The GM game

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KingRoach, Apr 11, 2020.

?

Who would you rather add to the team?

1. Your #1 WR

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Your #3 OT

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  3. Your #5WR & Your #5OT

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The way the board falls and your trade options, who would you get with the #11 pick?

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’d take my #3 tackle because he would still be higher than my 1 wr.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Just want to say that it really should be #3WR and #5OT assuming a Jet trade down but I would take #5 and #5 over any single player the Jets could get on the 11. The roster really is that thin at this point in terms of players who might be impact players in 2 years.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can't answer that. For one thing, even though Douglas might be assured of getting his #5 OT in Josh Jones with a trade down (if Jones is indeed Douglas' #5 OT), he wouldn't be guaranteed of getting his #5 WR. It would also have to include some backup plan for this season like re-signing Beacham, signing Peters or trading for an OT following the draft, or trading for Trent Williams. Personally, I'm torn. The Jets could still get a great, very elite WR in the second or third round, but maybe not. The longer the Jets wait to draft an elite playmaker, the harder it will be for them to get one because the team will be getting better, winning more games, and drafting lower. The same thing goes for an elite OT. It boils down to whether one would rather have an elite LT protecting the QB's blindside or an elite WR who could help your QB develop and your offense score a lot of points. One doesn't have to have an elite OT. One can have a very good OT, a good cohesive OL that works well as a unit, and can always roll Sam to the right. I'd rather have an elite WR than an elite LT, but I'd rather have both. Although the top 4 OTs are considered to be very good prospects, I don't believe that they are "elite" in the way that Jeudy and Lamb are "elite."

With the trade down, Douglas could possibly be guaranteed of getting his #5 OT, but not his #3 or #5 WR. Josh Jones could develop into as good an LT as any of the top 4. Then again, he could be just meh, or even be a bust. I think there's less chance of Jeudy or Lamb being a bust. By pick #48, I expect a minimum of 8 WRs to be off the board and maybe as many as 10-12, so I don't think you can say getting the #5 OT and the #5 WR. If that could be guaranteed, then that's probably the option I'd take, but since it can't, I'm just glad that I'm not the one having to make that decision.

5. NCJetsfan

How could it possibly be the #3 WR? At least 6-8 WRs are getting drafted in the first round, and by the time the Jets draft at #48, another 4 WRs could be off the board. If anything, it would be the #10+ WR and the #5 OT. That, I wouldn't be happy with. I think it more important to either get as close to an elite LT as we can or to get an elite playmaking WR.

6. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I don't think 6-8 get drafted in the first round. Most teams realize how deep this class is and will prioritize other positions in round 1. 4-5 receivers will go round 1. Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs, Jefferson, and maybe one other will go round 1. After that they will all be round 2-5

Footballgod214 likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I don't think teams will wait and then have to choose from the leftovers. I believe the following teams are interested in WRs, and there could be more: Giants, Jets, Raiders, 49ers, Jaguars, Packers, Broncos, Cowboys, Cardinals, Dolphins, Eagles, Vikings, Patriots, Saints, and probably the Redskins. Neither the Giants, Redskins or maybe the Jaguars or Saints will take one in the first round. I definitely believe the Raiders, 49ers, Packers, Broncos, Cowboys, Eagles, Dolphins, and Vikings will look to take one in the first round. The others could as well. Eight may not get taken, but I believe that more than 4-5 will.

8. J-Raw24

I don't think Cowboys or Viking will be cause they absolutely need defense. Cowboys have Cooper and Viking have Thielen. Both teams need corners, pass rushers and more. Cardinals will go o line, they have hopkins now. Broncos may also go o line depending who drops. Phins could also wait, they new HC may go qb, lt, and a defensive player as they also lack edge, then address wr in round 2 and 3.

9. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

I’m sorry but Imo I take the #1wr on his board over the top 4 ot on his board. Think we can get a starting zone blocking ot in round 2 or even round 3.

10. NCJetsfan

That's cool, we don't have to agree. I absolutely believe that all the teams you mentioned will take a WR. The Cowboys' pass rush is just fine, and this isn't a very good draft for pass rushers. Amari Cooper is the only good WR they have and they lost their long-time TE this offseason, and looking at their roster I don't see a TE there that will be a lot of help in the passing game. They will absolutely take a WR in the 1st or 2nd round. Assuming we go OT at #11, then Dallas will have taken a WR before we do. The Vikings only have Thielen and Tajae Sharpe. Their other good WR (whose name escapes me at the moment) was traded to the Bills, and the Vikings have two first round picks, and I believe one of those will be used on a WR. In both cases, so do at least a few of the "experts" in the media. Yes, the Cardinals will probably go OL in the 1st, but they will pick before us in the 2nd, and will likely take a WR there. Their offense will be very good with Fitzgerald and Hopkins, but add an OT and another WR, and they could really have an explosive offense. The Broncos could go OL, but I'm reading that they are likely to go WR, as they only have Courtland Sutton at WR and Noah Fant at TE for Drew Lock to throw to. With three 1st round picks I definitely believe that one of those will be a WR.

11. KingRoach

It’s fun to go back and see how well you can read the room. I personally thought the QBs drop so I’m no saint.

12. J-Raw24

Yeah. Sadly both took one. And a few I thought had no chance jumped up. Honestly I think some that are still available are better than ones that are picked. Makes me kinds happy.

13. KingRoach

I think we’ll get one of the first 3 off the board tomorrow. Who are you pulling for?

14. NCJetsfan

Six WRs went in the 1st round. As I thought, the Raiders, Broncos, Cowboys, Eagles, Minnesota, and Niners all took WRs. The Niners surprised me a little taking the DT first, but I had read that was a strong possibility. The Cardinals fooled us both taking Simmons. The Packers and Dolphins surprised me not taking a WR, but I bet they along with the Giants, Jaguars, Patriots, Redskins, and maybe the Saints will look to take a WR in the 2nd or early 3rd round.

15. NCJetsfan

I'm hoping for one of Mims, Higgins, Pittman and Claypool. I think there's a very good chance that Mims and Higgins will go before our pick in the 2nd round, but think we have a solid chance to get one of Pittman and Claypool. I think either can develop into a #1 WR. I like that Pittman has experience with Sam, but Claypool is faster, and I'd like more speed at WR, so am torn between those two. If Mims or Higgins are there, however, I'd take one of them.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I don't mind waiting until the 3rd round and picking up 2 good WRs.

I'd rather have four WRs who can catch and run than 1 superstar playing with 3 guys who can't get open. Keep the whole field in play on any down.

Using our 2nd round pick on a DB or Edge would be a huge upgrade our team really needs.

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

So I'm watching a replay of the 1st round and they're highlighting Chase Young. How easily he gets past these LTs is a joke. Some of these tackles don't even look like they're trying to block him.

Makes me really glad to have Becton over there now!

18. J-Raw24

Claypool, Higgins, or Pittman are my picks. If pityman falls to the 3rd I want 2 of them.