RIP Neil Peart

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jixxjr, Jan 10, 2020.

1. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/cel...tuosity-dead-at-67/ar-BBYQ46G?ocid=spartandhp

Another Icon of my youth is gone. RIP Neil.

Neil Peart, Rush Drummer Who Set a New Standard for Rock Virtuosity, Dead at 67

Brian Hiatt
    1 hr ago

Neil Peart, the drummer and lyricist for Rush, died Tuesday, January 7th, in Santa Monica, California at age 67. The cause was brain cancer, which he had been quietly battling for three years, according to Elliott Mintz, a spokesperson for the Peart family. A representative for the band confirmed the news to Rolling Stone.

[​IMG] © Provided by Rolling Stone Rush Recording Permanent Waves
    Peart was widely considered one of the best drummers in rock history, with a flamboyant yet utterly precise style. He joined singer-bassist Geddy Lee and guitarist Alex Lifeson in Rush in 1974, and his virtuosic playing and literate lyrics – which drew on Ayn Rand and science fiction, among other influences – helped make the trio one of the key bands of the classic-rock era. A rigorous autodidact and a gifted writer, he was also the author of numerous books. He was fiercely principled, and never stopped believing in the possibilities of rock and despising what he saw as over-commercialization of the music industry. “It’s about being your own hero,” he told Rolling Stone in 2015. “I set out to never betray the values that 16-year-old had, to never sell out, to never bow to the man. A compromise is what I can never accept.”

“Neil is the most air-drummed-to drummer of all time,” former Police drummer Stewart Copeland said in 2015. “Neil pushes that band, which has a lot of musicality, a lot of ideas crammed into every eight bars — but he keeps the throb, which is the important thing. And he can do that while doing all kinds of cool shit.”

Rush finished their final tour in 2015; Peart was done with the road and eager to spend more time with his wife, Carrie Nuttal, and daughter Olivia.

2. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Seen Rush a dozen times live.

2112 was one of my first albums I ever bought as a kid.

RIP to one of the all time greats.

LogeSection2RowJ and MJK like this.
  3. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

A legend as a drummer & lyricist. RIP NP.

4. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Sad really. He was probably the best drummer I have seen live, followed by his protege.

5. Great drummer.Aside from acouple albums Rush not my fav but undeniable chops & creativity.

6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

RIP The Professor. He was truly an oak amongst maples.

7. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

One of my favorite bands live....it's depressing there's not many great live bands left to see.

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Read a great book he wrote about biking around Africa

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  9. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Lucky to have seen Rush three times. All were great shows. I didn't know about his book detailing motorcycle riding in Africa, but I did read his first book, Ghost Rider. Neil certainly was a unique man. It was astonishing to learn that he was the lyricist for all those great songs. That's unusual for a drummer, let alone a drummer of his caliber and stature. As a motorcycle rider and drummer, I feel doubly sad. The world of music has lost an iconic figure too soon, and since they kept his battle private this has been quite a shock.

If you've read his book(s) you'll know that raising a glass of The Macallan in his memory, is a worthy tribute.

10. Dierking

It was a bicycle tour

11. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

The best there ever was, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Not a RUSH fan because I can't get past Geddy Lee's annoying nails on a blackboard voice. I have the same exact problem with Jon Anderson, so yeah, not a YES fan, either; and Holy Hell, Supertramp, just shoot me now. I like a lot of bands with shitty singers and also a lot of singers who technically have really shitty voices, so I don't know why I can't stomach those 3 guys. I've tripped over my socks before because I couldn't turn off the radio fast enough, believe it. RIP, though. They're dropping like flies. :/

13. Chappy13

Chappy13 Active Member

Greatest drummer of all time? Thoughts?

14. Ginger Baker.

Ralebird likes this.
  15. typeOnegative13NY

IMO, definitely .

Their catalog was so diverse , with ever changing time signatures. A lot of complex stuff. He even changed his whole playing and grip style in the 90s to keep himself fresh. Retiring for the reasons he did(to never let his abilities slip) is honorable, and shows he took his craft very seriously .... unlike a certain band that’s on their tenth retirement tour using lip sync.

#15 typeOnegative13NY, May 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 23, 2020
  16. typeOnegative13NY

Yeah, it’s not for everyone. I feel the same way about the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Can’t stand them, don’t even know why.
    I’ve always liked yes, but would have been nice if they wrote some lyrics that made sense.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  17. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

OUCH! Jetophile I usually really enjoy your posts and thoughts.

While I am well aware, especially with Geddy how Rush is not favored by many, those to bans were my two staples growing up. To this day probably my 2 favorite bands of all time. Yes - Close to the Edge was my first album ever purchased, not on immediately release but for $3.99 at Woolworth’s.
    2112 was a life changing event for me.

Their is a full catalog of top notch instrumentals that one can enjoy the magnificent musicianship of Rush without listening to Glee.

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  18. typeOnegative13NY

There was just something special about those 3 guys. Aside from the musicianship, there were never any scandals , Infighting,replaced members (other than rutsy, but that doesn’t really count ). They always did what they wanted to do. Never influenced by anyone outside their circle.

19. I can appreciate Rush on a technical & artistic level.The talent,chemistry & musical imagery is undeniable. But outside of the classic songs/acouple albums its largely background music nothing to sing along w or raise your fist to..has nothing to do w Geddy really.

Yes definitely spoke to me much more profoundly than Rush ever has.

20. Dierking

Keith Moon.

Geddy Lee sounds like a mosquito with laryngitis