Jets are Showing interest in FA CB Logan Ryan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 17, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/jets-s...-agent-cornerback-logan-ryan-report/313300340

Jets showing interest in free agent cornerback Logan Ryan: report
    Ryan is a Rutgers product and N.J. native
    By Alex Smith | 6:27PM

The Jets have focused much of their free agency efforts on shoring up the offensive line, but perhaps a new cornerback could soon be on the roster.

According to a report from Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets are attempting to "free up money to make a run" at cornerback Logan Ryan.

SNY NFL Insider Ralph Vacchiano notes that the Jets do have some flexibility in their cap space as it currently stands, and they have plenty of ability to free up any extra cap space that they may need to sign a player like Ryan, who is said to be seeking a short-term deal somewhere in the $10 million-per-year range.

Ryan, 29, is a Voorhees Township, N.J. native who played his college ball at Rutgers. Originally a third-round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, Ryan played his first four seasons with the New England Patriots before signing a three-year, $30 million deal with the Tennessee Titans.

Ryan's most productive seasons came in New England, as he intercepted 13 passes and forced four fumbles in four seasons. With the Titans, Ryan started all 45 games that he played in over three seasons, proving to be a durable piece of their secondary. His tenure with Tennessee ended with a bang, as he intercepted four passes in his final season in Nashville.

The Jets re-signed Brian Poole to be their slot corner earlier this offseason, and they then went out and signed Pierre Desir, likely to be a starter on the outside. Bless Austin currently figures to be the other starter on the outside, but if Logan were to sign, he'd jump to the top of the depth chart as the team's No. 1 outside corner.

I've wondered before why Douglas hadn't shown any interest in Ryan. I'm thinking he must have been hoping to sign someone else at another position, but has finally given up, and so is turning his attention to CB. I hope that he will sign Ryan, if it won't prevent his signing a decent backup QB, and maybe another FA OL. If he can sign Ryan, then the Jets wont have to draft a CB. They can draft an Edge in the 3rd or 4th round and go totally offense the rest of the draft.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Jets should give Bless a chance to grow into a good CB. He showed flashes last year and if he's ok the Jets have a cap windfall for at least 2 more seasons.

boozer32, JETS1116, Brook! and 3 others like this.
  3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Wouldn't hurt if it's a short term deal

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It would hurt if it keeps Bless Austin from turning into a starting caliber CB. Opportunity is a rare thing and with the Jets talent deficits they need to be giving everybody they can the opportunity to turn into a good player.

Paying $10M for a guy who is a decent CB is much worse than watching another guy getting paid half a mill turn into that guy. We're not talking star CB here, we're talking average NFL starter.

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Well I definitely missed the part where it said he wants $10m/per. Fuck that noise.

Br4d likes this.
  6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I’m thinking JD is simply hedging against the draft. Ryan is still unsigned - chances are he will be still be unsigned this time next week. I’m also thinking JD’s preference is what others on this thread prefer as far as Austin goes. JD is probably gunning for a CB in the 2nd or 3rd round and if he gets one he will be starting day one - possibly opposite Austin. If not he can fall back on Ryan with another one year deal.

But I’m thinking CB will be a high priority in this draft.....

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Free agency did not go the way any of the pending NFL free agents anticipated. Most signed extremely short term deals and then the pandemic smacked the league in the face anyways. It's a big reason why players like Logan Ryan are still floating around with a lot of availability.

He's a good player and would normally be a good signing. I agree with @Br4d though. Let Bless develop. And even behind him; let Maulet keep fighting. He struggle against bigger receivers but I think he has the potential to be a good replacement for Brian Poole. We had a nameless defense play extremely well in the second half. Some of them need the chance to develop further.

8. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah we got Bless, Poole, Maulet, and Desir that have any name recognition right now. I though addressing this sometime day 3 would be good for depth purposes that would round out the group.

Given that we are revamping the offense and Gregg Williams did more with less last year I think we’re okay there for now. I would rather pay some money for a situational pass rusher of which there are several still available. I know this team hates players on the edge but still.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Not sure how much g Williams like bless. He didn’t get much run any after he gave up that long td in a rookie mistake. Then looking at ryan is more proof they’re not thrilled with who is on the bench right now.

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If they are indeed looking at him.

I think Bless needs to be given a chance but his injury woes of the past mean we have to have somebody capable on the bench but Logan is too expensive at 10m probably is too expensive just for his actual talent alone.

If he wants a short term deal and accepted 7m then we could rotate at need or on a situational basis etc?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

The fact that Bless was benched and never really given a second chance, when we were hurting as bad as we were at the position.

Is a concern. I'm hoping Bless turns into a steal for us but I do think the end of last season was a very bad sign for that hopeful outlook.

NCJetsfan, ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  12. K'OB

It was certainly a tough punishment considering what he had shown previously.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

$10 mil is steep but if it’s a one year deal I guess it’s not bad. But that leaves you with none of your starting CBs under contract for next season. I’d rather let Bless have a run at it and draft someone/look at FA CBs next year than spend $20 mil on our corners with no longterm solutions.

ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Didn’t realize he was only 29 years old. I thought he was quite a bit older than that

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It depends on how much the deal is for, and how long. Signing him takes some pressure off having to find a good CB in the draft and enables them to focus on what I consider higher priority positions: OL, WR, Edge.

16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I would be a big fan of this signing. Would definitely allow us take a corner in round 4 or 5 opposed to one of our top 4 picks.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. K'OB

You would carry 5 CB's next season?

18. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Would be a good signing. He would start, he’s a good player. One year 10 million would be very fair. CB’s who play like him aren’t cheaper then that.

19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

29 year old. Can still be useful but let’s give the young ones a chance. Pass.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Bringing in competition/depth/Insurance doesn’t preclude Bless from developing.

It would be completely irresponsible for a GM to ignore a clear upgrade at a position of need just to give a 6th rd pick a chance to develop.

NCJetsfan likes this.