It’s all on you Adam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, May 4, 2020.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I present an article and a stat that blew my mind. First off the article:

https://es.pn/2zWCcc5

Key notes here
    - Bell saw a loaded box 36.3% of the time! 7th highest among 29 RB’s with over 150 carries. Compare to his last season with the Steelers, it was 24%! The fact that a poor offensive line and Bell had to deal with loaded boxes that much just was a disaster. There was no possible way for Bell to succeed. Not to mention, the WR corps was hit with injuries and a lack of weapons.

- Gase wants to rotate the backs more. I wanted to see a bit more of Ty and Powell at times last year but it was tough to do so. Between trying to get Bell going and the lack of explosiveness from the offense, there really was no way to get the backups those touches. Towards the end, Powell had some decent runs but they were so few and far between.

And now a tweet that will blow your mind.

Woof.

There’s still a bit unknown as to what Perriman and Mims can be, with Perriman still doesn’t have the production over a season, just an explosion over a few games that he’s primed for a breakout. With Mims, the potential is there, it’s a matter of can the Jets pull it out of him sooner than later.

I do like that Perriman is a better route runner and can be used a bit more then Robby was. I do like Mims with his 6’3” frame on the outside being able to keep his side honest. I do feel Herndon can be a great option but all of these are pure upside options with no unknown.

The OL has been given a makeover, the WR corps has been given solid additions over last years grouping. Sam should continue to ascend to be a better QB then his previous year. It’s really on Adam to devise an offense to keep this offense flowing. It’s really on Adam to be MUCH better then the first 15 plays (which he was great at last year). The tools have been handed down by Joe. Time for Adam to put it together...I really hope to see a dynamic offense but moreso I hope the Jets can add another name to that 1000 yard WR list, boy that’s tragic!

NYJetsO12, NCJetsfan and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I'm not sure we'll get anyone breaking 1k yards receiving, even with additional OL help. I'm expecting a WRBC with Crowder doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

Marshall gained as many yards in 2015 as Perriman has in his entire NFL career and it would be unfair on Mims to expect anything more than around 500-600 yards for his rookie season. It also highlights why it wasn't worth paying Anderson like a WR1.

MoWilkBeast and Mogriffjr like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Well if there's one thing Adam Gase is REALLY good at, it's adjusting his system to the skillsets of the players....

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

All of this is proof that Gase failed at the one thing he was supposed to be good at: creativity on offense. Yes, there were injuries, and yes the roster was less than mediocre, but still why did we not see more creativity and attempts to get something to work? Bell carried the ball 5 times more than the next RB! And it's not like he was averaging 5 yards a pop, he was struggling to get 3 yards a carry, the lowest in team history for a feature RB. So why not go to multiple RB sets, using them as runners and as receivers? And making this failure all the worse is that Gase was focused ONLY on the offense - he completely delegated everything else...remember his comment about GW being "the HC on defense"? Surely with only the offense to worry about he could've figured out something better than he did.

For now we're stuck with the "Offensive Genius", but I sure hope that he either has a miraculous awakening, or that Douglas has a short leash on him and fires him if he performs to the level of his record.

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Ok so the complaint was that he was using Bell inaccurately and now the detractors as yourself are saying he used him TOO much because he wasn't effective enough?

He used Bell the right amount. He split him out a little bit less than he should've. There was no egregious misuse of the player as you and BS claim. He was high in his usage rates and struggled.

I don't know why, behind that offensive line, you think that two running backs and one less blocker on the field would've made the running game and offensive production better. It wasn't a lack of receivers. It was a lack of time and holes. Adding another receiver to the patterns just creates less time for the quarterback.

But I know there's no convincing you two. We'll see in September. It's a put up or shut up year for him.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Conjecture and opinion isn't proof. Carry on...

7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

One way to help Bell or any jets RB is line up TE/FB Westco next to Becton on the left side and run it right behind those two. That's what Namath did in Super Bowl III--ran Snell to the left side all game and the Colts could not stop it. Yes, I know other teams would figure it out and adjust, but I say use them big bodies (LOL!).

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Snell ran behind Winston Hill who blew up the Colts DL and got to the second level all day long. There's a reason he finally got into the HOF. Somebody looked at the tape of SB 3 and saw Hill completely dominate the game.

