The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I explained why not. They'll take reps the rookies could get in TC. With not OTAs or mini-camp, the rookies will need all the snaps they can get if we hope to get anything out of them this year.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I stopped reading at "JoeD moves up". Not going to happen, but if it did, I'd be pissed.

We've needed a legit pass rusher for over a decade, waiting another year to get one isn't a crisis worth giving up valuable draft capital and a decent (perhaps vg) player.

Quarantine making you desperate?

#1642 ColoradoContrails, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This would scratch a huge itch on our roster. We haven't had an elite pass rusher for almost 15 years now (and counting). This may be the closest we come to getting a top 10 pass rusher for years to come.

We can get WRs later in THIS draft, and can get lineman in almost any draft.

But elite pass rushers are as hard to get as QBs. Maybe harder.

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Skins wouldn’t take that deal anyways. Believe Allen, Payne are young and fine up the middle. They have Kerrigan they need to replace...having Chase and Sweat off the edge would be a nightmare for opposing offenses to defend. Quinnen would be more of a luxury for them.

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

A few issues I have with your idea:

First, we have too many holes to move up in this draft.

Secondly, if we don't get at least an OT(and possibly an IOL) from this draft, then Sam will be running for his life early and often.

Third, we arguably need OL and WR's more than an elite pass rusher given the state of our roster. We can get an edge prospect in round 3 and/or one in round 1 next year.

6. DefenseWinsChampionships

Mayowa signing signals that Seattle likely won't keep Clowney!!!

He's about to become a... JET!

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Christ it's been a week already?

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd want Douglas fired immediately, tarred and feathered, and run out of town on a rail. That would be colossally stupid. Yes, we've been without a top edge rusher for a long time, and we can wait another year. The top priority now has to be protecting Sam and surrounding him with receiving talent. Young would do nothing to help Sam.

9. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Clowney will be a Titan. No chance he's a jet unless he settles for a lot less. After all the deals we made are signed we won't have the cap.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

Now I know this is probably going to make a few people’s heads explode but I can’t wait until we have a coach that’s a draw again. Rex was that. Bowles is that for Tampa right now (Suh said he resigned because he wanted to play for Bowles). Williams is that for us. But one day we’ll get back to having a coach that people actively want to play for and that will hopefully coincide with Sam reaching his potential.

11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Obviously a winning culture trumps this.

Majority of players opting to sign with NE are doing so not because of the lax player friendly atmosphere.

Also, I'm over soft players who want to be coddled. Go home to your wife for that shit.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm not buying into that nonsense one bit. I know you go out of your way to throw dirt on Gase on every thread, no matter what the subject, and frankly I don't care about Gase, but this doesn't justify shit. In fact Bowles didn't attract IMO as many players as you think, read Barr, and Cousin, even while overpaying thru the nose. Bowles did manage to field a pretty sad team and as a HC he was pathetic, so your theory means nothing. Rex and his big mouth was not too far behind Bowles either.
    There is zero proof that players don't want to come to the Jets because of Gase, in fact its because we no longer are the patsies that over pay for talent. Gase or not. Winning trumps personalty any day of the week, and BB is king, and everyone wants to go there, and it aint because they love Bill.

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

Well that pipedream is dead

14. ColoradoContrails

Why? From what we've read that's exactly what Douglas is trying to build.

15. BroadwayAaron

Right. Trying. We aren't there yet. By all accounts we were a dumpster fire last season. I think people can clearly see the talent Darnold has and the way the defense plays for Williams but as an organization, we're still a mess until proven otherwise.

16. ColoradoContrails

Well, you gotta start somewhere...

17. BroadwayAaron

Yep. And I think we are. But there are probably at least 10 other teams that would be interested in him that he'd be interested in as well if he's looking for culture and the promise of one for the length of his next contract.

18. ColoradoContrails

Yes, of course, like most players probably want to play for the Patriots, Chiefs, Rams, Seahawks, and a few others. But those teams likely already have their stud pass rusher, or because they have a lot of good players who are paid very well, might not have the cap room. The Jets, on balance, may offer the best situation he can hope for.

That said, I'm not saying JD is going to go after him, but I wouldn't rule it out if the price is right.

19. twown

twown Well-Known Member

CC, your example is like some kid proposing to a hot chick who tells him straight up, "I want a rich guy."

He can tell her, "But I'm trying to be rich!" See where that gets him.

The days of NFL GM's underestimating the value of a great culture are over. Every GM is trying, but even happy locker rooms fall apart if you can't win games.