Jets sign QB Joe Flacco

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, May 22, 2020.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

my post wasnt about what i expect his stats to look like. it was that teams want to win on the rookie contract because its hard to pay a guy 15% of the salary cap and win. jameis winston is 26 and just finished his first contract and did not get resigned with very similar numbers to our golden boy. hes now a backup for something like 1.5 million. my point was i wonder what the jets will do with our "franchise" qb. do they really view him as the "franchise" qb and are they going to be willing to pay him a shit ton of money?

for the first time in my life it seems as though there are more qbs than there are open jobs. which is crazy to think about since it just doesnt happen. and teams are rebooting rather than sticking with guys. shit not even for a 2nd contract, many are walking away on the first contract. its a very interesting time for qbs right now. i can tell you this.

to think a talent like cam newton is jobless right now is amazing, especially since he is probably better than 3/4ths of the qbs with jobs.

2. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

As the pro game morphs more and more into the college game, I expect we'll see even more of this. Step out of college and run the same exact offense at the pro level - for cheaper than the last guy. We'll see QB contract numbers come back down to earth and fewer 15 year careers. The game is changing, that's just the way it is.

alleycat9 likes this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well using terms like 'our golden boy' and 'franchise QB' in the way you phrased them certainly makes me think you're looking at it from a he hasn't been very good angle.

Cam Newton is now made of glass and after injuries it isn't surprising in the least to see him jobless.

alleycat9 likes this.
  4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Having a vet SB winning QB in the QB room will only help Sam. A rookie QB will not provide any value to Sam in the QB room.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  5. alleycat9

no not at all. thats directed toward the guys who are wearing the rose colored glasses. i like darnold, i hope he can lead this team to the promised land. but im realistic in what he has been thus far which is good. not great. i feel like its easy as a fan, especially a fan on a team message board in may to be in love with a guy because you want him to be the one.

K'OB likes this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

True but with the cast he has had he has done well, so we can safely say if he had a better OL and a little more time then he would have utilised his arm better, I am more worried that the beating and chasing pack will lead to him hurrying his throws in future, hopefully not though and he can lay this bloody 'ghosts' thing to bed next season.

alleycat9 likes this.
  7. alleycat9

i hope so, it should be an improved cast at least in front of him this year. i had forgotten about the ghosts thing. its really not a terrible thing to say on a football sideline, just bad when folks who dont understand the game get ahold of it and want to be cute. but thats part of the learning process for a young qb who has huge pressure in his face and guys not doing what he expects them to do. which is how bellichick does it against young qbs.

8. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Some posters stated that he "maybe" (my term) a bad influence on SAM. I suggest that you read this article and maybe you'll see that it was true because of his state of mind which by his own account has changed....
    https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2020/...-mentor-sam-darnold-drew-lock-denver-broncos/

Like some posters have stated, SAM is just turning 23. That is 23 gents w/two years experience in the league with a coaching s*** show for tow years. Like CC stated he was not sure AG intent was to get SAM to own the O - and I dubious myself - but if that happens great... I have faith in JD, SAM, D & ST coaches + the players JD has brought in …

Its time for AG to make the "Offense" CONSISTENTLY (this assumes his PC + in game adj improve measurably) competitive week in and week out. If they look as inept and ill prepared as they did at times last year, then he should be fired. Conversely, however, if they play CONSISTENTLY better and execute then the ship is headed in the right direction.

Frankly, as I have stated before, I have little faith in AG coaching abilities... I hope I am wrong but so far reality says no....

PS - I am on board with this signing... it makes sense and is a good move.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i'm not sure how anyone can complain about this after we were forced to suffer with luke falk for 3 games and it was awful. flacco is probably the bets backup we've had in a long time and he's cheap. Obviously I hope he never has to play but if he does have to fill in a game or 2 at least it gives us a much better chance then falk or fales ever would. and with the 2 extra roster spots this year carrying a 3rd QB is much easier. so it'll be flacco, sam, and the rookie. and hopefully the rookie turns out to be a solid backup

10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Darnold better stay healthy.

Or we could have something similar to a Wentz/Foles situation here.

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Let me explain how anyone can complain.

Joe Flacco was sacked 26 times, lost 3 fumbles and threw 5 INT's in less than half a season in Denver. He was awful on a better team. The Broncos waived him on a failed physical and took a 13.6 million dollar dead cap hit to save 10.05 million. The Broncos have a less experienced starting QB and a VP of football ops who has both won SB's as a QB and put together SB teams as a VP of football ops.

Cheap is relative. We're not getting a 20 million dollar QB. We're getting a broken down QB who failed miserably in his last job when he actually had real incentive to play. He was a bigger failure than Falk based on the commitment and money he took from the Broncos. He failed a physical and was cut by a team that needs a backup who didn't renegotiate his deal. The Broncos are going with Jeff Driskel as the backup to their 2nd year rookie. Yea that Jeff Driskel.

Flacco has made over 160 million. He is being vastly over paid at this point. He took what he could get. That's not cheap. Broken down boxers are worth less than in your prime contenders. It's really that simple.

At least gives us a chance is pure assumption. I think he gives us no chance.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he's an upgrade form falk and simian at the same price. and a backup QB. stop being so miserable about every move lol

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Darnold leads us to 13 wins, gets hurt at the end of the season, and Flacco wins us the SB, I'll be the happiest football fan alive.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  14. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I would rather Darnold led us to 13 wins + a superbowl and an mvp season. Make all the doubter shut up, including myself. I have high hopes for Darnold but I'm not willing to crown him yet.

matt robinson 17, LAJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Flacco may be a broken boxer 'now', but at one time, not that long ago, he was at the top of his game. He won a SB, and was named MVP.

Those are some serious chops and come with experience at the highest level. Having that wisdom and standing next to Sam at crunch time could be a blessing.

NCJetsfan likes this.