Draft Rumor (Quinnen Williams)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 5, 2020.

?

If Atlanta is willing, would you trade Quinnen Williams for the Falcons' #16 pick?

1. Yes, where do I sign up?

59.1%
  2. No, Get Outta here!

37.9%
  3. Other

3.0%
  1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Definitely trade Q for a first, he was outplayed last year by guys like Phillips and Fatukasi. There's no way they would trade it straight up though IMO. Having 2 1sts would give us tremendous leverage though.

I'm going to make a bold statement, feel free to copy and paste, Quinnen Williams will never see more than Jason Ferguson type of numbers in his career. I believe he will be solid, but no where near a Donald or Sapp. I don't believe he has the explosion/athletism of those guys or the same mean streak.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Jason Ferguson was an excellent DT/NT. Not All-Pro but very similar to Calvin Pace in overall effect. He made the defenses that employed him stronger.

NCJetsfan and twown like this.
  3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I guess I'll always be biased against Q since I never wanted him to be our pick... I still can't get over Macc picking him over Josh Allen.
    No way I could see Atlanta trading that pick straight up for Q but if they would be willing I'd do it in a heartbeat ... then we could deal it to Jacksonville for Ngakoue ;0

Pepsiguy5 and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What fascination? There is no fascination with trading Q. Williams. I saw the host of a show throwing the idea out there to trade Q. Williams to the Falcons for their #16 pick if they were looking to trade up to take a DT. Just as Avery Willams is a luxury, so is Quinnen Williams. We have a lot of good young players on the DL and solid depth. Q. Williams was a Mac pick. Douglas has no allegiance to him. Getting Atlanta's #16 for Williams could really give Douglas the opportunity to speed up the rebuild and put his stamp on the team. That's what prompted this thread.

We all know the Jets have big needs at OT, WR, Edge and CB, and that it's highly unlikely that Douglas will be able to significantly upgrade or fix all of those positions this year. Well, with having an additional 1st round pick, it would make that a lot easier, and we could get supposedly better players taking them a round higher than we otherwise would be able to. We could add a great OT and WR prospect in the 1st round and then easily take an Edge/CB prospect in the 2nd, and potentially get a better player at either position. Then with two 3rd round picks, we could take another WR and which ever position we didn't take in the 2nd round. With the present picks we have, we can't do that. Either we're going to wind up passing on an Edge, CB or 2nd WR in order to address all 3 positions adequately. We could wind up taking an OT, CB and 2 WRs and not address Edge at all, or only wind up taking 1 WR when we need to add two in this great draft class.

It has zero to do with some "fascination with trading Q. Williams" and everything to do with building the team in the right way. Q. Williams is just a marketable talent at a deep position.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This year Washington has 2nd overall and is targeting Chase Young (DL). QW was rated higher last year than Chase Young is rated this year. Sooo....offer Washington QW for the #2 pick. They get QW, the better player and we get another top pick.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

How does that leave a big hole up the middle? Fatukasi and Phillips were more than capable players and they didn't cost us a top 3 pick.

7. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

People of course can have different opinions but this ranks up their on the impatience scale (akin to fire Gase after 3 or 4 games and being deadly serious about it)

NCJetsfan and BomberJet like this.
  8. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I'm not trading Q for anything at the moment before we can really see how he progresses his 2nd year. At his age and potential I expect to see much bigger returns as he polishes up his techniques and gets into a full 16 game season shape, imo.

#28 BomberJet, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

My thoughts exactly. Hated the pick at the time but want to see what we have in him before I ship him off.

10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

"Hi, welcome to Jets talk, my name is Ryan and I'll be your pilot today." . . Some "show." . lol

Was there any need to listen any further (let alone start a bone-headed thread) after hearing the opening comment following his cheesy "I'll be your pilot" intro?

"There's apparently a trade rumor brewing...uh, er, take that with a grain of salt...this whole series of events leading up to the draft is always a crap shoot so you never know what's going on..."

*Click*

11. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I see we are all debating the part of the original post that was not a rumor. And ignoring the rumor.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My two cents. No to trading Q. I want to see what Our DC can do with him in his second year, supported by a better LB and CB squad. Are we moving more and more towards a 4-3 or not?
    The fact that Mac did not pick Josh Allen is unfortunate, and got many Jets fans to hate Q for it, but it is what it is. He was a rookie with just one real year or so of college exposure under his belt, and showed more flashes than most all the first round Jet DL selections before him. I have a feeling that Q will be a far bigger contributor in year two under Coach Williams.
    Yes to trading down if JD does not see an OL worth of the 11th pick Left and the two top WRs gone. This I would do in a heart beat.

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Please everyone notice this Trade with Atl proposed by the OP could happen if and only if our 4 Star Targets for the OL and WR are gone by #11

So with all the QBs out there that many teams ahead of us need , the likelihood that the Jets wont see an OL eg Thomas or WR like Ruggs available I think are are slim to none imo

Worst case scenario we unload one of Macs worst blunders and QW gets to tour all the Waffle Houses he wants for the rest of his career and catch up on the latest health information with the Governor of Georgia..sounds like a win win to me

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I would take the 16 for him and hopefully get a left tackle and a WR in the first round.

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Unless Joe Douglas absolutely dislikes Quinnen Williams, there is no way you can give up on the #3 overall pick, who is only 22 years old, already. I wanted Josh Allen. You wanted Josh Allen. Your Uncle's neighbor wanted Josh Allen, but Mac chose Quinnen. That is life. Hopefully it pays off, but definitely too early to trade him for the #16 overall pick.

NCJetsfan and BomberJet like this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Well first I wasn’t talking about you.

Second, I understand that we have a need at all of these positions but if you trade Q... who presumably is going to be the anchor of the DL as the main piece returning on the DL for a defense that was already spectacular against the run... then you've left another glaring weakness. Yes we had two guys step up and be players in Phillips and Fautikukiuiuiksai but you can't just assume that they can be the full time guys without Q. He's also a young player that everyone who was paying attention knew had to play a year or two and grow into his body. He played hurt, missed games because he was hurt and was in a rotation. He jsut played over 50% of the snaps and people are trying to use numbers to define him. There are so many reasons that's not wise (again, not talking about you).

He was so highly rated for a reason and it wasn't just our ex-GM that rated him highly. I would have rather had Josh Allen too, but to give up on Quinnen right now would be pretty dumb.

BomberJet, NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Only a fool GM would make that trade as described. You stay at 11 and take a stud WR or OT if they are there. You don't drop down to 16 only to pick up a 3rd rounder for the 11. Hell No. Never. Stupid.

ukjetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It has the benefit of dumping out of another Mac pick.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't see it as a "big hole" based off his actual production. Nothing that couldn't be replaced in large part more cheaply. Nothing worth passing up another pick in the first round.

NCJetsfan and Imagesrdecieving like this.
  20. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Quinnen may have been an ambitious pick, but a team full of Jason Fergusons is a very hard team to play against. Any player that Bill Parcells drags with him everywhere he goes is probably a guy you want.

NCJetsfan and Br4d like this.