Mock Drafts (Please post all mock drafts here)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NCJetsfan, Dec 17, 2019.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Yeah, no thanks on that trade. I'm not passing up on Okudah, let alone Jeudy, Lamb, and Ruggs.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

no thank you

#282 amuck57, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

What to like:

1) I like the idea getting 3 extra picks
    l2) I like the idea of having two 2nd round selections (48 and 58) and two 3rd round selections (68 and 79) which you can fill out 5 immediate needs at OL, WR, CB, Edge and a RB (not in that order) and get 5 picks within first 79 players.

What I don’t like
    1) We trade down and missing out a true top player with one of the 4 OL and 3 WRs which we desperately lack a true star prospect.
    2) This moves help the Dolphins more than the Jets and still gives them 3 first round picks AND still gets them 3 impact players.
    3) Dolphins have 14 picks and they are loaded and taking their 3 picks doesn’t really hurt them as they still have 3 first round pick and high rd 2nd pick. Thus if you make a trade, you have to grab their 3rd 1st round pick and their 3rd as a minimum.

4. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I hope. You mean we get their last 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Connor Rogers' latest mock:
    1st rd Andrew Thomas

2nd rd Michael Pittman WR

3rd rd Bradlee Anae Edge

3rd rd Bryce Hall CB

4th rd Lynn Bowden KR/PR/WR

5th rd Antonio Gibson RB/WR

6th rd Kvon Wallace S

6th rd Javelin Guidry DB

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like the first 4 picks, don't know much about the last 4.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

According to Costello in the NY Post today, his mock has them taking Okudah with the 11th pick:
    ****************************************************************************************************************
    "Round 1 (pick 11 overall) — CB Jeff Okudah, Ohio State
    We get a surprise to start off this week’s mock. Okudah, rated as the best cornerback in this draft, is expected to be drafted No. 3 by the Lions. In this mock, Detroit passed on Okudah for linebacker Isaiah Simmons, frustrating Giants fans.

All four of the top offensive tackles were taken in the top 10, which left a decision for the Jets between Okudah and wide receiver Jerry Jeudy of Alabama. The Jets need help at both positions, but I don’t think you can pass up the chance to get a top cornerback.

The Jets cut both of their Week 1 outside starting cornerbacks last year and only signed Pierre Desir in free agency. Okudah would walk in as the No. 1 cornerback on the team. Now, the Jets only have to hope he is not another Dee Milliner, the last cornerback they drafted in the first round.
    *******************************************************************************************************************

If they take a defensive player first AGAIN, I'll shit! Really? Passing up someone like Jeudy for a CB? NOt only would it be continuing a losing trend by the Jets, taking "D" with their first pick, it's not as great a position of need, nor is a CB worth more than a WR.

I will have serious doubts about Douglas if he does this.

boozer32 likes this.
  8. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

Draft Simulator:

1: Jedrick Wills - OT
    2: Brandon Aiyuk - WR
    3a: Cam Akers - RB
    3b: Chase Claypool - WR
    4: Tyler Biadasz - OL
    5: Lamar Jackson - CB
    6a: Trey Adams - OT
    6b: Rodrigo Blankenship - K

#288 JetsGoFar, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  9. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I agree I will be very disappointed. Much rather have Lamb or Becton or Thomas. But I wouldn't hate it as much as the people predicting we take Chaisson or one of the 2nd tier edge/dline. Okudah will be an absolute beast in GW's system. But I would rather have a WR, Oline, or trade back.

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

This thread is for mock drafts, not draft game drafts. Please post these in the draft game thread. Thanks!

11. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I guess I'm the opposite of you in this case
    If Okudah is there @ 11 (there's no way he should be in the real draft) I would have serious questions about Joe D if he passed on one of the best CB prospects in the last decade to take a WR in this what is historically deep WR class — Albit this is probably worst case scenario as I would take probably any of the 4 tackles there but all are off the board by this point.
    Also, if this hypothetical situation happens, I'd imagine that a team would fork over a future 1st rounder for the chance to draft Okudah which would be more of my dilemma.

FJF likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I understand, and also realize that probably most Jets fans aren't as fed up as I am with the "defense first" mentality of the team for decades. It may shock some relatively younger (relative to my being an old fart), that the team took on the "Jets" name and identity and built the team to that image: fast, high flying, NOT plodding, 3 yards and a cloud of dust like the Giants and the NFL were seen. But after the merger, and after Irsay and Weeb left, the team joined the NFL herd and bought into the "defense wins championships" thinking. To be fair, that formula held mostly true up until the 2000s, and defense is still important. But the NFL has become an offense-driven - specifically passing driven - league. Meanwhile the Jets have been stuck a few decades behind.

