Jets place WR’s Enunwa and Bellamy on PUP list

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, May 5, 2020.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

My thing is that is counting on players who haven't played a significant amount in the nfl to achieve those goals. Mims may work out, I wasn't high on him but he was a good pick in the 2nd. He may need some time to develop. Perriman might be able to play, but so far he has had 5 good games. He could go back to what he was before. Doctson I have even less faith in. Smith and everyone else may get beat out by the udfas, which will be time to develop. Herndon (if healthy) could return to form, which would boost the offense some. But outside of him and Crowder and maybe Griffin there is nothing scary about the offense. Add to that our O Line need to develop and get chemistry with no oats, minicamp, and maybe a shortened camp/preseason. Sam will not have chemistry with his receivers, his receivers won't have as much offseason to learn the system. I hope but that coupled with the fact Gase cannot coach make me worry. We have a lot stack against us.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

To answer the bold part of your post, I don't believe anyone here is ok with a subpar cast of WR's. It comes down to which one believes is more likely. A good OL making average WR's look better or good WR's making an average OL look better. In an ideal world, the Jets would have both, but because of decisions made over the last few years, both have been below average units. Joe made it clear where his priority was. Let's see what he does in next year's draft before concluding that he doesn't value playmakers on offense. And I say this as someone who wants the team to have a group of skill position players who opposing defenses fear as badly, or almost as badly as you do.

K'OB and FJF like this.
  3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Though this seemed inevitable, it's very unfortunate news and I feel for him. Lately I've gotten used to him no longer being in the plans, but a couple years ago was really looking forward to seeing him continue to be a bigger part of the offense and had such high hopes for him.

I think this solidifies plans to bring in a vet WR, even if it's just Demaryius Thomas.

4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Hey, maybe it won’t work out. I think what a lot of people forget is that all it takes for Perriman to make an impact for a year is 6 deep bomb TD’s in 16 games, of about 40-50 yards each. Aside from those 6 catches, if he can manage 4 catches per game for about 35 yards, that is an 800 yard season. Based on what I saw him do at the end of last year, that’s a pretty realistic expectation.

J-Raw24 and FJF like this.
  5. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

I'll agree that Mims hasn't played a snap so we can't conclude anything. I don't care about where these guys got drafted...since we didn't draft them. Bottom line...Perriman and Doctson have averaged ~500 yards per season in the last 2 seasons, and Robby has averaged 760 yards. The difference being Robby was the #1 target, and the other 2 never were. Robby had speed, but never fought for the ball, and also held it like a loaf of bread. Sure it's fun seeing his 60 yard TDs, but he wasn't a #1 WR and I don't see our WRs being worse this year. No reason for the "asinine" comment, as it's a statement based on previous years. I would rather have 2 good receivers + a high potential rookie than 1 very good receiver with inflated stats on a team that allowed him to be the main target.

6. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

7. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Fringe? The guy is young, and even though he is coming off injury, he has had two (out of his first 3 years) 500 yard seasons prior....nothing to shake your head at. This was about WRs improving this year, not a long term plan.

Demaryius Thomas? How many times did that guy show he mailed it in? There were at least 5-10 occassions when I was yelling at the TV because he stopped running his route or let the ball go through his hands.

I'm not saying we have a great WR corps, but I believe it's improved since last year.

K'OB likes this.
  8. J-Raw24

I don speak for Kurt, but my gripe isn't against the O Line additions. Did we need another safety? Even if Maye leaves after the year there are always 5+ free agent safeties available. Look at the top available players list right now. There are like 8 in the top 50. No pays safeties big money unless they are game changers. Maye is not a game changer. Reshad Jones, Eric Reed, Tony Jefferson. I mean that was a wasted pick. Zuniga could have been a 4th or even 5th rounder. If he doesn't pan out that was a wasted pick. Either could have been receiver help. Our biggest weaknesses are edge and receiver. I wanted Becton. I wasn't high on Mims in the 1st but this it was a good 2nd rounder. Our 3rds I don't care for. Morgan I like. Clarke, Hall, and Mann were all solid picks.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

70% of the contract guaranteed. A horrendous deal for us....he did nothing for it.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Poor Q, I wonder if there is some sort of injury settlement that can be done so he gets his money and doesn't effect the cap with that figure.

11. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

they both just suck on our cap. Could have put that money towards some needs if not for crappy contracts.

12. J-Raw24

Just so you know Doctson has been in the league 4 seasons. 2 were over 500 yards. His rookie season was 66 yards. Last year was 0 yards. Chances are he doesn't get near 500.
    Perriman has a similar career. Only broke 500 one time. Last year. Year before that 340... year before that 77. His rookie year 499, close enough. But again questionable if he gets 500.

Both have 4 years. 2 at 499+. Both could utterly fail in big roles very easily. Neither can be relied on to lift this team. Both are on prove it deals for a reason.

JetsNation06 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  13. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

at least he made it through the draft. I'm sure JD will sign another vet to sure up the corp.

14. I get it & yes Douglas deserves a chance at a second draft to make it right BUT..

We couldnt address everything in 1 yr.But why it it always offense that gets kicked into the “next yr” category? Safety could’ve waited.Back up QB couldve waited..bryce Hall/Quincy wilson seems like overkill.

I thought this past draft was about building an O around Sam?

So here we are in yr 3 & Sam still has diddly poo at WR. Will the guys we miraculously draft at WR next yr even have enough time to develop before Sam’s contract is up?

Scared to death that weve already failed at building around Sam w picks like Sheppard,Fatukasi,Davis & Morgan.Will we even know what we have inSam by then if the WRs are still awful? Is he gonna wanna resign w a team that refuses to build a surrounding cast w any sense of conviction?

WarriorRB28 and J-Raw24 like this.
  15. J-Raw24

I hope so. I hope Perriman and Mims both work. But I'm not ready to call it better than last year yet. They have potential. That said Enunwa was a big blow because when healthy he was decent. We knew that. Perriman and Mims are unknown. But again lets both hope it works.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Will this be Perimans first real season as a WR2 though? Will he be a like for like replacement for Robby and only see the bomb when Gase remembers he can do that sort of thing? Does he have more of a route tree than Robby and see more Gase designed plays?

Crowder will be busy taking his usual 7-15 yard passes and plenty of them.
    Herndon if he performs like his rookie season will be a Gronklite player for us.
    Griffen excelled and showed excellent chemistry with Sam from the off, same again, two TE sets?
    Better OL more chance for Bell to take more catches and take them further?
    Mimm's, talented WR with promise
    Doctson, again he could be anything, his star is yet to shine, it may never though, we will soon see next season.
    Two UDFA's also have a chance to make the squad, one a red zone monster.

It is obvious we don't really have a WR1 and I know we said this the season before last, this will make it harder for other teams to slap their top CB on somebody, isn't this what Gase likes all the miss matches his little book of dreams will create for us?

17. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I feel terrible for Q, he was a real gamer, and a difference maker when healthy, but the extension Mac gave him in 2018, after he'd already suffered the first serious neck injury, was one of the worst contracts the organization has ever signed.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Worst extension I've seen. Mccagnan really sucked. It is hard to be that bad as GM

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Kurt we are 5 months away from the season - if there even is a season. Receivers can, and will be, exchanged around the league during that 5 months. Douglas could make a trade tonight, tomorrow, or September 1st

20. J-Raw24

When have Gase's "little book of dreams" worked without Manning? Gase isn't part of this as I have 0 faith in him.
    Herndon could be great. Or he could take time to get back to what he was 2 years ago. (Bell Anyone?) Griffen has been in the league a while and had his best season last year. He may or may not get better or worse. Gase has never ran a 2 TE set. He may change that. But again 0 faith.

Crowder I will agree on. He is our best offensive weapon right now. Much like Landry was in Miami.

Perriman again has only broke 500 yard one time. And all of that came in 5 games. Can he do it for a whole year? Can he replicate it at all? We don't know. Will he be better with Gase than with a PROVEN HC/Offensive guy like Arians? We don't know.

Doctson I agree with. He could be decent. But if his 4 year career is any indication it's a steep hill.
    The UDFAs I have a but more hope for, but again unproven.

And again where did we get better? There is no proof we got better. No proof we got worse. But odds are if we take another receiver instead of a safety we don't need or an edge that was 2 rounds to early, we get better. The more you try to change the weaknesses the better chance you do. I like the backup qb pick, the o line additions, hall was a great value, punter was needed. But the safety, edge gamble, the 6th for another cb all could have been used to help Darnold.