Final Mock Draft from GAC

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 21, 2020.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Round 1
    Best OT available
    I'm gonna list them in the order i prefer. 1 will be there for sure. we grab the top on the list
    thomas, wirfs, wills, becton

Round 2
    Best CB available
    lots of people think we should go WR here. there is a case for it but the WR class is deep. if one of the top 4 WRs fall here (lamb, jeudy, ruggs, higgins) I'd consider grabbing one I doubt the top 3 fall but higgins could be a good pick here. nonetheless i'm going CB as there will be plenty of WRs later in the draft in order
    noah Igbinhognene, trevon diggs

noah is a converted WR but has ton of potential to be a CB1 in a couple of years. trevon is the younger brother of stephen diggs and also a converted WR but played very well at CB before the injury.

Round 3 (2 picks)
    thanks to the giants we have an extra pick here. this is where we double dip on the best Wrs available
    originally i had claypool and gandy bolden but claypool has risen and likely won't be here but if he is i'd take him 1st. gandy golden has slipped so i replaced him with pittman. hamler is the pick with claypool off the board. he's compared to a deshaen jackson type WR to stretch the field for us while pittman is the big guy over the middle so the compliment each other well
    KJ hamler, pittman

Round 4
    Julian Okwara Edge
    this is where we get help at OLB. jenkins is on a year year deal. opposite jenkins is mostly JAGs. probbaly still need more edge rushers next year but for now this will do. has potential though and could contribute as a rookie in a limited role

Round 5
    Jake Luton QB
    this is where you just take BPA and not really look to fill needs. we need a competant backup behind sam so always good to take a shot at a QB since their trade value is also high if they perform well. or he can be a good back-up and save us from the falks and fales of the world.

Round 6 (2 picks)
    Lamar Jackson CB
    Jared Hilbers OT
    jets still need developmental players at CB and OT as well as depth there. these 2 can compete for roster spots with the rag tag groups we have at their positions.
    Another option is tyler bass at K as that has been a hole for us lately as well if one of the 2 above are off the board.

2. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

Love Lamar Jackson but I don’t think he will be around that late. Have us getting him 4th round in my mock.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  3. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

It would be typical Jets to wait until round three to draft a WR in a supposedly loaded WR draft after losing Robby in free agency.

Why draft the next Julio Jones at the top of the draft when we can get okay wrs later on? They're wrs they're all the same they'll all be good!!!

Jets logic.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I would not take a CB in round 2. Would much rather get a Mims, Higgins, or Pittman with that pick.

BomberJet, FJF, westiedog1 and 2 others like this.
  5. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

We do have a need at CB but I'd go ahead and just sign Logan Ryan if we can. Don't want to take a CB in round two (thought I'm ok with taking one with one of our 3rd round picks) but the first two need to be OL/WR or WR/OL. Or heck even OL/OL

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I really think we need an interior OL pick as well as an OT in the frst 3 picks. Lewis, Van Routen or Winters should not be starting for any team. We really need 4 new OL but an upgrade at tackle and inside would be a great start to rebuilding the line and protecting Sam.

101GangGreen101 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  7. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Agree. There are certain positions on a football team that are "all or nothing." CB is one of those positions. Either you have the ability to cover, or you don't. If you need a CB, waiting for the second round isn't going to help you. If the guy was any good in coverage he would have been grabbed up in round 1. CB's taken after round 1 are not likely to be that good in coverage, and are not likely to develop the skill you need because a big part of their skill set is speed. (Exception: If you have a good pass rush, then you don't need shut down CB's on the outside and a decent 2nd round CB is okay, but the Jets don't have that.)

QB and Edge are two other positions that are a waste after the first round. The chances of getting a starting QB after round 1 are next to nil (see Hackenberg.) Trying to draft a backup is equally unwise (See every QB drafted by the Jets past the first round.) For a backup, signing a vet is the way to go. For Edge, again, either they can get to the QB or they can't. If they can, they go in round one, if they can't, no point in drafting one beyond the first round (see Trevor Johnson, IK Enemkpali, Lorenzo Mauldin, etc.)

