ESPN: Sam Darnold best young QB in the NFL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, May 19, 2020.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Look I don't know what the big deal is Sam could easily end up the best qb of the past 3 years.. we won't know for 10+ more years. It's not like he did what Bucky Brook did and claim Murray would win MVP this year. I like Murray but he has to compete with Jackson, Mahomes, Wilson, and more in a one year window. It's more likely Darnold has a better career than Murray wins MVP this year.

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I was going to put this in the Has Sam Regressed, Progressed, Egressed, etc. Thread, but I was too lazy to go on a wild goose chase. I gave it one shot, it didn't come up, that's all I'm good for. Anyway, this is a small tidbit that a friend of mine sent to me. I'm not sure if it was posted somewhere else on the site already, but I figured I'd share:

Sam Darnold's adjusted comp%
    05-20-2020, 09:36 AM

Gang Green Nation @GangGreenNation 13m
    RT @Michael_Nania: Sam Darnold's adjusted comp% (via PFF: drops, throwaways, hit as thrown, batted passes, spikes removed) when not pressured in 2019 - 81.7%. 6th-best out of 30 qualified QBs. #Jets

As a matterof fact, it's probably on the previous page. Haha.

3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think Thats the point of the article, who would you rather have to QB your team. If asked who you would rather have as your QB you have to consider them all playing on the same team under the same circomstances. How would they all do playing with the Jets. I want to see Sam play with a better O-line & a running game before I make a judgement.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If Lamar stays healthy and doesn't absorb a lot of big hits, and if the Ravens are able to surround him with good talent, he may become the best "scrambling" QB ever, and set a new standard of what a modern QB should do. But...those two qualifiers are anything but guaranteed or even probable. Still, there's always a first time, and Jackson may prove to be that one.

That said, given that we fucked up massively in not taking a once in a generational talent like Mahomes, Darold is a pretty good consolation prize. He's by far the more predictably traditional NFL QB of the rest of the young QBs mentioned, and can more easily be built around. But for him to achieve his potential or above, he has to improve on some things:

1. Deep ball accuracy.
    2. Accuracy from the pocket under pressure.
    3. Prove that he can carry the team on his back and bring them back to win games.

I believe he can do those things, but he has to actually DO it.

Then, beyond what's in Sam's control, he has to have a HC who can plan and execute an offense that plays to his (and the rest of the team's) strengths. So far, between Bowles and Gase and their respective OCs we haven't seen that. To me this is the biggest obstacle in Darnold's path. Douglas has significantly improved the talent on the team especially the OL, and the receivers, while not as good as I'd hoped for so far, if all of them are healthy will be much better than last year, so we're going to see whether Gase & Co. can deliver, no excuses. If they don't, I hope Douglas has the balls (and authority) to fire his ass and hire someone who CAN develop Sam into a FQB.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and Doreblade like this.
  5. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Great post!

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I do not think there is any one of U factoring in the negative Gase factor on Darnolds future progress:mad:

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Gase is a QB whisperer. Sam will dominate under Gase's tutelage.

8. Footballgod214

I just watched a replay on NFL channel of the Titans/Ravens playoff game. Gotta say, Lamar Jackson played horrible. Kinda glad he's NOT our QB for the next 15 years.

9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I disagree & suspect Gase is HCing his last year in the nfl :mad:

e nfl

10. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

As soon as Jackson slows down, teams will worry less about his run and start playing more of a pass defense, which will them plummet his ability to complete passes. He is a better thrower than I had originally thought coming out of the draft, but he benefiting immensely from teams knowing the threat his legs pose.

11. JETS1116

DO is actually a really good analyst. Based on your comment, you've never actually watched his play by play breakdowns describing how a QB processes the information. Naive comment.

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Orlovsky is a very good analyst. He does have a real stiffy for Sam but he also backs it up by breaking down plays and showing you exactly what he’s talking about. You can be good at analyzing something without being good at actually doing it you know. The last three championship coaches were all mediocre players at absolute best.

