ESPN: Sam Darnold best young QB in the NFL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, May 19, 2020.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/jets-sam-darnold-best-young-quarterback-in-nfl

Jets' Sam Darnold is the best young quarterback in the NFL, per ESPN analyst

[​IMG]

Sam Darnold has certainly had his share of ups and downs since entering the NFL in 2018, but one NFL analyst made a bold statement about the New York Jets quarterback.

Dan Orlovsky, a football analyst for ESPN, made an appearance on the “MySportsUpdate" podcast, and he was asked if he would rather have Darnold or New York Giants quarterback Daniel Jones under center for the next 10 years.

Not only did Orlovsky choose Darnold, but he took it a step further by saying that he would take Darnold over “every young QB that’s come into the NFL the last three years.”

If you go back to the 2018 NFL Draft, that includes quarterbacks like Cleveland Browns’ Baker Mayfield, Buffalo Bills’ Josh Allen, reigning NFL MVP Lamar Jackson of the Baltimore Ravens, Arizona Cardinals’ Kyler Murray, and other signal-callers in the 2020 draft class like Cincinnati’s Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa of the Miami Dolphins, and Los Angeles Chargers’ rookie Justin Herbert.

That is certainly a bold claim by Orlovsky, especially since Jackson has been the most productive out of all the quarterbacks who entered the league since 2018, but Darnold has been dealt a terrible hand since taking over under center for the Jets. The team has yet to put a viable option at wide receiver for him, and they’ve pieced together a well-below average offensive line, failing to give Darnold any protection.

The Jets addressed some of their issues in the draft, by selecting former Louisville offensive lineman Mekhi Becton with their first-round pick, and they took former Baylor wideout Denzel Mims in the second round, who will step into a starting role right away for the Jets. Darnold should improve in 2020, especially with the AFC East up for grabs since Tom Brady is no longer the quarterback of the New England Patriots.

2. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Listen I dont say much but 7-9 and he had mono and we were on our 4th string QB(felt like) + Mosley

If he was 100% we have our hand knocking on the door. Tell me I am wrong. 3 AFC EAST teams? We win week 1 without mono. 8-8 look and remember the games and 1/2 a QB wins us games

BomberJet, jago, dawinner127 and 3 others like this.
  3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

He has the size that Mayfield, Murray, and Burrow lack.

He has the arm talent that Burrow lacks.

He has the accuracy that Allen lacks.

He doesn’t have the rushing threat that Allen, Murray, or Jackson have.

He’s also still younger than most of them.

I would take him over Mayfield and Allen for sure, and I think Murray as well. It would be a tough choice with Jackson.

Burrow you can’t even compare because we’ve gotten to see all of the others.

4. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Judging from the past 2 years I don't know if it's true, but he isn't talking about the past. He's talking future & potential when he's asked who he'd rather have. Sam is young & has a lot of untapped potential if he has an OL and someone to catch the ball. His biggest flaw is throwing under pressure, but judging from what he did last year with that makeshift OL & no running game, I believe he will improve drastically in year 3 with the new OL & A RUNNING GAME.. Joe D. Has Done a great job building around Sam. I can't wait to see Herndon & Griffin on the field at the same time. Sam led the NFL with a 141.0 QBR when throwing to TE's. I expect it to take a few games for the OL to fully gel, & Sam to get on the same page with his receivers. Then we will see if Gase is the answer for the future. No excuses. Give me Sam every day of the week.

5. Footballgod214

Ya picking Sam over Lamar seems a reach until you realize Sam (strong arm accurate pocket passer) could be around years longer than Lamar who's #1 calling card (running with the ball) is the very thing that can get him killed/injured on any play.

The question was "Which QB for the next decade?". 10 years from now Lamar and his legs could be a shadow of what you see now, while Sam is still playing great ball with 5 more good years to come.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Cool to see someone calling it out and he may very well be right. But just keep in mind that Orlovsky is one of those reporters that seems to say bold things to grab headlines. If he's right in the future, he's a genius. If he's wrong, no one will remember anyway. So it's sort of a win-win.