Kudos to GAC for making the attempt at a mock. It is appreciated.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

everything i seen has him at a late day 3 pick. even NFL.com has him in the 6th
    https://www.nfl.com/prospects/lamar-jackson?id=32194a41-4332-1944-2c61-498a3d83a44e
    i do agree he's underrated and someone may grab him earlier though but in the fantasy land of mocks you can play it as it lies

because the next julio will be gone by the 2nd round we need CB and the quality of WRs in the 2nd to 3rd is very little drop off where the quality of CBs from the 2nd to 3rd would be huge. stop glorifying positions or thinking WRs won't bust. we are much better off grabbing 2 in the 3rd then using a 2nd rounder on one with the way this draft is. i could make the same stupid argument saying typical jets to pass up on the next revis to get the next david clowney. see how dumb that is?

pitman isn't worth a 2nd. we could get him in the 3rd pretty sure i mentioned him in the OP. higgins i mentioned as well. you guys are just glorifying the position

you have to look at the draft pool. if it was loaded at CB and weak at WR i'd agree but this draft is so stacked at WR that taking 2 in the 3rd round would be like taking 2 in the 2nd round in a lot of other drafts.

I thought about it but it didn't play out well. plus we signed so many lineman. right now as it stands our starters are fant, rookie LT, winters, lewis, mcgovern. then our depth guys are edoga, harrison, van roten. I think between the 1st rounder and the 3 o-lineman we signed and resigning lewis the pick would be spent better elswhere. plus hilbers i have in the 6th is a swing tackle kind of guy and might be better off at G in the NFL then at OT. that would make 9 lineman minimum and the 10th if we carry 10 would be one of the 5 or so we have otherwise

it's ironic how everyone is saying how we signed desir so we are good at CB and he was a 4th rounder. richard sherman was a 5th. you can find good CBs in the 2nd round. and the 2 i listed had they not been converted WRs and played more CB in college would likely be 1st rounders based on talent and cover skills.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. CotcheryFan

I'm not sure how going with a WR in round 2 is glorifying the position. BTW, Walter Football has Pittman going to the Ravens in the 2nd.

10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I want to see this team make a bold move.

Yeah they could take a OT in round 1 again JD will get pats on the back, people will make the D'Brickashaw comparisons, the safe pick.

Take the best available WR instead. Then take another one in round 3.

That would be something very different from what we're used to seeing from them on draft day.

Robby is gone, the cupboard is bare for Darnold. Get him some weapons NUCLEAR weapons so we can see if he can become what we hoped he is the day he was drafted.

NY Post is also saying Tua could slide in this draft if he's there in round 2 take him just in case Darnold isn't who we thought he is.

This team needs to start thinking outside the box, make bold moves, stop being so 'safe' most of the time. They're stuck in a mindset that hasn't amounted to any championships or recently any playoff apearances.

Change it up. Take chances.

#10 WarriorRB28, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think Pittman is going to go a lot higher then some predict. Some are saying 2nd round at this juncture, I doubt we can get him in the 3rd. There might be over 10+ receivers drafted in the first 2 rounds.

If you need weapons, might be best to get that started early, especially over the CB position.

westiedog1 likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

that's 1 site though he's more of a 3rd round guy. and people on here are way overvaluing the position

13. GasedAndConfused

taking an OT in the 1st is somehting different too. we haven't done that since brick in 04. and nuclear weapons won't mean shit when he is running for his life and taking years off his career

14. CotcheryFan

The last time we had above average WR production was 2015. It's no coincidence that it's the same year we last had an above average offense. If anything, past FO's have undervalued the position.

boozer32 likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

i'm talking about people here. not the FO.

16. 101GangGreen101

His stock has risen over the past month. Can't assume he will be there in the 3rd. Some have him in top 10-12 of receivers. A lot of talk about Pittman recently.

I agree that people over value the position especially in the first round. 2nd round all hell will break loose.

17. CotcheryFan

I think that's because we haven't had a stud homegrown WR in a long time. This year, Jeudy and Lamb are 1st round talents without a doubt. Ruggs, Jefferson, Mims, and Higgins could all hear their names called on day 1 too. If only our OL was properly addressed in the previous few years....

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

he's got limitation more then you want out of a 2nd rounder. I wouldn't take him there. great hands, scored high on the wonderlic, very polished. but doesn't create separation, not good at YAC, slow for his size on tape. not worth a 2nd rounder but i'd take him in the 3rd.

19. 101GangGreen101

He creates separation, he uses his hands and is smooth out of his breaks when running routes. Contests catches just as good as Mims too.

I wasn't a fan initially but the more games I watched the more I became a fan. Has the catch radius you want for Darnold. He's the type of receiever he needs. Too bad Robby isn't here.

20. 101GangGreen101

Darnold imo has the elite innate tool to raise the level of play around him. I do agree, if we fixed the line or did anything to help Darnold previously, Jeudy or Lamb would be a Jet guaranteed.

boozer32 likes this.