Jets sign QB Joe Flacco

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, May 22, 2020.

1. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Depends on how the incentives are written in the contract. If they are easily achieved they count against current year cap. If they are unlikely to be achieved targets they count against the next year's cap.

2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I think he could be a good veteran presence for both QBs but particularly Morgan because theyre a similar style QB. It would be great to win that lottery where we have two great QBs and we can trade Morgan away for a 3rd or better.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

A pay cut to zero was deserved. Flacco proved last year he is done. Bad QB, doesn't give a shit attitude with a history of sulking as a backup.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

how can he have a “history of sulking as a backup” when he’s never been a backup?

And if I understand it, the signing was for 1 year and $1.5 mill. IF he has a bad attitude, and that’s an if, you simply cut him. The Jets spend more on talcum powder, Johnson’s and Johnson”s brand of course

you just doing the devils advocate thing here for fun?

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

What if the $3M incentive is unlikely to be met (such as Flacco must be named SB MVP for the jets) and the incentive is NEVER met? Will it ever count against the cap?

6. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i dont see how anyone could be against this move. its a veteran backup so that we dont have what happened last year happen again if he needs to play he will hopefully be able to hold the fort and not look completely out of his league. the price is right, the understanding is correct. i see no issues. this is a standard type move that good gms make.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

What makes you think he can hold the Fort? In 2018 he went 4 and 5 on a team that went 6 and 1 with a rookie QB. In 2019 he went 2 and 6 with a team that went 4 and 1 with a rookie starting. What makes you think Flacco brings more to the table than Morgan?

It looks like he has vastly underperformed QB's with zero experience who were backing him up. There is nothing remotely "Hold the Fort" in his resume. If Sam goes down from an STD this year I would much rather see Morgan.

#87 Biggs, May 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Red Menace likes this.
  8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

It's just for a year. Captain Morgan will assume position as first mate in 2021

FJF and BrowningNagle like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It boils down to: they had to sign someone besides Fales, and who was available and better than Flacco? Add to that JD's history with him, it all lines up. Hopefully he never sees the field for more than a few plays. If he shows himself to be an asshole and sulky and washed up as Biggs fears, they can cut him loose.

My guess is that he has been hurt worse than he let anyone know, and hopefully the surgery has fixed that issue, and he's anxious to prove he's not washed up, so we should get his best effort. Even his worst effort would be better than Fales or Falk.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

That's a rum old thought process ;)

Brook! and stinkyB like this.
  11. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

For $1.5 million, this is a solid deal. A well above average backup QB. Not my favorite starter, but that's good value for the dollar.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Hopefully Flacco has a tip or 2 about throwing the deep ball

Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. UK jet

UK jet Member

Good move IMO
    The one I wanted given the QBs left and for 1.5-3mil can't really argue
    Maybe Flacco wanted to come here because of JD who knows

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It doesn't set up a QB controversy at all. Sorry, but that's just ridiculous imo. Flacco was never that good and he's pretty much toast now. How in the world does that set up a QB controversy?

LF911SC and Brook! like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Parcells was an asshole and talked out of both sides of his mouth. Was he not the HC of the Giants when they had Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler? This is utter nonsense.

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I can't say that I'm excited that we signed Flacco, as I didn't really want him, but imo we needed a veteran backup QB and the price was right. At this point there is probably no one better that's available. Fales shouldn't have been the backup and Morgan needs to spend the year working on fundamentals and learning the offense. It's a solid signing and hopefully fixes the backup QB spot for this season.

cval, Pepsiguy5, FinnishJET and 3 others like this.
  17. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Let's not forget he benched Simms for ... Scott Brunner... real head scratcher there. Speaking of which Lehman Brothers used to host a "meet the Giants" night. Guests would eat dinner in the practice bubble then they would hand out autograph balls to the kids, the players would come in, sit at players tables and sign autographs for the kids. Afterward the kids got to go inside the stadium and participate in various stations to throw the ball, catch it, kick field goals, run with the ball etc. and there were retired Giants inside the stadium to speak with and sign things as well. I got to speak with my fav Giant, Mark Bavaro for about 25 min.

In the far corner of the practice bubble I saw a spare autograph ball so I went over to check it out and see if it was deflated etc. Turns out it was fine but there was only one signature on the ball.... Scott Brunner. Clearly the parent of the kid that had him sign it wasn't happy and got rid of the ball and asked for a clean one ; ) I grabbed the ball and my kids used it to play with in the back yard while their signed balls were enclosed in glass and in their bedrooms.

Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

Florham Flacco. Cue the parade

19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

A lot of Giants chat and memorabilia in the house of a Jets fan :eek:

Brook! likes this.
  20. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

This scenario where Morgan turns out to be good has been mentioned dozens of times and every time Morgan is the one being traded away, why does no one see a scenario where Darnold is the one traded and Douglas holds onto the qb he drafted?