Jets are Showing interest in FA CB Logan Ryan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 17, 2020.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

But he was only a 6th rounder due to injury concerns rather than a talent doubt, some would say he possibly had second-round talent but his body was prone to injuries.

Don't shoot me, I am sure somebody said second-round talent lol

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Ryan is worth every penny of $10 million imo. I'd pay it and not look back.

Joe D MVP and SOJAZ like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

I don't think it would keep Bless from developing into a starting-caliber CB. He may not be that anyway, but even if he is, I think he would learn a lot from watching Ryan, and I think Austin would still get plenty of chances to play this season.

ColoradoContrails and boozer32 like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

I'd sign him for two-three years, with most of the money being paid up front, so if the Jets did want to move on after this season, they could, but if he plays well, they'd have him under contract for next season as well.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Wouldn't hate this but I also would rather wait to see how the draft plays out. Also I think at this point Ryan isn't going to sign for more than a year unless he gets the money he wants and no one should be giving him $10 mil a year. Salaries are going to skyrocket next season... he's probably going to bet on himself like Poole did and play for his next contract which by default will be for more money (unless he completely stinks the joint up which I don't think either of Ryan or Poole will).

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Hey I like Bless, I’m a fan. I certainly don’t think though he’s done anything to be handed a starting job. He’ll get chances regardless of who else is brought on, not like Ryan or especially Desir are sure things.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

The Jets will definitely carry at least 5 CBs this season, if not 6. This past season they had Trumaine Johnson, Darryl Roberts, Brian Poole, Arthur Maulet, Maurice Canady, Nate Hairston, and Bless Austin, and maybe another player I'm forgetting. I can't find a 2019 roster on the web. Even though several list as 2019 rosters, they have the current roster.

K'OB likes this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It has nothing to do with where Bless was drafted. It has to do with how bad the Jets drafting has been for the last 5 years. We need a few late round picks/UDFA's to develop into solid players or we are behind the 8-ball no matter what Douglas does in the draft.

Signing a 29 year old CB to a $10M one year deal doesn't begin to address the real talent issues the Jets have at this point. For one thing he's not under contract next year anyway and it would be good if the guy the Jets found was going to be under contract and under 30 for the next 3 or 4 years. That's what would help the team and the roster right now.

The only way to stop the 2 steps forward and one step back thing that has haunted the Jets when they were good and the one step forward and two steps back that has been the norm recently is to stop signing vets on 1 year deals, particularly at the high end of their range. We gotta develop some home grown talent or we're screwed.

I've been watching this for two decades now since Edwards and Bradway came to town and it just does not work. Period. We got lucky with Revis and Ryan working so well together for two years or we would have nothing to show for the 20 years.

boozer32 and K'OB like this.
  9. Sid Youngelman

Sid Youngelman Active Member

Yeah, that's the missing piece to the puzzle right there! Who gives a rats ass? Any INTERESTING news out there???

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I can’t wait til you reply to yourself in agreement.

K'OB and FJF like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

I agree that we have to develop some home-grown talent, but signing Ryan won't prevent that. The better teams develop young players who sit behind starters. The Jets can too. As I said before Austin could learn a lot from Ryan and help in his development.

I think Ryan was the CB that Douglas should have signed initially, not Desir. I think Ryan could possibly help us for 2-3 years, maybe more.

SOJAZ and boozer32 like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Ryan is a very good CB and could definitely make our pass defense better. If you can't see that as interesting, then you have a problematic attitude.

SOJAZ and boozer32 like this.
  13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

He's alot better than an average CB. It's about competition and if the other guys can beat him out more power to them. But it's a long season and you need depth.

NCJetsfan, BacktoQueens and FJF like this.
  14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Correct. He was in the running for DPOY at one point just last year, which is a far cry from “avg player”
    But we shouldn’t sign him in the hopes that a 6th round pick develops into anything close to that level?
    That makes no sense at all.

Bless and Desir are not exactly known for press coverage either which is a staple in Williams D, and we have virtually no depth behind them.
    CB like OT is not a position you can enter a season weak at, or opponents will exploit it all year long.

If the Jets can bring on Ryan for something reasonable, he will bring a lot of value add to this D.

boozer32, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Personally, I'd rather sign Ryan and lock him up for 2-3 years if they can, but if not for one year will be fine. I want this draft to be all about the offense. I would be perfectly happy if Douglas signed Ryan and then didn't draft a CB in this draft, added an edge at pick #79 or in the 4th round, and used the rest of the draft on offensive players, with maybe a P or K in the 6th round. I'd love to see the following.

1 - LT
    2 - WR
    3a - WR
    3b - Edge
    4 - IOL
    5 - QB
    6a - Gadget RB/WR PR/KR
    6b - P or K

Attackett and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Would you be against:

1 - WR
    2 - WR
    3 - Trent Williams trade
    3 - OL
    4 - Edge/B

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of T. Williams. His cancer and the lingering problems with his helmet not fitting because of it, are concerns. I admit using one of the 3rds to trade for him would provide great flexibility in the draft if they didn't have to count of finding legit starting OT in it, but he might be able to play. In this case I would have to rely on JDs knowledge of the situation and his judgment.

Also, I wouldn't be fixed on taking an OL with that 4th pick, although it would certainly be something I'd be looking for. But at that point I'd be looking for an Edge, CB, along with an OL, whichever is the best BPA/fit among them.

18. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't be against it, but wouldn't be wildly in favor of it, either. I have concerns with Williams since he hasn't played in almost 2 years, had cancer, and not sure how well he will be able to play any more. I'd love the idea of adding both Lamb/Jeudy and Michael Pittman or Chase Claypool, but would have some concerns with Williams. As long as Williams was healthy and could still play at a high level, I'd be very happy with it. I'd also be happy if Douglas had a handshake arrangement to sign Peters or re-sign Beacham following the draft and then went WR in both the 1st and 2nd round. As long as he does something to insure that Sam's blindside will be adequately protected, I don't care how he goes about it. I'd prefer he get an excellent LT prospect this year, but if it doesn't work out, he adds Peters/Beacham, and then gets an LT of the future in next year's draft, I'd be perfectly happy.

dawinner127 likes this.
  19. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

they can pick up , like $8 million, by cutting winters as OL guard.
    Plus, more monery saved after june 1st when trumaine johnson salary comes off the books.

NCJetsfan likes this.