Why Didn't Douglas Take Another WR in the Draft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 27, 2020.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Plus he was lazy. Made his BPA pick day one and went home and slept. No trades just waited for the next day to make some more bad picks. Can't believe he was the guy that blew Charlie Casserly and Ron Wolf away during the interviewing process.

2. Taking a look at Curtis Samuel would be wise.He fits exactly what is still needed in the WR corps.They need one more guy who can play the z or slot who can separate & make big plays,Hes also from Brooklyn.

Hes only 23 so adding him would be like another draft pick.He needs a new deal so you move on from Winters.

Suddenly the Skill group falls into place & is equipped to win a variety of match ups.Alot of young pieces that can grow w Sam & become something great in a year or 2.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He had history with Casserly, who helped him through a drinking problem earlier in his career when both were with the Texans.

That made Casserly uniquely unqualified to promote him for the Jets job but friends are friends.

4. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Heres what's wrong with this line of thinking.
    You have no idea that Morgan would have been available later in the draft. If you like a QB and think hes getting picked, you take him.

You dont draft a developmental QB at 128 to see meaningful playing time. We know that. Its about building a team, not the 2020 season

I get we want WRs, but the idea that we would have found ones worth a damn, that "ever playing any meaningful game snaps the season" is slim and nil.

But really, you can do this with every draft evaluation, lets see if JD knows what hes doing and see what the players he selected do instead of crying about the players we wanted off f our laptops and youtube videos

5. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

And you know Morgan would have been available later in the draft how exactly?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’ve never gotten the sense that Carolina actually wants to trade him. Weren’t the original reports that teams were calling them asking about Samuel? He was a second rounder just two years ago and is already a solid pro, something tells me it would take at least a second or third to get him if he’s even available. I’d definitely make the call though. As much as I prefer to go after size at this point, he’d be a real nice addition.

7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It's irrelevant if he was going to be available or not because he will never play any meaningful game action for the Jets. If he does then the season's fucked anyhow. Like I said missed opportunity to add more quality skill position talent.

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If Darnold goes down and Morgan wasn't selected and then Fales pops up on the field again, how will this help quality skill position or to name it WR.

By that point, it would be also pointless.

Next season is likely already fucked anyway, take the development QB and develop him into a good back up or a future draft pick and look to next seasons draft to fill more needs that this squad will no doubt still have.

One less WR from the 4th round is unlikely to make or break 2020/1 and it is certainly not worth getting all pissed about it either tbh :D

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

same logic says Pats shouldn't have drafted Brady because they already had #1 pick Drew Bledsoe (Brady was carried as a #4 [!!] on the roster)

So I'll respectfully disagree. I think good teams try and create a pipeline on QBs. Maybe not every year ala Ron Wolf but you have to keep it stocked

10. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Ok- so even if Mims is higher then Ruggs The jets have the 2nd worst nfl set of skill players. Whoo hoo

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Remember that the Pats drafted Brady to be a cheater. He was one of the primary guys in the sign-relay system in 2000 and only jumped to #2 on the depth chart in 2001 - when Belichik began to get an inkling that he had something special there. Even then he wouldn't have played without the Bledsoe injury. Belichik and Bledsoe were tied at the hip by the massive record-setting contract extension they agreed to in March 2001. 10 years and $103M was the highest QB contract in the NFL when it was signed.

We really did create the dynasty when we broke Bledsoe's ribs in the second game of the 2001 season - an object lesson in why rooting for the other team's guys to get hurt is asking for a curse to be laid on you and yours for the next generation.

12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I read that Douglas draft was not neccesarily for this year but next year and beyond. The safety pick was made to either replace Adams or Maye. The QB obviously wasn't for this year but you never know. But they still needed a development guy. Now Becton and Mims are play now pieces.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

You are acting like the choices are Morgan or Fales...just sign a competent back up like every other team has done for the past 50 years.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah at first I was a bit mad that we took only one receiver but when you think about it mediocre receivers are a dime a dozen. In the 4th round and later it was trying to hit a home run on a random player. I disagree that there were starters to be had “well into the 4th round” but time will tell. I suppose it’s much better to hit on a Qb to be good backup or even a starter which would put us in a great position. Meanwhile we still have some younger players like Vyncint Smith, Berrios, and Doctson all under 25 years old and probably have the same chances of being successful as a late round draft pick.

boozer32, J-Raw24, K'OB and 1 other person like this.
  15. DefenseWinsChampionships

Joe Douglas had every right to draft QB later rounds. Those trash backups last year were Maccagnan's trash.

Anyone who question's drafting Sam's backup is crazy did you not see the backup trash @ QB we fielded last year during mono? They were trash lol

boozer32 likes this.
  16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Those QB's were trash x4000 you crazy mofo's

17. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Anyone who questions why they didn't just sign a competent veteran back up instead of drafting one in the 4th is crazy .....got it...I mean it's not like Winston was just signed for a million bucks...you can get Dalton for a million bucks....since when is drafting a backup the only way to get one?

18. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Dalton just released by the Bungles. Offer before the Pats swoop in?

19. DefenseWinsChampionships

Who cares?

He's not Tom Brady and never will be ala 9 years, 0 SBs and an 0-4 career playoff record lol Bill will never sniff a SB without Brady (just like he's never sniffed one without Brady).

20. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Who cares? This is the Cheats were talking about. I want to see JD jock block Belicheat at every opportunity. Plus we need an experienced backup QB.

K'OB likes this.