Kendrick Perkins is doing the same thing in the NBA. It's easier to rise up as an analyst that way.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I noticed Mahomes wasn't included in his list...

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Last 3 drafts. Mahomes doesn’t qualify

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Time scaled nicely to avoid including him lol

10. Footballgod214

I was thinking the same thing....but on the other hand if he really wanted to make headlines with a splashy pick (that no one would remember in 5 years) he could'a picked Josh Allen or Rosen....some dark horse candidate. Then looked like a genius. But he picking Sam. Kinda feels good.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The dual threat QB theory that they are more prone to injury isn't true and gets old after a while IMO. Especially when pocket passers get injured just as much. Lamar has played every game in HS, college and in the pros. Dude also avoids contact a lot more in comparison to a lot of the other QBs that scramble. He's like a freaking bar of soap when hes out there.

IMO the more likely outcome is when the quarterback is taken to the ground while unleashing a pass, like Nick Foles when he suffered a broken clavicle after being blasted while releasing a pass last season.

12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

More ESPN drivel. He's not even close to Lamar Jackson at this stage in his career. No one in their right mind would think that. It's about what you have done on the field up to this point, that's it. This dude Orlovsky is really enjoying his 15 minutes of fame. Scrub.

13. Footballgod214

You make a good point....a running QB can protect himself while being tackled, while a pocket passer seems to get blindsided more often.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  14. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I'm excited about the future and seeing pieces falling in place

Glad there was some good press for one of our guys

Having said that, there are so many variables in play. Will he be committed to continued growth; consistency; clutch factor; will he have that "it" factor where he always seems a step ahead of the opponent. So many of these key factors are hard to identify in a prospect (often because the guys are coming from stacked college teams or are so murky -- like continued inner drive AFTER you have signed the big contract)

All in all glad it was a positive piece rather than a hatchet job

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Listen..Mahomes and Lamar J clearly have the talent and produced immediate results given Superior coaching and surrounding cast

All I can say is good for Dan O ...and I wanna believe..I wanna believe...I wanna believe (sigh)

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I do not see the long term hype behind Lamar.

Yeah, he had an amazing season last year, but his throwing ability really concerns me and his long term health is a HUGE question mark in today's NFL.

My prediction is that he will fade away in years to come. I think defense's will have a better gameplan against him in the next couple of years and I think him having to rely on his arm will be his demise.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I agree. I would take Sam over every young QB including Lamar. I am a Jets fan and liked Sam before the Jets even drafted him though. Football is a team sport. You have to surround Sam with talent or it won't matter how good he is or how great his potential is. That is why the Bills are ranked ahead of the Jets right now. They surrounded Allen with better talent. The Ravens clearly already had better talent to surround Lamar but they have adjusted their roster and offense to make him better.

The Jets have improved the team around Darnold. Now Sam needs to deliver in 2020. Prove his supporters right, and then launch the Jets back to relevance in the NFL.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good observation. Key element that makes it extremely difficult to compare properly is the dreaded factor. "given Superior coaching and surrounding cast"
    Hard to go against either QB but if the roles and talent pool were reversed neither Mahomes nor Lamar IMO would have been significantly more effective for us. However, I would still give the edge to Mahomes, he is the second coming of Favre without the excessive interceptions. Lamar is more like Allen with a more accurate arm.

19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Eh, I don't view Orlovsky that way whatsoever. He is really, really good at breaking down QB play and seeing stuff that the normal fan can't. Like when you say he's one of those analysts who say crazy stuff to grab headlines I immediately think of Rex or Skip.

BudJet, FJF and Noam like this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I believe Sam can become the best QB out of the ones taken over the last three years, but he still needs to show it on the field. Until he does, Jackson has him beat.