ESPN: Sam Darnold best young QB in the NFL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, May 19, 2020.

1. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Baloney.

I wish it were true but he ain't in the same zip code as Mahomes yet. Heck Josh Allen is ahead of him right now.

2. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Just like to point out that Sam Darnold will be entering his 3rd season at age 23. He's the same age as a bunch of guys entering their 2nd season and even younger than Joe Burrow. He's also way younger than Mayfield, a year younger than Allen, and half a year younger than Jackson. Darnold is young for the experience he has. Doesn't mean much in the end, but I think he's done well with what he had over the past two years. I'm hoping to see him make a big step this year.

3. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

They hire scrubs and failed ex-head coaches like Rex now. I mentioned this a while back.

No doubt it costs less than hiring proven winners, champions but it also cheapens the analysis that's given.

Bring in champions, Super Bowl winning head coaches & players, players that have won league MVP, DPOY, OPOY, broken records then the words would carry some weight.

To say something like that based on absolutely nothing is insulting my intelligence. I wish he were but he's not close to being the best of anything right now.

That's not to say that he can't someday be that I hope he is.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Every year Lamar has played the fundamentals in terms of him throwing the football has improved massively, go back to his Louisville days it is night and day. Last year he was 28-0 in the RZ throwing the football for TDs-INTs

I also want to re-iterate the below:

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Someone didn’t read the article or did and didn’t understand it. Either way... embarrassing..

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he has the leadership, focus, and good attitude that mayfield doesn't have

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Read it anyway you want. It doesn't change what I said one bit. If you choose to be delusional then so be it.

8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Major scrubs. Dan Orlovsky? LOL ESPN is good for live sports and some shows like 30/30 and Jordan doc. Their talking heads are primarily awful.

9. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

It is not a one hit injury why QBs that are run first do not have the longevity. It is the repeated wear and tear and pounding similar to a RB very few running backs last into their 30’s and still and are as productive as they were.
    I really like Lamar but have serious doubts he can keep it up for another 8-10 years.

10. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

This. The same reason rbs careers are generally very short. Running in the nfl and taking hits takes a huge toll.

11. 101GangGreen101

Wear and tear can happen to any qb. Andrew Luck? Russell Wilson has been playing with a horrible offensive line his entire career.

Tony Romo might still be playing today. Its those shots to the shoulder and back that can end a QBs career early. The key is to be smart and RG3 told scramblers the wrong way to be a dual threat. You also forgot my key detail. Lamar has improved as a passer each year hes played football and honestly he is more accurate deep down the field then Darnold. His game will evolve.

12. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Andrew Luck was partly his own fault because he wouldn't slide. He went straight into contract. It was also the FOs fault because they refused to get him an oline. Romo had the same issue, Dak has a good oline. But they weren't so good until recently and he wasn't very mobile. Wilson has had a bad o line but he knows how to move around the pocket and avoid contact. Jackson is a run first qb. I am a UofL fan. He is getting better than he was when I watch him here. But he has a ways to go. Hopefully he can be like Wilson and learn to pass and use that first and mobility second.

13. 101GangGreen101

They got some weapons out in Baltimore, I see less designed QB runs and more targets to Hollywood Brown and Andrews. Been saying it for years the guy can sling it.

You can make up all those excuses for the FO being inept but at the end of the day, being a dual threat qb doesn't correlate to a more injury prone career.

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Your argument that dual threat QBs don't get hurt doesn't really get at the main issue with them. Even if they don't get hurt, they do lose their speed in their early 30s, which means they decline faster than pocket passers.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

And some become better passers like Vick and Cunningham, and Alex Smith. Steve Young? It's all about perfecting your craft at an early age. Lamar, you'll see him having less designed runs as his career progresses.

At the end of the day it's about durability when you are young.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Vick made his last Pro Bowl at 30 and played his last season at 35. Cunningham made his last Pro Bowl at 35 and played his last season at 38. Smith was never really a dual threat quarterback, but if you consider him one, he probably played his last season at 34 (though he didn't break his leg scrambling). Young was the best of them, but even he made his last Pro Bowl at 37 and played his last season at 38. Also, Young benefited from not being a starter until he was 30, which means his legs wore out at a later age.

Noam likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

Yet their style of play wasn't an issue. Smith was absolutely a dual threat QB. He was far more dangerous running early on in his career.

Accolades don't really matter here, but like my initial argument said, no true correlation between being a dual threat qb and injury. The biggest threat to a qb is the blind side hits.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think this is the point that hits the best against the injury theory with dual threat quarterbacks. The only one that looks like he's defying that to an extent is Russell Wilson and that's only because he's evolved his game.

Alex Smith is a bad example. He didn't start to run until later in his career. He topped 180 yards rushing for the first time at age 29. He's also had one of the strangest NFL careers so he's tough to fit into a lot of points.

Donovan McNabb, Vick both fizzled out. Cunningham only started in 41 games over a six year period from 91'-97'. His last Pro Bowl year was an anomaly so his true success was effectively done around 30.

Cam Newton will be a true test of your theory @101GangGreen101 as he is the most physically buff and built of the running quarterback generation. 6'5", 250+ and just a tank of a human being. And he's started to fizzle out at 30. I really disagree with you on Lamar Jackson as well as far as hits taken. He takes a lot of unnecessary hits. Not always big hits, but unnecessary.

We shall see.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

No it doesn’t change what you said, unfortunately for you. It just makes what you said completely embarrassing as it shows how poor your reading comprehension skills are.

20. 101GangGreen101

So coming out of college as an NFL prospect, Alex Smith wasn't a dual threat QB? Smith was very much ineffective as a passer earlier on, and tbh that offense had some major question marks, I think that skews the #s. I would easily say he was a better runner then passer early on. The guy threw 1 TD to 11 INTs his first year. They also ran a different offense in Kansas City, where they played to Alex's strengths so all those things play a role in his #s. The guy was very much healthy the majority of his career running and throwing the football.

Lamar is already evolving his game, JR year in college the guy was not a good passer, now he's probably average to above average down the field. I guess its easy to forget, but Lamar tore the Jets a new ass-hole throwing the football.

Vick fizzled out because he went to Jail and he didn't evolve his game until he went to Andy Reid BUT he had a resurgence, Cunningham was able to have some really good seasons, but was injury really the reason? Especially late in this career. But did their careers end because they were dual threat QBs? IDK, I think they just got old and regressed. They weren't masters of their craft. Its all about durability and if you are getting injured more being a dual threat QB in comparison to a pocket QB. Based on what I see you are just as likely to get hurt in the pocket then you are out there running. It's not about accolades. Cam was healthy and started for 8 straight years, thats more than a lot of other QBs that play in this league.

Lamar doesn't take a lot of big hits, the guy is super slippery, I think everyone takes big hits but he avoids them more often than not. Regardless, the guy has played EVERY game since he was in HS.

I am just waiting for someone to bring up RG3 next.