It may well be that Okudah is the greatest CB prospect in years, but the Jets offense is a dumpster fire, with the exception of Darnold, and he needs protection and weapons way more than the defense needs a "shut down CB". They can get by with less than that level of a CB much better than the offense can get by with the mediocre talent they have.

If Okudah somehow fell to them, I would hope that JD accepts a big offer to trade down rather than take him. If instead he takes him "Because he was the BPA", I'm going to have Maccagnan flashbacks and suffer PMSD: Post-Maccagnan Stress Disorder.:eek:

boozer32, NCJetsfan and phubbadaman like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Spot on.

I'm afraid I agree with Colorado. We already have Adams in the secondary who will be paid at a high level. We cannot afford another secondary player who will be getting a top salary in 4-5 years. Sam will be earning big bucks then. Hopefully, will have a very good, if not elite Edge Rusher by that point and he'll be getting big bucks. Even with the cap going higher, there's only so much space under the cap, and it can't all go to Defense, and an especially large chunk of it cannot go to the DBs.

What would be the point of drafing Okudah if we knew that we weren't going to be able to re-sign him in 5 years?

I also don't buy into the "if the GM doesn't draft this prospect who is one of the best in years/decades then I'm going to have serious doubts" mentality. Many things go into deciding which player to take. Talent, athleticism and skill are certainly important, and a team needs great players, but it also needs balance in strength of units and in salary, it has to consider scheme fit and needs. IMO at this point the Jets are so out of balance that it would make zero sense to take Okudah. They don't need another 1st round pick used on the D. They need some 1st round picks on the offensive side of the ball. They have glaring needs at WR, Edge and OT. As Colorado said, CB is a need, but not as important as the other three. The Jets could take a CB in the 2nd or 3rd round and then draft another next year and they will be fine at CB. For that matter, Logan Ryan is still out there and we have cap space. There are no other FA WRs worthy of signing. There are a couple of OTs out there but one is only average and the other, while having been pretty good, is 38 I believe. Considering those facts and the fact that the #1 priority is and should be protecting Sam and helping him to reach his potential, the need at CB becomes totally inconsequential, and thus taking Okudah would be foolish imo. We've gone the route of having elite CBs and it got us nowhere except into cap hell.

#293 NCJetsfan, Apr 8, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. JohnnyP123456

I completely understand where you are coming from, and I think it is completely unrealistic that all 4 of the top tackles are gone by this point (like in this scenario we are discussing). And I would also agree that I would try and trade out first to a big offer than taking Okudah. But if there's no bidders for the price we want, than I would rather select him than Jeudy/Ruggs/Lamb just because of the drop off at the corner position in this draft relative to the receiver position.

15. JohnnyP123456

I don't think I would be particular about the cap hit down the road in 5 years with drafting Okudah. And like I said in response to Colorado, I believe the drop off in talent at corner from Okudah to some of the others is way more significant to that of Jeudy/Lamb/Ruggs and the rest of the recievers.

The board also screwed us over in that mock draft scenario as all of the tackles were gone.
    And last point (but not really draft related), what has Darnold actually shown us/proven that he deserves big bucks? I know he's only 22 and has a lot of potential (and am NOT trying to say I don't believe in him, I do) but what realistically would we give to him?

I really believe that this scenario is probably the second worst case scenario (unless he goes top 10 with Young and the 4 QBs and 4 tackles) and would ideally move out for significant compensation

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If I'm not mistaken, his agent will not settle for a "discount." But you're right, he hasn't played well enough to warrant a 35-40 million per year contract. That's why this is such a crucial year for him, assuming there is a season. With a better OL and skill position players, he can show everyone why he was the 3rd pick in the draft. While this draft is deep at WR, I'd prefer to not wait until round 3 to take 1. A mid round WR prospect will likely take a year or two to develop.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Draft Picks

1. CeeDee Lamb WR Oklahoma

2. Isaiah Wilson T Georgia

3a A.J Terrell CB Clemson

3b Zack Moss RB Utah

4. John Simpson G Clemson

5. Chase Claypool WR Notre Dame

6. Anthony Gordon QB Washington State

6. Casey Toohill LB Stanford

18. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

I normally see clay pool mocked in the 2nd or 3rd and Terrell late first or second but would be happy with this haul.

NCJetsfan and boozer32 like this.
  19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

#299 joe, Apr 8, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

We do not need a CB. If he passes on Jeudy/Ruggs and Lamb Douglas will be not impressing anyone in JetsLand. The entire league is amped up for scoring and the Jets are near the bottom in talent to keep up with the league. A CB will not fix that at all.

ColoradoContrails likes this.