Larry Warford Anyone?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, May 8, 2020.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Zach, JetsNation06, LF911SC and 5 others like this.
  2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

3 straight pro bowls 28 years old....sign him & dump Winters

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Sounds like the Texans are getting him but yea, joe should throw his name in the ring

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I'm confused what Joe Douglas likes about Winters to have him still on the roster, but maybe since he is a former offensive lineman, he can see things that I don't see.

5. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Probably his crappy tattoos

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Locker room voice matters. I've been the harshest critic of Winters how entire career. But he's honestly turned out to be an OK guard. He might have the ear of the locker room and he's honestly not THAT expensive. Warford would likely be a good add but there's also likely a reason he got released.

7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

You have to wonder why NO would cut him at only 28 yo?

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  8. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Guys are brutal with Winters. Dudes shoulder was completely shredded last year and played most of the year in complete pain. He holds a lot of respect in the lockeroom, if not here on this site.

9. boozer32

Well, he needs to catch up. I see a meathead who is a penalty waiting to happen. The moron got a personal foul after the play was blown dead by headbutting a defensive lineman.

10. boozer32

The previous two years was he injured then? because he still killed off drives with bad penalties. Not like he was ever blowing big holes or great in pass protection. He's not even top 30 in the league and Maccagnan gave him a 32 million dollar contract.

11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Best run blocking Guard on the team.
    Plays tough and nasty, team first guy with heart and motor.
    Only 28 yrs old.

Might be a tad overpaid mainly due to recent injuries. But if he’s healthy he’s worth that moderate price tag and we are in no position to discard good lineman.

Warford I’ve also always liked as well, and was very interested in drafting back when.
    Depends on price tag.
    Playing in front of Brees has def made life easier for him.

boozer32 and FJF like this.
  12. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

That's fine with me, but I rather Warford.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

They have till June 1st to cut him. I guess they figure what's the rush. I guarantee he will be cut by then.

The Dark Knight and chandler like this.
  14. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think he only played in 9 games then went on IR.

15. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

What’s wrong with you people? Winters is in the last year of his overpaid Maccagnan contract. He’s not getting resigned after the season - at least he shouldn’t be. So he’s not long term for the team anyway. He was hurt often. Played through pain? Fine, but at what cost to our efficiency?? If anything, Winters should be eternally grateful to NYJ.

This division is actually wide open to any of the 4 teams to win it. We’ve GOT to get to the playoffs!
    Sign Warford! And I say give him a 3yr deal! And Douglas SHOULD do it for the sake of the fanbase to always IMPROVE the state of the roster whenever possible.

Holy shit, — some of you have gotten so used to losing that you don’t fucking seem to mind it anymore.

nycarl, boozer32, NCJetsfan and 4 others like this.
  16. UK jet

UK jet Member

Don't think it's anything to do with the player himself
    They have Peat, McCoy and now 1st round draft pick Ruiz to play interior OL
    Something or someone had to give
    Warford will be snapped up before the end of the weekend I think and we need to be at the front of the queue

Leicester Jet, boozer32 and joe like this.
  17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Warford would be an Alan Faneca like godsend, except he’s still in his prime.

#17 Attackett, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
    boozer32, chandler and FJF like this.
  18. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

What do we think he will command annually?

19. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

This. I usually give players the benefit of the doubt until proven wrong, but I'm thoroughly disgusted with Winters. For one thing, the guy is a walking mash unit, and he's apparently unable to stay healthy. Consider his injury history:

2011 (h.s. sophomore year): "Winters actually injured his left shoulder during a match his sophomore year, and it became a major problem after popping out of place in the third game of the 2011 season. He played through the pain, however, showing another attribute typically possessed by successful wrestlers -- toughness" (NFL.com Combine note)

2013 (Combine): "Winters suffered a pectoral strain while doing the bench press at the combine, and registered nine reps before stopping."

2013 (October): "Ducasse was able to beat out Winters for the job at training camp because the third-round rookie was battling an ankle injury."

2014 (October): Tore ACL out for season

2016 (October): Suffers concussion from head-butting Michael Bennett

2016 (December): Tore rotator cuff, requiring surgery

2017 (September): Reported as groin injury ("He was laying on his stomach on the sidelines")

2018 (June description of 2017 injury): "Jets RG Brian Winters (abdomen) is fully recovered from December surgery.
    Winters tore his abdomen and abductor muscles in Week 2 of last year, but played through it for 13 games."

2018 (August update): "Jets RG Brian Winters (abdomen) isn't expected to play this preseason but anticipates being ready for Week 1"

2019 (August): "Jets RG Brian Winters injured his shoulder in Thursday's preseason opener against the Giants."

2019) (November): "Winters reportedly dislocated his shoulder for the second time this year. It's a re-aggravation of the same ailment that sidelined him following the team's preseason opener."

In Jim Brown's phrase, Winters is a "walking mess of scars" with a shoulder problem that will not go away. I looked at some Warford tape from last year and there was just no comparison to Winters' tape. True, Winters continues to show his ability to pull and make good contact on the second level, but his quickness, in-line blocking, and anchor strength are nowhere near Warford's at this point. Warford is clearly a guard with very strong pass-blocking and in-line run blocking skills. Yes, he's perhaps not ideal for zone-blocking schemes, but I have no doubt that he will perform better and more reliably than Winters in any scheme, including ours.

20. BonScott

BonScott Active Member

Was it Winters who was yelling at Sam when they kept muffing the snap?

Imagesrdecieving and MoWilkBeast like this.