The Reason Douglas Might Not Go OT In The First Round

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Mar 31, 2020.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

While he was with Baltimore he was able to fine OL gems in the later rounds. He found Marshall Yanda in the 3rd. Then he found C Ryan Jensen in the 6th round. While with Philly he G Isaac Seumalo in the 6th and Halapoulivati Vaitai in the 6th also. Also with Philly free agent Nate Herbig and left tackle Andre Dillard. Hopefully he as good or better in the other pieces needed to draft. This was from Jets Confidential article.

Mr mittens, BomberJet and dmw like this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Maybe I'm wrong, but my understanding is that OG's and C's are easier to find in mid to late rounds than OT's.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Andre Dillard was picked in the first round by the Eagles.

joe likes this.
  4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I hope you are right and Douglas is this good at drafting.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Mobile OT out of Wash. St. - was a 1st rd.

As for the thread topic: Maccagnan school of thought 2.0? . I doubt Joe Douglas' 1st draft is going to have him looking to catch lightning in a bottle in the 5th round.

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Prefer a young Lineman, but as long as he takes someone for Offense when Team #11 are on the Selection Clock Rnd One I am good

NCJetsfan, boozer32 and Brook! like this.
  7. boozer32

I hope so too the Jets are long overdue for some good luck.

8. boozer32

Still found by Douglas

9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. .
    . .Still 'found' in the first round.

. .*thread title*

NYJalltheway, 101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  10. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

If the reason Douglas doesnt take an OL in the first is because he's so good at it later on, that sounds like the absolute best situation of all time lol.

I feel like in general franchise tackles need to be taken early, but if he can get a legitimate guard or center with day three picks, than the Jets will be set up for success for a long time.

11. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Much easier to find IOL late than it is OTs

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  12. boozer32

Outside of Darnold what did Maccagnan find in the first round? I'll wait for that answer.

13. CotcheryFan

Jamal Adams. Whether is he was the right pick or not, that's another story.

Mr mittens and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Wait all you want - nobody was talking about Maccagnan.

This thread's about "Douglas possibly NOT going OT in the 1st round." . You incorrectly inferred that Andre Dillard was a 'find' by Douglas at which point @101GangGreen101 rightly corrected you by pointing out the fact that Andre Dillard was actually 'found' in the 1st round (i.e. the total opposite of this thread's subject).

At that point you could've gracefully acknowledged your mistake but nooo, .you had to dig in your heels and disingenuously steer the conversation off the "1st round" to say Douglas "found" him in an attempt to save face....when there wasn't any need to in the first place. . A simple "I stand corrected-thanks" would've sufficed. .

And then you repeated the same jive by irrelevantly dragging Mike Maccagnan's name into the discussion along with your intentionally ominous (but unintentionally funny) "I'll wait for an answer" comment.

Lastly, in your Mike Maccagnan irrelevancy, you were corrected yet again (this time by @HerndonFan): Jamal Adams, 1st round "find" by Mike Maccagnan.

Stopp diggging

NYJalltheway likes this.
  15. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

If we think we have the next Tyrone Smith, Trent Brown, Trent Williams, etc. at pick 11--you pull the trigger and address playmakers in the 2nd and 3rd.

Although, how awesome would it be to repeat one of our best drafts in history--go Left Tackle with first pick and center with 2nd. Becton/Cesar Ruiz or Thomas/Ruiz

If you guys remember, we signed Trey Teague in that free agency and still drafted Nick. Teague left the league that year.

16. CotcheryFan

I'd love to land Becton/Thomas and Ruiz, but I have a feeling Ruiz might be taken by the time we pick in round 2. His stock seems to be rising. Biadasz might be the C prospect who slides. Plus, with the signing of McGovern, I'm not sure how big a priority IOL is for Douglas to address compared to WR.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

From what I am increasing hearing and reading, the 4 OTs are considered in a group as relatively equal prospects, but they suspect that two of them could become Pro Bowl LTs, one will be just a solid starter, and the other could be a bust or disappointment. None are considered "can't miss" or really elite LT prospects. There have just been so few quality LT prospects in recent drafts that it's making them look better than they are, and combined with the desperate need on the part of NFL teams for quality OTs, teams are gonna reach for OTs in this draft. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 6, maybe 7 OTs taken in the first round (the top 4, Jones, Jackson, and maybe Cleveland). After that point there are only a couple of decent LT prospects (Prince Tega Wanogho and Ben Bartch). Some might include Matt Peart, but I don't. I think his ceiling is only a swing tackle, if that.

I think there's a very good chance that Ruiz goes in the 1st round as well, but if not, he's almost certainly gone before our pick (#48). Sorry to rain on your parade, but I wouldn't get too excited about either a Becton/Ruiz or Thomas/Ruiz 1-2 in the draft. We'll be very lucky to get one of Becton/Thomas in the draft, I don't think Ruiz will be there, and even if he is, we don't have a need for Ruiz now that we have McGovern, unless the plan is to play Ruiz at OG. McGovern's better at C than OG.

I'm starting to think we might come out of this draft without an OT at all, or if we do, it will only be a prospect like Lucas Niang, who is pretty much solely a RT prospect or Ben Bartch, who is a bit of a project and needs to get a lot stronger. I can easily see all 4 OTs gone before #11, and then Jones, Jackson and maybe Cleveland going before our 2nd round pick, and Douglas realizing that none of the remaining OTs are value picks or will be there at each of our successive picks. I hope I'm wrong, but if not, I hope that Douglas has a contingency plan worked out with either Jason Peters or Kelvin Beacham.

It's starting to look like our #1 & #2 picks will be WR and CB.

#17 NCJetsfan, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    boozer32 likes this.
  18. boozer32

This thread's about "Douglas possibly NOT going OT in the 1st round." . You incorrectly inferred that Andre Dillard was a 'find' by Douglas at which point @101GangGreen101 rightly corrected you by pointing out the fact that Andre Dillard was actually 'found' in the 1st round (i.e. the total opposite of this thread's subject).

At that point you could've gracefully acknowledged your mistake but nooo, .you had to dig in your heels and disingenuously steer the conversation off the "1st round" to say Douglas "found" him in an attempt to save face....when there wasn't any need to in the first place. . A simple "I stand corrected-thanks" would've sufficed. .

And then you repeated the same jive by irrelevantly dragging Mike Maccagnan's name into the discussion along with your intentionally ominous (but unintentionally funny) "I'll wait for an answer" comment.

Lastly, in your Mike Maccagnan irrelevancy, you were corrected yet again (this time by @HerndonFan): Jamal Adams, 1st round "find" by Mike Maccagnan.

Stopp diggging
    .[/QUOTE]

Didnt know I was digging anything. But I do think you are in over reaction mode on steroids. Douglas got Dillard 22nd in the first. The Jets draft top 10 every year and can't get that lucky. Adam's was expected to go that high. That's like giving props for taking someone you were expected to take. This year its finally different nobody knows where Douglas will go. Maccagnan was predictable and horrible. I see you fail to mention the offensive lineman Douglas did find in later rounds with 2 different team. Care to name any Jets picks that went to 8 pro bowls and will probably be a first ballot HOF choice in Marshall Yanda?

19. boozer32

Goes to Douglas thinking to get some veteran OL in free agency and get the skill guys in the draft.

20. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Pro Bowl - Wills and Wirfs
    Solid Starter - Thomas
    Bust - Becton

KY Jets Fan likes this.