I Have A Feeling I Would Have Loved Ken O'Brien

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, May 14, 2020.

1. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Throwing the ball away was INTENTIONAL GROUNDING prior to 1993.

One of the most overlooked rule changes that contributed to the rise of the modern passing game.

K'OB, matt robinson 17 and Biggs like this.
  2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Well they own 1/2 of the stadium right? Better then Shea or NYG stadium where there ownership was zippo:mad:

3. championjets69

It still is I think It is the way that U threw the ball away if ref deems it a penalty or not :mad:

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

20 1/2 sacks in 1981, before they were considered an official statistic, and when teams were running the ball most of the time. Today, that would probably be 30 sacks or more. I think he held the record for sacks until Reggie White broke it, but could be mistaken on that point.

Other DL had the benefit of playing just one position and mastering it. Klecko mastered 3 positions, and few others could have done that. That alone makes him special. He was equally great vs the pass and the run.

Not many players in NFL history have had 7 1/2 sacks at the NT position.

He made All Pro in '81 when he was injured and was using pain killers before every game following the injury and at halftime in each of those games, just to be able to play.

He is the ONLY player in NFL history to make the Pro Bowl at 3 different positions, and that was in an era where the fans weren't voting and it wasn't such a popularity contest. I believe the players and coaches elected players to the Pro Bowl in that era. EDIT: Yes, from Wikipedia: "Prior to 1995, only the coaches and the players made Pro Bowl selections." Making the Pro Bowl meant something back then when it was only the coaches and players voting. Local fans couldn't stuff the ballot box with votes for their hometown heroes, so it wasn't a popularity contest, but rather based on respect for the player's play.

John Hannah, Anthony Munoz, Joe Delamielleure, Howie Long, other HOF DL, and Peter King (who hates the Jets) all have said that Klecko was a great, dominant player and belongs in the HOF. Hannah said that Klecko and Howie Long were the 2 best players he ever played against. Howie Long modeled his play after Klecko.

Anthony Munoz: “I played against Joe Klecko several times,” Hall of Fame left tackle Anthony Muñoz said to New York Jets.com. “To me, in my humble opinion, he is one of the best and should be in. The Hall of Fame would be in a lot better standing with a guy like Joe in it.”Aug 3, 2019 and “In my 13 seasons, Joe is right there at the top of the defensive ends I had to block, up there with Fred Dean, Lee Roy Selmon and Bruce Smith.” Munoz went on to say, “Joe was the strongest guy I ever faced, He had perfect technique but he was such an intense, smart player...He was the leader, the guy who kept that unit together.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/wa...lass-is-jets-joe-kleckos-best-shot-at-justice

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-why-joe-klecko-deserves-a-call-from-the-hall

From the SI article linked above:

https://www.google.com/search?clien...n+joe+klecko&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

#284 NCJetsfan, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
  5. NCJetsfan

Excellent point, I had forgotten about that, but other QBs did it. He could have done it and just looked like he was trying to hit the WR and overthrew him.

6. championjets69

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Keith Millard and Dave Butz are on the 80's all decade team and aren't in the HOF. Randi White, Reggie White and Lee Roy Selmon were absolute beasts. Randi White played all over the DL and at LB. He was a 7 time all pro. The decade of the 80's were Klecko was a great player was full of great players. There are 7 players on the all 80's defense who aren't in the HOF.

#287 Biggs, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

@The Dark Knight

there is your answer, now it has been said I do remember in one of the other Kleko threads somebody saying it in there as well, it wasn't even that long ago either, memory like a sieve lol

9. K'OB

Oh, here comes the fun sponge, again.

10. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

93 he was charged with insurance fraud I believe. Still should be HoF. Great player for us. But at the time this was probably a big reason he didn't get in. That said I believe some of the other player around that time have been pushing for him to get in. Hopefully it happens.

K'OB likes this.
  11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Speaking of penalties, imagine ragdolling a quarterback today the way Klecko used to? He wouldn’t get flagged, he’d get arrested.

12. K'OB

How much would you pay to have seen Brady being that ragdoll? :D

13. NCJetsfan

If there truly are 7 players on the all 80's defense who aren't in the HOF, then that's further proof that the voting is screwed up. One of the biggest determining factors is if a player was dominant during his era and one of the top players at his position. Unless the voting for the all '80s defense is screwed up, those players belong in the HOF. Just because there were a lot of great defensive players during the '80s is no justification or rationale for leaving other great players from '80s out. In fact, it's a greater reason for including them. If they still stood out during such a great era with other great players at their positions, they belong in the HOF.

14. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

20 1/2 sacks amazing

15. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Comical nfl saying he only had 24 sacks for his career...Deacon Jones probably had 200 but nfl gave him 0

K'OB and The Dark Knight like this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree. That lacks logic. It should be the best players period. Doesn't matter what time. I get him not making it the first few years due to elite competition , but by 2019 he should have been in.

NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It's not proof that Joe Klecko who isn't on it is somehow being blackballed. It's at best anecdotal evidence that getting into the HOF is a very high bar.

FYI Gerry Philbin unofficially posted 19 sacks in 68's 14game season.

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Deacon Jones has always been the unofficial champion. Some bring up Coy Bacon. However in his time Offensive lineman weren't allowed to extend their arms. That rule change came in 1978. In 1978 DB's weren't allowed to stay engaged past 5 yards from the LOS. You take away Jones famous head slap, you allow OL men to extend their arms and WR to separate after 5 yards and it changes the DL mans ability to sack the QB.

You really have to compare guys to their era. The evolution of the game and the rules makes comparing numbers, official or otherwise very difficult.

19. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm....I don’t remember the insurance fraud. I do seem to remember an incident involving a vehicle he was driving hitting a pedestrian who was standing in the middle of a highway - unintentional of course - I don’t think he was charged with anything. This was about 15 maybe even 20 years ago ....

Klecko belongs in the HOF period.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

[​IMG]