PFT: Jets in the mix for Devonta Freeman

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WarriorRB28, May 21, 2020.

1. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

This guy would give the Jets some serious depth at RB. He's still in his prime years too unlike Gore but it makes me wonder what the plan is.

It looks like they're going to run the ball A LOT but is that what they drafted Darnold for? To hand off the football A LOT in his third year?

Good player if he's healthy. He could start if he's given a real chance.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...eagles-also-have-interest-in-devonta-freeman/

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Makes no sense whatsoever.

wewantsapp, BudJet and jacktucky like this.
  3. Hey if you cant get WRs get a bunch of RBs who can catch.

While unconventional id support it. Thats assuming the OL has improved enough to allow RBs to release out of the backfield.

Keeps Bell fresh,frankly motivates him to want to compete & lets the rookie develop at his own pace.

I do hope it’d be about the receiving aspect & not more conservative 3 yards & a cloud of dust.But than again the WR corps is still the worst in the NFL...

At this stage Darnold needs playmakers around him..regardless of position

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Why? How about filling a real area of need at Edge or Another WR

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

There’s really not a wr available equal to what freeman is as a running back . Not sure what’s going on with the few edge guys available. They may be waiting on June 1st.
    This makes little sense though. Running back room is pretty crowded already. I wonder if the interest they showed was prior to signing Gore and the agents are using a half truth to drum up business?

Brook! and The Waterboy like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

3-5 new starters on the o line with a reduced practice schedule. Power run game might have to carry the offense until the line can gel.

Cman68 likes this.
  7. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

From a cap sense it does make perfect sense.

The RB position has become so devalued moneywise in the modern game yet the demands of the position haven't changed at all.

It's entirely possible to build a super unit at RB without coming close to busting the salary cap.

Thing is for the Jets to take full advantage of this super unit they'd have to ask Darnold to hand off a LOT and dump off A LOT. Why trade up to #3 to draft Darnold only to ask him to do that?

LAJet likes this.
  8. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Running back isn't as important as before BUT running back depth is vital. We can't go into the season with just 3 guys. The position isn't a durable one, and we want to keep guys fresh. Look how many guys the Chiefs went through last season. As long as it doesn't break the bank, it's a solid signing.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Freeman probably will not cost much at all at this point. I’m in for a low cost deal. Maybe not even keep him when the season arrives.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

That was my thought as soon as I read it, Jets may not have even had interest to begin with but the agent could get someone to start the rumor to bump up his asking price.

FJF likes this.
  11. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

He turned down $4M so far so would at least take that to get him

12. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Sign him and give Frank Gore the Drew Stanton treatment.

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

That would mean 4 RBs on the roster in Bell, Gore, Perrine and Freeman. It would seem to make it very hard for Cannon to make the team soley as our ST gunner. Not sure how bad Cannon's foot injury is that plagued him all last year and eventually put him on IR but at one time it had been said he was our best ST player but that does not help a lot if he cannot get on the field.

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I like this post. The reason to not pay them is they usually don't continue to have huge production year after year. Teams with great production out of the position can and do win in the NFL. If you can get good ones cheap without a long term commitment it's probably a reasonable use of the cap space.

Nothing wrong with handing off and dumping off if it sets up your downfield passing game.

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Isn't Bell getting $15 million this year? He needs to be the #1 guy and getting the ball a lot. I was cool with Perine being the 3rd down back. Maybe some of those plays Bell can spread out and become a WR. He needs to be on the field though. That is what he is being paid to do. I don't really see much room for Gore to get touches, let alone bringing in Freeman. It's clear Gase does not like Bell and he likely won't be on the 2021 roster. (Gase may not be either!) It feels like the Jets are preparing for life without Bell already and I am not sure that is the right approach.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Would rather have Freeman than Gore but with Gore already here I don't see how this makes sense. If you want more depth just keep Powell on the team

17. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Every time I start getting hyped for next season THIS is one of the biggest reasons my hype comes crashing down. Gase is a dick and will pick fights with players/refuse to use them properly bc it's not his way.
    I want to believe things with Gase will improve but we're not going to win until he changes this mindset.
    He should be looking at the talent we have and scheming to get the most out of it instead of coming up with a scheme and refusing to make use of anyone who doesn't fit exactly what he wants to do

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We're in the Jet lag period on free agency.

Agents, writers and rumormongers are still using the Jets as fodder for the beast that lives in the rumor mill. We'll probably see the phenomenon tail off some after the Jets first acceptable season is in the books.

When you become a laughingstock the hilarity sticks around a bit longer than it should.

19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

It actually makes perfect sense.

An inexpensive weapon on an offense that severely lacked weapons last year. He's a pass catching back that is still a really good talent. Gore, Bell, and Freeman would be one hell of a backfield for Darnold.

20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Yeah because there are tons of available free agents at WR and Edge Rusher that are equivalent to the talent level as Freeman at his position