This Joe D guy doesn’t look half bad, eh?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, May 23, 2020.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I don’t know man. Seems like we found our guy finally. I am almost going to let my guard down and jump on Jets play off wagon.

We need a Pass Rusher and a vet WR then Gase won’t really have any excuses.

He really did a lot of things right on paper. Now time to see results but this guy really impressed me.

Kudos JoeD. You are the man!!!

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

A lot of positive moves but if Mims doesn’t pan out then he will have severely screwed up the WR situation when there were a lot of good options on the table. I hope Becton is the stud LT we haven’t had since Brick but in order to justify passing on Lamb and Jeudy (I believe both will be stars) then Becton is going to HAVE to be a stud.

Everywhere else it’s pretty hard to complain. The OL is totally revamped. The RB room got better although that’s up to the coach to actually use them correctly. The secondary is improved and he’s clearly still looking to improve it. James Morgan is the only questionable move he made.

3. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The W-L column will tell the tale.

As always.

4. Brook!

As my grandpa @Cman65 always says, show me the money. We will wait and see but I am hopeful after a long time.

Cman68 likes this.
  5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

They seem to be happy with the current WR group atm. I think they need another veteran with a decent floor it would ease my fears a bit since Perriman is question mark and Mims year 1 is a question mark.

Having no one special at edge has been a Jets tradition since John Abraham left. Hopefully we get one next year.

6. UK jet

UK jet Member

Think it's harsh to say he's screwed up WR if Mims doesn't pan out.
    I thought he played a blinder trading back in the 2nd round

Brook! likes this.
  7. Love everything EXCEPT the WR situation. Think thats a disaster & cant understand how it can continue to be de-valued w a young QB who needs help.

boozer32, MJK, NYJalltheway and 6 others like this.
  8. Brook!

Kurt. I don't think he is done yet. I expect at least 1 or probably 2 more serviceable vets being added when the dust clears.

9. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think JD knows D. Thomas will always be there & he knows the playbook. I'ld like them to bring him back as insurance in case our WR's don't pan out the way we expect. He played well for us last year.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think it's harsh at all. I like Douglas a lot, and he got great value in Mims, but WR was a huge need for the team and for Sam, and I think one can fairly criticize Douglas at this point for not addressing WR more substantially in the draft. Now if Perriman, Herndon ,and Doctson play well, and Mims doesn't, it will make matters less bad if Mims doesn't pan out, but this was one of the best classes of WRs in draft history. IMO there's no excuse for not addressing the position more substantially. I understand that the Jets were limited with what they could do in FA, especially if it's true that the Johnsons put the brakes on the spending in FA. We didn't have all that much cap space anyway. The OL was a disaster last season, and even with Douglas having signed a bunch of FA OL, I think he had to take Becton in the 1st round or trade down if he wanted to be certain of keeping Sam upright and healthy. Thus, I don't think he could have seriously considered Lamb or Jeudy unless all 4 of the top OTs were gone by the Jets' pick at #11.

Where I think that Douglas may have screwed up is not taking a WR in the 3rd or 4th round. Again, I understand that we had other needs like Edge and CB, and that Greg Williams may have been pissed if Douglas didn't upgrade that unit. Davis may be a great player and Zuniga may prove to be a very good pick as well, but even as badly as we needed an edge rusher, imo WR was a bigger need because of Sam and the offense having been so neglected for so long. Hopefully, it all works out and the players Douglas picked will prove to be at least solid, contributing pros, but if Mims flops and Perriman, Herndon and Doctson don't stay healthy and aren't productive, then I think it's fair to say that Douglas screwed up.

#10 NCJetsfan, May 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 23, 2020
  11. NCJetsfan

I sure hope that you are right!

KurtTheJetsFan and Brook! like this.
  12. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

Every trade, draft, signing, cut... looks great, every off season ...then the real season starts....

jixxjr and HomeoftheJets like this.
  13. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I don't understand how so many think our WR situation is a disaster. Aside from Mims we picked up two former first round picks in Perriman and Doctson in the off season and we still have Crowder waiting in the wings. Perriman and Doctson haven't done much so far in their careers but both are coming from very shaky organizations and Perriman was playing 3rd fiddle to Mike Evans and several others. Obviously things could be better but the way I see it we have more talent at WR than we've had in a while.

14. NCJetsfan

We may have more talent than we've had in a while, but that's not saying much. Also, talent is great, but is pretty meaningless unless that talent creates production and wins. Neither Perriman nor Doctson are sure things. One of the things a young QB needs to help him develop is to be surrounded with talented playmakers. Mims was a playmaker in college, but hasn't done anything in the NFL yet. I think he will, but it may take some time. Doctson has done practically nothing in the NFL. He has been on IR 2 of his 4 years in the NFL and has yet to play a full season. Hopefully, he can stay healthy and begin showing why he was a #1 pick, but the Jets can hardly count on him to be very productive. In spite of only having one 1,000 yard season in college, Breshard Perriman was a 1st round pick of the Ravens. He has not fared much better than Doctson. While he only missed his rookie season (2015) due to being on IR, he has not started very many games in his career in spite of his being a 1st round pick. At least his 2nd year in the NFL he appeared in every game. Last season he appeared in the 2nd most games of his career (14) and had his most productive season. Hopefully, that wasn't just a product of Bruce Arians and his system, and the light has finally gone on with him. If Sam is going to develop into a FQB and the Jets have a chance to win many games this season, both Doctson and Perriman are going to have to produce at the highest levels of their careers.

#14 NCJetsfan, May 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 23, 2020
  15. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

A solid off season for sure.

Im just concerned its a lot of signings that may span only 1yr and we are looking at another overhaul next off season.. but in the NFL there is a lot more roster building each year as compared to other sports.

16. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

On paper JD has certainly made the right moves. We still haven’t seen some of these guys on the field.....and in past years that has been the true downfall - signing/drafting the wrong players.

As a GM he has filled holes very prudently, made some wise trades, and hasn’t ignored positions simply because of cost, or inconvenient draft positioning. He has made some good trades during the draft as well - how well the players perform remains to be seen.

As a fan, I get the sense the Jets are in good hands and aren’t building a ‘looks good on paper’ team. In other words this is pretty much a complete rebuild from the inside out (sans the QB) rather than plucking big name players in FA and then hoping to get lucky in the draft. That was the old way.

There is still plenty of work to be done - namely skill positions and pass rush but the Jets seem to be a better team then they were at the end of 2019.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Perriman and Doctson are worse than Anderson and Enunwa. Crowder is an average slot receiver, and Mims is a rookie second rounder. That's a weak group.

18. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Enunwa barely played at all. You really can’t even count him.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Last year yes but there was a time when he was a key contributor.

20. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I would say Perriman and Anderson are a coin flip. Both can produce good games and both can disappear for long stretches. Enunwa was much better than Doctson but he’ll probably never play again - not much we can do there. Crowder is better than average - excellent slot WR maybe not quite pro bowl but close.

That being said the Jets are an injury away from being pretty desperate in the WR area. I expect a lot in the short passing game such as dump offs to Bell and Gore. It is a work in progress. Expect another high WR draft pick next year.....hopefully we see good things from Mims.