INTERESTING - Inside look at Jets GM Joe Douglas’ new draft grading system

Discussion in 'Draft' started by LF911SC, Apr 7, 2020.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I get the injury thing but also remember he labeled DeVante Parker “injured” when he wasn’t. Gase leaves, Parker puts up 1200 yards and 9 TDs in 16 games.

2. BroadwayAaron

God you’re so much fucking smarter than I am I should probably just bow out. But hey one more time since I know nothing and you’re a genius, is Greg Van Roten bad in pass protection?

3. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

LOL....I giggled a bit at that line too. But then I remembered Ozzie was a (HOF) player then executive for the Browns before Art jumped ship to Baltimore. 1980's Browns had some very good teams that Ozzie was apart of. Cutting his teeth with the Browns lead to Superbowl's for the Ravens.

4. BroadwayAaron

Also, thank you for having the mental capacity to have an actual conversation with someone you disagree with.

5. BroadwayAaron

I'm not going to bother going all out and showing you how not crazy it is to call Gase's offense conservative because you have a penchant for staring facts in the face and still ignoring them, but here's two easy ones that didn't require signing up to read the full article:

https://thejetpress.com/2020/01/19/new-york-jets-adam-gase-blame-ryan-tannehill-failures/

"His offensive game-planning was a mess in 2019 past the opening drive scripts, he didn’t seem to maximize the skill sets of important players like Sam Darnold and Le’Veon Bell, and his conservative approach in the second half cost the team on multiple occasions."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-the-wrong-coach-for-sam-darnold-and-the-jets

"A deep dive into Gase's record in three seasons as the Dolphins head coach and offensive architect revealed he may not be the right coach to develop Darnold—or any young quarterback.

The problem is easy to summarize: Gase's system threatens to choke out Darnold's potential by ordering him to throw too many too-short passes."

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Landry had his best years with Miami. But I think Parker was entitled and I think he was humbled.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

parker is not even that good today but he was injured under Gase

true story, this broadway dude prolly posted 300 hundred times about Gase making Parker inactive, but it was just something he saw on Twitter and it was about 1 game.

Parker was coming off an injury. He thinks he was ready, every player thinks that

8. BroadwayAaron

His best year came before Gase IMO. His first year was very good too and from that point on, he became a glorified slot receiver. That year he led the league in receptions is just proof of that. Another example of Gase not knowing how to use what he has. Landry, Parker, Bell, Drake, even Damien Williams.

9. BroadwayAaron

Totes man

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I assume the article is referring to the first Cleveland Browns team that become the Baltimore Ravens.

11. 101GangGreen101

2015 and 2016 he had good years. I don't think Landry is better or worse since leaving Gase, he's pretty much the same receiver. Probably not as good QB play with Baker which says a lot considering who was throwing him the ball in Miami.

For Bell, they need to fix the line. If you remember the first week of the season against BUF, Bell was being used really well and same with other games. I think that relationship will improve. Drake was good in Miami, just didn't get a shit ton of touches.

IDK man play-calling here seems to be the case instead of scheme.

12. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

Falco21 and FJF like this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

yeah I am not going to put a ton of stock into him breaking out case Gase left. The guy has some talent, but he clearly wasnt ready. Ill be interested to see if he can do that again.

14. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

agreed. need to consider the context, e.g., the roster he had which was not only injury-riddled but not well suited for what he wanted to run (news flash to overly-critical Gase-critics -- probably why Macc was fired)

when is the last time we expected opening drive scores -- honestly? Did we reasonably expect that ever in the last 20 years? (not want, but actually expect) I started to expect that last year second half.

ANd to be sure there are plenty of things to work on but I agree with your post 100%!

NCJetsfan and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  15. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i think that was a reference to the Browns that turned into the Ravens

16. 101GangGreen101

If only the rest of his play calling was as good as the opening drives! Agreed.

NCJetsfan and SOJAZ like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

From the article, the main consideration is not aimed at finding players to fit his coach's schemes, but first to find players that fit HIS scheme, HIS blueprint. Then from there, he looks in that pool for players that fit the current coach's scheme, This makes eminent sense, and frankly was a failure in Maccacgnan's evaluations. Using his own blueprint then it doesn't cause a problem if the coach you had is fired, or leaves, the players should still be able to adapt. Of course there might be some who can't, and you look to replace them, but over time, this should lead to stability because you've built a consistent winner, thus less coaching turnover and less player turnover.

This guy has a well thought out plan based on the successful plans he's work in over the years. I'm as optimistic about the Jets as I've been in years.

As for all the Gase stuff. I still think he's a liability, but this season will reveal all we need to know about him, and if he can't deliver a better performance than he's done in his career, I think Douglas will fire him. But for now, he's the HC, and Douglas is right to try and give him (and GW) the guys they need.

18. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

and at some point you will stop making every thread about Gase. Can we keep to the original topic which is JD's draft and scouting strategy? thanks.

19. BroadwayAaron

I was responding to a post that was already in response to another post about Gase. And in my first post, half of it was about JD’s draft strategy. Back read a bit.

20. BroadwayAaron

All I’m doing is responding to posts other people already made and adding facts. You might call it whining because you don’t agree.