Wow Douglas Is Busy

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Apr 24, 2020.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Now the Jets have 3 4th round picks with the trade with New England

Catfish Billy likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's making a lot of picks and he's swinging for the fences on every one of them so far.

I like it. His strategy is the way to suddenly dramatically increase both the depth and the talent level of the Jets roster. It may not work but you can't say he isn't doing everything he can to achieve that result.

The difference between this draft and the 12 pick nightmare John Idzik turned in is that he's not drafting weirdly. The Idzik draft was full of uh oh's, whose that guy and why the hell did we promote that guy two rounds when we drafted him?

Freddy Mondo, Brook! and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  3. Br4d

For those who are interested in what you can do in the draft if you are focused on maximizing value: Douglas took the 48 pick, which people were looking at as a WR pick and he turned it into Mims (the WR) plus the 125, 129 and a 6th round pick next year. That is tremendous value for a 2nd round pick.

Pepsiguy5, Brook!, chandler and 4 others like this.
  4. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

like half of Idzik’s twelve picks were in like the 6th and 7th round lol

Br4d likes this.
  5. Br4d

And half of the guys he took before that should have been 6th and 7th round picks. It was just a nightmare, like the Jets board had been stacked totally wrong. It takes a bad organization to do that.

tomdeb, twown and Catfish Billy like this.
  6. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

You also fail to mention that the receiver he did take after gaining 2 4th and a 6th (so far, could still attain more) was largely considered a bottom of the first or top of the second pick. He was rated in all the mocks as being above every other receiver taken in the 2nd. I will agree I couldn't be happier about JD's approach. There is a high chance both his 3rd rounders contribute.

Brook! and Br4d like this.
  7. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Yea, we need a mass amount of players. Depth, starters, special teams, you name it.

I like this strategy if we can hit on a player or two today.

8. Br4d

I'm 50/50 on Mims but the fact that we got Mims plus 3 other picks instead of just Mims is incredible.

The trading down is like taking out insurance on the high risk/high reward picks that Douglas is making. It's very likely to be a winning strategy in the long run and that's exciting.

Brook!, Jonathan_Vilma and J-Raw24 like this.
  9. J-Raw24

I personally don't like Mims as much as I do Claypool or Pittman. But I also cannot deny he has talent and could become a great player. Ge makes me thing of a bigger TY Hilton. He may not be great, but he should be good. Add another receiver with one of those picks and I'm in. Gandy-Golden or Peoples-Jones. Maybe Tyler Johnson. And then our receiver core looks solid. I think it was a great choice

10. Br4d

Yeah, it's hard to argue with 6'3" 216 4.37. That's Terrell Owens territory in terms of tools.

Owens was similarly disrespected in the draft, falling to the late 3rd round in 1996. The era is different also but the top end on tools has not shifted much for WR's in the last generation.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  11. J-Raw24

Yep. He has the tools. I just hope Gase can get him to use them. Honestly I like the chance that all 4 picks work out and I'm excited to see the next 6+ picks. Douglas could be on his way to fixing the last 2+ decades. We already have 9 picks next year.

12. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I will add it took some real onions to trade back. Our past GMs would have paniced and traded up to grab Mims

twown and Br4d like this.
  13. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Idzik's plan was fine; the execution sucked

Great he had 12 picks; Horrible he had no eye for talent and didn't hire such an eye even though he had a trove of picks. He was the sucker at that card table

Jonathan_Vilma, Brook! and Br4d like this.
  14. Br4d

Trading back was the smart move. We've tended to have GM's who thought they were smart but acted stupid when push came to shove.

What we're seeing in Douglas is normal behavior which is kind of a culture shock in an organization that is usually anything but normal.

Owners like Dan Snyder cost their teams dozens of games over the course of their ownership by preventing normal behavior.

LAJet and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I would ad Al Davis to that last paragraph. I'd like to add that I will always hold him indirectly responsible for the Darrelle Revis debacle. Davis paying Nmamdi Asomugha an unprecedented ridiculous amount of money for the CB position opened the door for Revis and Uncle Sean to embark on their annual Jets management hostage taking campaign. Well, it sure felt annual. OK, perrenial fits better. Fck you, Al Davis even though the Jets whiffed.

16. Br4d

Al Davis the younger, before he hit about 70, was the greatest football owner/exec ever. After that he was progressively worse until he became a huge drag on the franchise. That was the stage he was in when he paid Asomugha like he was a QB.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This draft wasn't that different than what Idzik imagined. He just lost his mind when he thought Amaro, McDougal, Jalen Saunders and Shaw Evans were talented players. He stuck to the principals of drafting high character captain type players. He forgot that they need to also be able to play football though.

Good post though. Spot on.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Crazy to think back at what this team could look like today if Douglas were here then. Yikes

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. jetophile

I realize that but it also doesn't make what I said a moot point. It's precisely what happened.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  20. jetophile

Jace Amaro was a credit card thief, lol.