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

I'd rather deal in documented facts versus hypotheticals. If you deal in what's actually happened on the field so far and what the coming season looks like, then give me Jackson and Allen over Sam right now as I already said. Don't be so butt hurt.

9. Until Sam has the help he needs, Both upfront & at the skills none of the accolades matter. Team has repeatedly prioritized Defense/BPA rather than keeping their eye on the prize.

The OL will be much better but it will also take time for them to gel. The WRs on the other hand are subpar.Wishful thinking gets us around the 20th ranked unit, more realistic assessment is 27-32nd ranked.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with your assessment, but I'll add that nif Sam is the QB we hope he is - that we NEED him to be - he'll elevate those areas with his exceptional ability. If he doesn't, then we have to be concenred that he is not the FQB we need. That doesn't necessarily mean he needs to be sent to the bench, but it does mean that we need to keep looking for that elusive QB who can carry a team on his back - to me that's the definition of a FQB. As of now, I do believe he has that potential, but he hasn't put it all together so far. This year is the year he has to do that, Gase or no Gase.

SOJAZ and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

Your original post had more garbage about ESPN being drivel and Orlovsky being a scrub than it did about Sam, so that's where I stopped reading this post.

12. JetsNation06

So you're acknowledging that I did address my position on Sam in my original post. Thanks for confirming.

13. BroadwayAaron

Sandwiched in between "ESPN drivel" and "Orlovsky the scrub". Sometimes shitty bread ruins a sandwich.

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

...and it worked!

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

They key word is 'young'. Sam is just 22. Younger even than QBs just taken in the last draft.

16. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

I'll give you 30. 33 is a stretch. I'm 32 and I've slowed down considerably since I was 23. I'm no Lamar Jackson, not even close, but I was fairly athletic and fast, and worked out to keep it. My point is that he ran a 4.34 out of college. If he's running a 4.44 at 28 years old....he'll already be a completely different QB that defenses won't have to adjust for as much, making it harder for him to pass. If he offsets that by developing as a pocket passer, he'll be fine.

17. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying, but it was his opinion on how he views QBs. We shouldn't take it as gospel.

18. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

My opinion any QB that Gase gets his hands on he will screw up :mad:

19. MaximusD163

It’s not just speed, it’s a fluid movement on the field, and a great understanding of space. His athleticism will be a major factor for almost as long as he plays, excluding the case of a big injury. Injury is a real risk though.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

One of the biggest factors in any young QB's career potential is the team he plays for.

If you look at Darnold's potential from the standpoint of the 2019 Jets, prior to the firing of Maccagnan, he had virtually no chance of becoming a top-tier QB because the Jets ability to surround him with talent was almost null.

If you look at his potential now it is much higher because the Jets FO appears to be competent or better for the first time in more than a decade.

A top-tier FO would have made Mark Sanchez into a good decade-long QB. Instead he washed out as a succession of failing Jet's FO's failed alongside him.

So any article or analyst who evaluates Darnold now, without a strong thread about the FO weaved into the mix is being intellectually dishonest. Darnold and Douglas will succeed or fail together. If that isn't happening by 2021 Douglas will do the right thing and move on with a new QB trying to salvage his and the team's hopes.

SOJAZ and CotcheryFan like this.