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I never understood this idea that if you weren't a good player, you can't be a good analyst or coach. Jordan Palmer was a nobody in the NFL, but gives guidance for many young QB's.

14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

He's another ESPN hack, nothing more. The only reason he has a job is because he's a Connecticut native and ESPN has a soft spot for those shills. Nothing naive about my comment. Let me know when Darnold is the best young QB in the NFL. Now THAT is a naive comment.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. Footballgod214

https://nypost.com/2020/06/01/jets-why-the-sam-darnold-believers-are-ready-to-double-down/

Jets finally doing their part to deliver the best Sam Darnold

ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky turned some heads last month when he said on the network that he would take Jets quarterback Sam Darnold if he had his pick of any of the quarterbacks drafted from 2018-20.

That means, yes, he would take Darnold over Lamar Jackson, who won the league MVP last year with the Ravens. Even though Darnold has been inconsistent and has not proven he will be an elite starter in the NFL, Orlovsky believes Darnold has been a victim of being on a bad team.

“I love Lamar Jackson,” Orlovsky, who played 13 seasons in the NFL, told The Post recently. “He is a superstar, but if you mean to me that if Sam Darnold went to a team with a top-five run game and some pretty darn good skill players and a scheme that was absolutely perfect for him and a top-five defense, we wouldn’t think of him differently? We’re in a team where it’s not 20 years ago when quarterbacks make all these other guys better. The other guys make the quarterback better because of the timing and the space of football and the matchups.

“If I had to take a guy in the last three draft classes for the next 10 years, it would still be Sam.”

Darnold is entering his third season with plenty of questions still surrounding him. He has thrown 36 touchdowns and 28 interceptions in his 26 games. He has shown flashes of being special but has yet to put together sustained success. Darnold turns 23 on Friday, so he is still very young. Orlovsky argues we have no idea exactly what Darnold can be yet.

“Anyone who sits there and tells you they can make an evaluation of Sam Darnold, how?” Orlovsky said. “Tell me how. How can you sit there and honestly tell me you can make an evaluation of him of what he is or what he’ll become? He’s been playing with one hand tied behind his back for an extended period of time.”

Orlovsky believes the Jets are now heading in the right direction and Darnold might be able to show what he can do. He lauded the selection of tackle Mekhi Becton by the Jets in the first round of the draft.

“I said that Jets fans would know what their future was going to be like by the 11th pick,” Orlovsky said. “I said that if those receivers that were so enticing fell to the 11th pick and Joe Douglas took one, I’d be upset if I was a Jets fan. As appealing and sexy as they are, it wasn’t the right pick. The right pick was to make the offensive line the priority times 10. I’m hopeful for the Jets and Sam and their fans that there’s a trend that their general manager is starting to get it and solidify what’s around Sam. I’m hopeful that he’s in a good situation going forward.

twown likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Serious question, have you actually watched a single film breakdown that he’s done or are you just a self-loathing Jets fan that wants to be miserable at all times?

SOJAZ likes this.
  17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I've seen his film breakdowns and it doesn't make me think his claim is any less ridiculous at this point.

Do you honestly agree with him that Darnold is the best young QB in the NFL currently or that he'll be best the best of the bunch (from the past 3 draft classes) over the next decade? If you do then your screen name doesn't surprise me one bit. Let the kid have one full stellar season before making such silly, unsubstantiated claims.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That Mahomes kid is pretty good, maybe Orlovsky hasn't seen him play lol

JetsNation06 likes this.
  19. JETS1116

The article that was referenced said DO liked Darnold as the best young QB of the last 3 drafts. 2018-2020. Doesn’t include Patrick Mahomes, so I’m not sure what other QB you would rather have much more than Darnold. Lamar won’t be able to run like he can in a few years, and he’ll begin to struggle. What’s with the ESPN hate, were you fired from there or something?

20. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Well as far as that goes, there’s really no reason for him to slow down that much for a very long time. He’s not taking the punishment a RB does, so without a major injury he should have the same skill set until he is at least 30-33