NYJetsO12 and Dierking like this.
  9. Doesnt matter how good your RB & OL are if youre constantly seeing loaded boxes Bc defenses dont respect the Boundary :)

10. ColoradoContrails

Where is the inconsistency in saying he misused Bell and pointing out that he used him almost to the exclusion of the other backs? Maybe he "used the Bell the right amount - debatable - but he sure didn't use him correctly, nor any of the other personnel he had.

And why "two RBs and one less blocker" might have worked is it provided more options, and therefore more uncertainty for the defense. I dunno, I sort of thought confusing the defense was part of playcalling and personnel packages, but hey, what do I know, Gase is the "genius".

As for "no convincing", perhaps you ought to look in the mirror.

NYJetsO12 and Ralebird like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

And while having better receivers would've helped on that score, the Jets had receivers that could've exploited that ares, but somehow that wasn't part of Gase's playbook.:rolleyes:

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

How many teams run these whacky multiple runningback formations with any sort of consistency? One? Two? The Saints and the Ravens (one with Lamar Jackson so that doesn't really count).

Two runningbacks means you're likely pulling an in line tightend off the field. If you're leaving him in the field then I hope it's only first down because rarely do NFL offenses run with two wide, one (slow) tightend and two backs. Don't forget that having time to throw was an issue. Other than a flare route or a quick out, you're not opening a lot up with the second back.

I just don't quite understand. How would you have liked Bell used? I believe his percentage of being split out was down from like 5% from the Steelers. He still caught a ton of balls while defenses keyed on him because we had junior varsity receivers all over the place and no real protection to use the only threat (Anderson) we had.

MoWilkBeast and Mogriffjr like this.
  13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Colts DE Ordell Bracey is from my home state, and he was interviewed a few years ago about Super Bowl III. He was adamant that Matt Snell should have been the MVP of the game, not Namath. Not saying I agree or disagree with him, just thought it was interesting.

14. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Tuna used to call it 3 yards and a cloud of dust, with Jumbo ELliot

Not advocating for that or criticizing it. but just reiterating the obvious: it's a team game

You can have a good running game open up a passing game, or vice versa.

But in either case you need an OL that can either protect, or open holes, and hopefully do both.

Some critics keep saying Gase was only good with Peyton. I haven't checked deeply enough but I would venture to guess that when he won with Peyton they had a very effective OL and that it may be just as legitimate to say he only won with a good OL (which is probably true of any good coach)

Fingers crossed for continued improvement!!

15. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I'll add, why would a second back unload the box instead invite more loading?

He didn't have time to throw and for a good stretch of the season we were simply hoping the OL wouldn't get Sam seriously injured.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing Sam have a healthy complement of TEs and some WRs who can hurt you if you don't respect them. Bell and the new RB can each catch out of the backfielf to boot

Mogriffjr and Biggs like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

Look, I'm not the HC, Gase is, and more, he's supposed to be an offensive genius, so I'm not going to try and answer your question. I think it's obvious that Gase stuck with a script he is comfortable with, regardless of how it fit with the players he actually had. And note we're only talking about Bell being misused here, there were other major mistakes Gase made that have little or nothing to do with injuries. He was the one who decided who should be the backup Qbs. He was the one who decided not to play his scheduled OL even one snap together in P.S. He was the one - or should have been - to decide what blocking scheme(s) to use.

I know you know football - more than I do - so I know you have to have seen that Gase mishandled the roster and the hands that were dealt him. I understand your reluctance to replace him and have to start all over again with someone else, and for the time being he's not going anywhere, but surely you can't support a claim that he's a good HC.

17. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

AS far as I am concerned, The team as presently constituted is better then last year period. Is it a PO team, I do not know if we have sufficient talent but I do know we should be a better performing team. That is the responsibility of the HC.

To me that means being: more competitive, better execution throughout the game not just the 1st drive, less penalties (I guess better execution would alleviate penalties), being more physical, better PC and adjustments through out the game, being prepared for each opponent to exploit their weakness as a team and finally and this is the key... SAM gets materially better, i.r., more consistency, faster reads through progressions and better at reading D and for hopefully take off occasionally to put the D on hit heels.

18. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

As crappy as Gase can be, I’ll take his offense over Schottenheimer’s every time

But I would kill to have Charlie Weis back

Darnold has the goods if he isn’t ruined

SOJAZ likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

lmao we really saying Bell couldn't get any room to move because of the receivers and not the offensive line!?

Clearly JD disagress w/ that assessment.

themorey likes this.
  20. It was actually the OL AND the receivers.

and if JD doesnt agree he’ll be fired in 3 yrs.1 yr longer than he should be bc the Johnsons are who they are.