What just happened?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

What happened? Why am I not crazy mad after a draft? Why do I have man crush for a guy named Joe as I am not gay?

What the heck was this? It is Ramadan and I can’t drink and I didn’t drink but then why am I joyfully drunk?

This draft was something else fellas. Trading down but still getting Mims. Turning a 2nd round swap into a 3rd and 2 4ths this year and a 6th next year. Picking a stud punter at 6th round.

Wow. Just wow. Corona be damned. Start the season already....

nycarl, macbk, Br4d and 12 others like this.
  2. UK jet

UK jet Member

I think at least 6 of the new additions could play some serious minutes next season
    The future looks bright

3. DefenseWinsChampionships

Be careful Brook!

Fans such as TheWaterBoy are going to laugh at, mock you and degrade you all for loving our first offensive driven draft built around a Franchise QB for the first time in forever.

As you're not allowed the feel excited, believe that we just majorly upgraded an offense that was already supported by a self made and playoff ready defense already in place.

And God forsaken you know that we're now the most talented and deepest team within the AFC East within a Bradyless Division and now featuring 1.) Best Franchise QB of the division and 2.) Best SEC led Defense within the AFC East you'll become C.) Attacked with profanity and personal attacks.

That's all I've gotta say.
    Great thread @Brook! !
    Just be careful.

4. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

It's honestly the most optimistic I've ever seen this place after a draft.

dmw likes this.
  5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

None of us here are experts, but the picks make sense! In past years the Jets draft often made no sense and there was clearly no plan. Douglas is a man with a plan.

#5 dmw, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Regardless of how this draft class pans out, Joe did what he said he would do. Period.

chandler, themorey and egelband like this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I saw two different articles that rated the draft for each team. The first gave the Jets a B; the second was an A+.

Brook! and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

The future is bright where are my SHADES!

Brook! and MoWilkBeast like this.
  9. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Agreed, Brook. Seems like JD made a concerted effort to address the long-standing talent deficit. If he’s gambled correctly, he’ll have brought the Jets a long ways from the NFL’s cellar. Miles to go, but JD’s driven the bus some distance.

Brook! and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I am glad that you are happy, but if there is one thing I have learned from my beloved Jets after all these years, it is that I can never let myself get too high when things go well, or too low when things go bad.

Flatten the curve, as they say nowadays.

Enjoy and be well!!

Brook! and K'OB like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

He gave Gase and Williams exactly what they needed to construct the Scheme they want to put in place come next Season

There will be more trades and eliminations after/during TC but going forward there will be no more apologies and excuses for Gase that he has no OL weapons etc. I am not at all worried about our other HC Williams since he has already done a great job reworking the D and now can only get better

#11 NYJetsO12, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    dmw likes this.
  12. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Bill Parcells once said the NFL draft is a crapshoot, Maybe the Jets rolled a 7 this time!

Nobody can say the Jets did not address the Offensive line which was totally necessary. Mims could be a steal and the guy can definitely be a great end zone target. He obviously has great physical skills. His route running needs a lot of improvement. For a guy, this fast he should get more separation. He will not be able to muscle people in the NFL as he has in college, hence he needs to work on his route running.

This may be the Jets year!

chandler and Brook! like this.
  13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Our draft could have gone better but this is the first time in years that I feel pretty good about our draft.

Brook! likes this.
  14. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

There were good picks but also some questionable ones I thought. Instead of Davis with the 3rd pick I would have liked to see another OL pick or WR. Still a good draft overall but with this team always temper your expectations.

Brook! likes this.
  15. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I just laugh at you because you are a joke. If you have something to say to me then don't be a pussy and add the @ before my name. I know you know how to do it since you did with Brook.

