This Joe D guy doesn’t look half bad, eh?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, May 23, 2020.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If the plan is to take another WR early in next year's draft, I can live with only getting one this year. Breaking in two rookie WR's is not ideal for a 3rd year QB looking to make a leap into above average status. So, I can understand the reasoning on the condition that WR will be a high priority to address next year.

ColoradoContrails, mattyd99 and twown like this.
  2. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

IMO Crowder is an above average slot receiver. He runs good routes and has some elusiveness.

I really liked the sequence when he dropped a sure easy TD, then converted a real tough catch the very next play. I liked the mental toughness to do that.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I prefer Anderson for his chemistry with Darnold, Doctson has done nothing of note in the NFL, and I wouldn't call Crowder excellent. Also, PFF has our WR corps 28th in the NFL. https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2020-nfl-season-receiving-corps-rankings

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

There’s no way you should be complaining about the WR corps if you felt a 3rd/4th round selection would make a big difference here. The Jets nabbed by most pundits a 1st round type talent in the 2nd round. Grabbing a guy like Tyler Johnson shouldn’t make this group go from mediocre to “now I feel ready to go to war with this group” cmon. I know youth is the way to go but it wouldn’t have make or break the group anyways.

5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The schedule this year is BRUTAL and that's a tough break still if after 8 weeks we're staring at a record similar to the one we had last season at the same point the last thing I'll want to hear is what a wonderful job this GM is doing here.

Spare me the "but it takes time" excuse while Buffalo prepares to contend for a AFC East title/make a playoff run.

6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I understand what you’re saying but theoretically the Jets can be a better team this year with a worse record due to the strength of their opponents. It may sound like a broken record but 2020 is about where they stand going into 2021.

We are about a year behind Buffalo in regards to talent collecting.

7. WarriorRB28

Find a way to get a split of the first two games of the season then find a way to to get to 500 or close to it at the midpoint of the season.

Give the fans some hope, some excitement in November & December.

A playoff appearance against that schedule may be too much to ask for so if they're in position to contend for one in November & December but fall short I'd consider 2020 a successful season.

Making the playoffs playing that schedule would be a incredible achievement.

But if they're 1-7, 2-6 at the midpoint of the season there's no soft second half of the schedule to save their behinds in 2020.

blackssmagic likes this.
  8. WarriorRB28

You are what your record says you are. Wait until 2021 when they play a softer schedule so they can put together a paper tiger 9 or 10 wins season?

Yeah the schedule is tough this year. Iron sharpens iron.

Show us something THIS season.

1-7, 2-6 followed by 3-13 or 4-12 what's so impressive about that?

9. CotcheryFan

This can't be emphasized enough. The Bills built around Allen while Sam had to deal with a below average(might be generous) OL and WR group.

10. mrjet80

That’s because Mac didn’t know anything about the fundamentals of building a team the proper way. He simply wasn’t aggressive enough and apparently very thick headed. A team isn’t going anywhere without properly investing in an OL. A team isn’t going anywhere when the GM continues to trade back and back without any idea of what player he wants. Give JD some time - the Jets are going to be a top team soon. Probably not in 2020 but I really think 2021 is going to start turning heads.

11. mrjet80

Well....nothing. I’m not expecting 4-12 UNLESS there are some catastrophic injuries. Let’s put it this way if the Jets had the 2020 schedule in 2019 they would have easily finished 3-13 or 4-12....

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Well isn’t it not really fair to include him then?
    Why not say Mims and Perriman are a downgrade from Marshall and Decker? They were key contributors at one point.

Our WR corps last year was primarily Robby Anderson, Demaryius Thomas, and Jamison Crowder.

This year We’re looking at Denzel Mims, Breshad Perriman, and Jamison Crowder. I would say that is anywhere from barely better to much better, but that’s just my opinion.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  13. Buffalo is indeed ahead of us but like our high end talent better than their’s. If we can get things rolling by 21 jets could actually surpass them.

I dont think the Jets are a horrible team anymore. just dont think the Offense has that playmaker on the boundary they can count on for consistent production from week to week & still lacks an edge rusher to close out games.

Edge Rusher & WR.The 2 catalysts that dont seem to go away.

i expect a repeat 7-9 season

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Enuwa was not a factor last year, or this year. That comparison has no value. Anderson as much as I like him was in an out of games, disappearing in a few. Let’s stop trying to draw a huge gap by missing Anderson. We were weak then, and marginal now unless Mims steps up and delivers. The fact that he is a second round rookie means diddly shit to me at this point. Many second rounders have lit the field as rookies. Also I don’t think we are done with our WR core. The fact still remains that when we went OL with the first round our options were limited for a WR. Yes we could have gone back for an additional WR after Mims but he would have been yet another 3rd round rookie. Sam might not have the elite WR corps we would like, but sure as shit has much better protection, the ability to actually stand in the pocket and deliver, and the chance for a much better running game, with RB that can actually catch the ball. Far, far better than last year.

15. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Per study, the New York Jets did better than any team in the NFL Draft in obtaining 'draft capital'

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/ny-jets-nfl-draft-sixth-draft-capital

The New York Jets had one of the best performances in last month’s NFL Draft, a haul of nine players that addressed needs and added some badly needed depth. In fact, it was the best draft in the NFL according to an analytical study of the metrics of the draft.

