Jets sign QB Joe Flacco

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, May 22, 2020.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Sorry man, but I've seen this movie play out too many times.

[​IMG]

2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Depends on if the Jets consider it “likely” or “unlikely” for him to achieve those incentives.

If they deem it “unlikely,” it will not count against the cap. If he achieves them, they will count against the 2021 cap.

If they deem it “likely” it will count against the cap. Then if he does not achieve them, they will get a “cap refund” so to speak which will be reflected on the 2021 cap.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Do you seriously think that will happen? The only way I see that happening is if Sam is too soft mentally, too nice on the field, and doesn't have the competitive fire and killer instinct. In that scenario, it would probably be the right decision, but I don't see that happening at all. If it comes out that Douglas undermined Sam by not making WR more of a priority, then I'll want Douglas' head regardless if Morgan develops or not, but I'm not worried about that happening. Douglas doesn't seem like the egocentric, devious kind to put his ego over the team. What's best for the Jets is if Sam develops into a true FQB. Unless Gase holds him back, I think that will happen.

GreenWhiteandGold likes this.
  4. Vader

Vader Member

Douglas is also showing loyalty and good faith with this move. Other players notice when management is loyal and not business-craven.

alleycat9 likes this.
  5. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

Exactly what I thought as well :D

K'OB likes this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Because that would mean we have had another two seasons of failure and the fact that we hope that Darnold will have a big season this time around and if that is true then he will not be traded, well unless he asks for 140m for his next contract :rolleyes:

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I too would rather see Morgan if Darnold goes down. You have a better chance catching fire with a rookie than just another retread.

With that being said, he is the best of the remaining retreads and this offensive cast (assuming the offensive line holds up) is a good fit for his skill set. A lot of deep speed and he has a big arm.

I'd still rather see Morgan though. And I think you think he has a sulking attitude a bit more than he actually does because of the way his face looks.

We keep signing more and more veterans to block out draft picks from playing.

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

do you really think that joe flacco wouldnt have been a welcomed face during the 4 weeks that darnold was out last year? the team would have at least looked semi competent.

both flacco and lock had 1 good win last year. flacco vs the titans and lock vs the texans. while flacco is not going to be any kind of savior he can at least understand an offense, take snaps and keep the team in a game or two. which i have no faith that morgan can, whatever in the world he is. and for 1.5 million there really is no cost issue. hes an old man, just hanging on happy to be a backup. if the morgan kid is better and darnold goes down and hes ready to play i dont think the jets will give a shit if they bypass flacco. however if he isnt ready and cant handle going from FIU to the nfl then the vet will step in.

i surely wouldnt want to say oh well we can just hope that darnold doesnt get hurt or well the kid can handle it when nobody has even seen him in minicamp. thats a recipe for disaster.

LAJet likes this.
  9. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Because the hope is that the situation is Darnold is where people believe he can be, a top NFL QB and Morgan the unknown prayer for another team.

A Flynn, Cassel, Hasselbeck, Mitchell type who some team pays for.

If youre dreaming of a perfect situation why would you dream up one where your starting QB is only ok?

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Everyone forgets Parcels first year here. We are 9 and 6 with a chance to make the playoffs in our last game against the Lions. He benches O'Donnell when we were leading 10 6 for Ray Lucas and verbally rip the shit out of O'Donnell on the sidelines. He reinserted him. O'Donnell completes a 33 yard pass to Chrebet that gets us inside the Detroit 10. Trailing by a field goal, Parcels calls a halfback option and Leon Johnson throws a pick. Game over no playoffs. I always felt Parcel's really didn't believe that QB's were that important.

Yesterday I watched a great program on the NFL channel about Staubach. Landry probably cost Dallas at least 1 SB by splitting time between Staubach and White. Bob Lilly was disgusted with the lack of leadership that Landry created and Dallas was struggling. The Defense had a team meeting and went to Landry and told him to pick one QB to lead the team. Landry committed to Staubach and the Cowboys took off and won the SB that year.

Parcels was a fundamentally sound HC and a master at manipulating players. He was essentially a defensive coach and didn't respect the QB position that much.

#110 Biggs, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
    ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I think Flacco would have been destroyed in that 4 week period and it might have lead to the team quitting and we might not have bounced back with Sam.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Yes, I remember that halfback pass. I agree that Parcell's didn't believe that QBs were that important, and that was a major flaw in his coaching philosophy. In his eyes QBs were the enemy. Someone to be controlled, restricted so they couldn't hurt the team. I think that was a product of his being "old school" (running the ball and defense was the way to win) and a defensive coach, but he took it to pathological extremes.

Just as there's a thin line between genius and insanity, the same things that can make us great at what we do can also undermine us if/when we take it to extremes, and the things that are our strengths, can also become our weaknesses.

Parcells could be a master manipulator, but I think he also ruined some players or kept them from reaching their potential. Not everyone responds well to being brow-beaten, manipulated and insulted.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

An established veteran at a position of leadership, that gets discouraged can really drag a team to the depths of team sport hell. I think it's a good point.

I wonder if he's even going to make the roster though at this point.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Phil Simms was his starting QB. Jeff Hostetler was a backup that he won a Super Bowl with.

There was never a competition between the two of them and Parcells never contemplated benching Simms - using Hostetler when Simms was injured twice.

Ray Handley was the guy who benched Simms near the end of his career and then put him back in as the starter when it became clear that Simms was the better QB even at the ripe old age of 38.

15. Br4d

To quote Guy Fleegman: do you even watch the show!?

16. NCJetsfan

Dude, enough with that BS. I've seen both Sam and Flacco play, and I constantly read articles, reports of games, and the comments on this site.

Your comment was stupid and you know it can't be defensed, so you resort to taking a cheap shot. Really classy. Flacco is toast. Everyone here seems to know that but you. To suggest that there will a QB controversy is laughable. You sound like you've never watched either Sam or Flacco play or know anything about them with your comment.

17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Now Morgan is the next Brady and forces Darnold out the door :confused: This board is turning into bizarro world. Please live sports, come back soon, you're sorely needed.

alleycat9, MJK and J-Raw24 like this.
  18. Br4d

Again: do you even watch the Jets from year to year?

There will be a QB controversy the first time the Jets lose a couple of games in a row with Darnold being part of the reason that happens.

Sam Darnold is not the guy Joe Douglas picked. He's the guy the who got picked by the guy who failed around here last.

Joe Flacco on the other hand has history with Joe Douglas. JD would not have signed him if he had any problems with Adam Gase deciding to go with him in a pinch.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I have more than shown my knowledge of the Jets and the game on this site. I watch them when they're on locally. I've not been willing to spend my money on the sorry ass product the Jets have had on the field the last several years. The fact that you keep bringing that up shows how classless, shallow, and narrow-minded you are. So I'm done with you after this post. This isn't the first time you've posted totally lame stupid shit on this site. I decided to give you a 2nd chance this year, but you've proven that you aren't worthy of it. Have a nice life.

I'm also fully aware of Jets' history. The fact that Joe Flacco has history with Douglas doesn't mean squat. Flacco is 35 and was never that good to begin with. He was always a limited QB. His own father has said that he has accepted the fact that he is no longer a starter and will have be a backup if he is to continue playing in the NFL. Douglas isn't stupid. Just because Sam has a bad game or two, Douglas isn't going to want him benched in favor of Flacco. That's just stupid beyond words. You're the only one here that thinks that's a possibility. That should tell you something.

20. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Actually not signing Flaco just filled that hole...which is my point...unless one of those 20 holes you are talking about is a practice squad QB.