The reason I mocked you in the other thread was because you claimed the 4th round was the round which will make us a playoff team. You made that proclamation based on the number of picks we had in the round, "The Round we become true Playoff Contenders - 4th (3)". You did nothing to show how those 3 picks make us a "true playoff contender", you just started listing off all the other players not picked in this 4th round or ones that have been on the team already. You posted nothing to show how the 4th round picks make the Jets "true playoff contenders", you are merely a cheerleader continually posting novel length rah rah posts. The Jets were 2-4 against AFC east teams last season but now we are "the most talented and deepest" in the east? They were the 3rd best defense in the division last year and we haven't seen any of the draft picks play in the NFL yet so how exactly are they "the most talented and deepest"?

jonnyd likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The draft didn’t go the way I wanted it to on multiple levels but it still went well and I feel pretty good about it. I would have rather gone Lamb and best tackle available at 48 or even 59 considering who was available. WR1 and OT7 is better than OT3 and WR13. But I also don’t think Mims is actually WR13. The value there was so tremendous there it’s hard to be upset. We got value everywhere it seems... analysts love the Davis pick where we took him and Hall was a steal in the 5th.

The one thing I can’t reason with is the Morgan pick. Just a total head scratcher. There were a lot of big bodied WRs there which we badly need. Sam’s biggest target right now is Mims... a 6’3” rookie. Instead we opt for a fairly unknown QB from a small school in the fourth round? We needed a backup QB but we needed a veteran. Morgan could easily step in and be worse than Fales which to me defeats the purpose of finding a new backup QB. We could have easily waited til the fifth to find our guy and the guy we took probably would have still been there.

But overall I feel really good. Zuniga looks like he can be a player, Perine is a great fit in this offense next to Bell, Clark is a potential longterm solution at G and we got ourselves a punter!

Brook! likes this.
  17. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I too liking the direction JD is taking us. We ‘re appear to be building the foundation. While I too would have liked or preferred another selection with couple of picks, but I trust JD. Yes you’re thinking at first, what’s the hell? But then few minutes later, “Oh I see, I get it” this type of moment.

DWC, appreciate your enthusiasm, knowledge and in-depth of players and their history but Best team in division? One thing to be optimistic and have no fear with other team but let’s be real here, Bills didn’t have a fluke season and yet they drafted and FA’ed very well this season. They just got better on paper. But we heading the right direction.

Brook! likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We’re still not even the third best or deepest team in the division. The Dolphins have had an A+ offseason. If Tua can play right off the bat they are going to challenge for a wildcard spot. But most likely that’s not going to happen and it’ll take a year. They’ve added SO much talent it’s not even funny. I hate it.

We’ve seemingly added the least outside of the OL and we needed talent everywhere but safety. Mosley and Williamson playing will be a massive automatic upgrade so that’s good but the WR situation is still bleak. We might win some games 17-16. Yet with that being said I still feel good about the direction of the team.

TwoHeadedMonster and Cman68 like this.
  19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think it is too early to grade the draft especially as there are a lot of high ceiling low floor players. But, what I found impressive was how Douglas moved around the draft. There are three parts to the draft scouting good players, getting good value for each pick and using trade backs to get extra picks but still get the player you want. The Jets have have always been horrible at the latter two. I have not seen any Jets GM try to extract extra picks with trade backs while maximizing value while moving around the draft like the Jets did this weekend. I loved that part. One of the reasons might have been the Johnson's finally investing into the player personnel department giving Douglas money for high level lieutenants in Hogan, Savage and Alexander. I read a good article 2 years ago about the Jets scouts where it said the jets scouts were well respected but they operated on a shoe string budget with less scouts and resources of other teams. That article said Mac convinced Johnson to start investing more money into PP Department but I imagine Douglas when hired demanded a lot more to take the job. The way we moved around the draft really gives me hope for the future and that we might finally have a smart FO not to mention a FQB. Now all we need is a competent head coach and we are set.

NYJetsO12 and Cman68 like this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think the 22 guys on the field in the 1st qtr. will look drastically different from last year's starters. Our bench is deeper as well. I hope fans don't expect too much from the 2020 Jets as they still need time to learn how to play with each other as a unit. We know GW will bring the pressure and he'll have a full house to work with. We did add several Wr's if you include Perriman so Sam does have new weapons to work with and a 2nd season in Gase's system. Factor in a OLine and yeah, we might duplicate our 7 wins taking into account a much harder schedule. If we don't make the PO's in 2020, I would fully expect us to be in the mix in 2021. By then, JD should be done restocking the shelves and could parlay large available FA cash with more DP's and can start adding upper level talent.

dawinner127 likes this.