Heading into the draft, the Jets ranked eleventh in the league in terms of draft capital but with plenty of needs and holes on both sides of their two-deep, it wasn’t simply enough for them to sit on their original seven picks. Twice, general manager Joe Douglas made trades in the draft, accruing picks (and even making a trade for a selection in 2021). What Douglas was able to do was turn his original six selections into eight picks, allowing him at the top half of the draft to add several starting caliber rookies in positions of need such as left tackle, wide receiver and defensive end.

Then he was able to secure several other players who will be instant contributors and could well develop into prominent players or starters within a season or two.

In fact, no team in the league did more to gain additional draft capital than the Jets who, according to OverTheCap.com, leapt to sixth in the NFL Draft in terms of draft capital.

"Joe Douglas and company approached their first draft with a patient mindset. They are thinking long-term and not falling for the fallacy of getting 'their guy’,” said Brad Spielberger (@BradOTC) of Over The Cap.

"They were able to move back in the second and still take a stud wide receiver that had been mocked in the first round for months in Baylor's Denzel Mims."

The draft for the Jets was dominated by a couple of storylines, including the selection of a much-needed left tackle in the first round (Mekhi Becton). In addition, the pick of Mims in the second round, a move that was remarkable given that the Jets moved back from No. 48 and still got Mims 11 picks later, could well develop into the stuff of folk lore.

But another move that went under the radar a bit was trading with the New England Patriots. It may have angered hardcore fans to trade with a division rival and a hated one at that but sending No. 101 to New England for No. 125 and No. 129 plus a sixth round selection next year was a good move according to Spielberger.

“Later in the draft they landed a great deal with the New England Patriots. For years, the Patriots were the ones stockpiling Draft capital with trade backs while other teams jumped up to take players that busted as often as they hit,” Spielberger said. “Joe Douglas demonstrated he has good relationships with everyone in the NFL, including the bitter division-rival Patriots, and had himself a stellar draft debut."

#35 LF911SC, May 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 23, 2020
  16. CotcheryFan

I expect Mims to mainly be a red zone threat as he works on his route running. His year 2 production will show if he's on track to be a #1. As I said earlier, breaking in two rookie WR's is not ideal, so taking one this year might not be a bad thing if the plan is to get another WR early in the 2021 draft. Right now, I see Ja'Marr Chase and DeVonta Smith as the most NFL ready WR's with Justyn Ross not far behind. Any of those three with a more complete Mims and we suddenly have a dynamic WR duo.

Edge could've been filled if Allen was taken at 3 last year. I know you wanted Oliver, so we'll agree to disagree there. Maybe Zuniga becomes a better version of Jenkins. I really wanted Weaver, but what do I know.

17. Agreed about Mims being a RZ threat early as well as off schedule sam plays where he comes back to the ball & boxes guys out.

My problem w WR is that after Crowder & Mims there are no long term pieces.Perriman’s on a 1 yr deal & believe Doctson is as well. Even if the second WR they wouldve drafted sat for most of the yr,at least there’d be a pipeline headed into next season & beyond. As it stands they still have major work to do w this unit,though most dont wanna hear this.

If we couldnt have offense i wanted Allen above all. I only preferred Oliver over Quinnen & liked the idea of Oliver playing 0-1T right over the ball. But no way did i want another DT taken that early.

ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  18. CotcheryFan

Oh, my bad. I thought you wanted Oliver above all if we went defense.

As for the WR's, you're not wrong at all for thinking that. I'm just trying to see the logic in taking one WR without thinking the worst. What Douglas does next year will be telling. If he doesn't select a WR by the end of day 2, I'll begin to question if he values the position.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I agree with most of what you said here. It won't take much for Doctson and Perriman to produce at the highest level of their pro careers, because they haven't done much at all yet. Is this because they are bad players, or they lacked opportunity? Docston was drafted in the 1st round and had two years on the Redskins, who were a complete dumpster fire with a rotating cast of bad QBs and one year on the Vikings where he didn't start a single game. Perriman was drafted in the 1st round and bounced around to 3 teams in 4 years where he never started more than 4 games in a single year. I would look at this situation differently if these were guys who started and played on functional teams for a few years and were then cut loose after not doing much. Perriman especially has shown flashes of brilliance that I think bode well for his future prospects.

Coming into this off season we had a shitload of holes to fill and it simply wasn't possible to address them all. I'm a strong believer that it all starts up front, and that it doesn't really matter how good your skilled players are if you can't block or protect your qb. JD clearly prioritized rebuilding our OL this year while also managing to grab Mims and the two aforementioned 1st round picks. When you add a healthy Chris Herndon and Ryan Griffin in at TE I think Sam will have a good mix of targets to get the ball downfield too while staying upright. Hopefully this was the right strategy - we'll see.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. mrjet80

Mac shit the bed by taking Q. Once again the BPA philosophy bit the Jets in the ass....Q may be a good player but not as the #3 overall pick. Allen would of filled a key position that the Jets have lacked for over 10 years now.....