Jets re-sign David Fales

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 31, 2020.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Of course but that’s completely irrelevant to 2020. Fales never played behind that OL. He’s barely played behind any OL because he isn’t good enough to be on an NFL field.

edit: yes I know he played but he threw 0 passes

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, but they won't be playing behind last year's OL. They'll be playing behind this year's OL. I hope they sign Moore.

K'OB likes this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If you give him 3m we are robbing ourselves, he is cheap as chips at 1m

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/matt-moore-4942/

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Gabbert is 13-35 as a starter.
    Glennon is 6-16 as a starter.
    Matt Moore is 16-16 as a starter. 1-1 with the SB champs last year.

I'd rather just draft a fifth or six round quarterback and take my chances with the unknown rather than the recycled garbage that is the majority of backup quarterbacks.

5. NCJetsfan

I'm guessing. I don't think any of us knows what Moore would want. Siemian got $1.2 million last year. The cap is larger this year and Moore is better than Siemian. I think he'll want at least $2-$3 million per season, and imo, that's reasonable.

6. NCJetsfan

You would rather take your chances, but I don't think Douglas or most Jets fans would agree with that approach. Chances are that a QB taken that low is not going to be able to play this season, especially with no OTAs and mini-camp. Darnold has yet to play a full season. The Jets need a competent backup. If Douglas goes with a Falk-caliber backup, he will get crucified in the media if that QB ever has to take the field, and rightfully so.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

What's the difference between Falk and the garbage like Glennon and friends?

Matt Moore was retired and coaching high school football since 2017 before Andy Reid convinced him to come out of retirement. I doubt he wanted or thought he was going to play a snap.

There are legitimate backups out there that would be preferred. I'd rather have Siemien back out of all of them. But there's not a lot of viable options available that are these massive upgrades over Fales.

FJF likes this.
  8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I said Flacco would be a good option not because of his chances of playing, but because he would play as a nice veteran voice that Sam could rely on.

9. Falco21

Imagine fans of teams like New England, New Orleans, Green Bay, Seattle, complaining about their backup QB LOL

We really are a shit fuckin franchise. I hope to hell that Douglas is the change we have desperately needed. Leave it to Jets fans to complain about the talent level and signing of a backup QB

10. K'OB

Out of interest why do you think he will be asking for more after his last three contracts on that list didn't top 2m?

2 x 1.75m and a 1m with KC

He could have 1.75m again at most as that was what he was getting when he was 3 years younger and probably slightly better than he is now.

:D

11. K'OB

Imagine a guy who is a fan of a team suggesting his fellow fans are worse than the fans of their hated rivals, why would you go that route, especially over a backup QB?

There is some fucking odd point-scoring goes on this site for some reason, if you don't think it is worth discussing then don't join in rather than disparaging folk who are rightly concerned that we have signed a guy that you couldn't trust to throw the ball as a backup QB atm.

Why does that statement bother you so much btw?

As I said, it is odd stuff at times on here.

12. K'OB

At least that is an answer that would probably be better than Fales but that list shows that Moore at least can hold his own as a backup.

Chappy13 likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

He's averaged 47 attempts per year over the past 9 seasons. He's pretty much unknown at this point and it seems like he probably doesn't have much of an interest in playing NFL football anymore as per reports that Andy Reid had to beg him to come out of retirement.

We're better off trying to develop our own backup from the draft. There are some better backups out there, but Glennon, Moore, Gabbert, Chase Daniels, Stanton, etc. Are all just Charlie Whitehurst type players. Probably cool guys to sit in the film room with and smart. Not sure why anyone thinks David Fales is that much worse or different than that.

He's been bouncing around the league as a shitty backup just as all these guys have.

FJF likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

LOL I said I was guessing. I didn't look up his previous contracts. $1.75 or $1 million are definitely better!!!

15. NCJetsfan

I have no interest in Glennon et al. I didn't realize that Moore had retired. I just knew that he was still playing/in the NFL and on a team. I know there aren't many viable options at all. I thought Siemian looked awful in his appearance last year, but if he's healthy, he would be better than a low-round draft pick, again, if for no other reason than we won't have OTAs and mini-camps to help the rookie get adjusted and learn the offense.

16. K'OB

I gave you the link in a quote you posted, you lazy bugger lol

17. K'OB

Without actually doing anything, he has barely entered the field of play, so like you said I would rather go with a rookie that him on that basis tbh.

Also, I didn't realise Moore had retired and came back, I thought he went straight from Miami to KC tbh

18. NCJetsfan

LOL Sorry, my bad. I scanned your responses quickly as I am on my way to the grocery store and to get an allergy shot, and didn't see the link.

K'OB likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Honestly if we went for a backup, the best one available (excluding Cam/Winston obviously) in my eyes is Geno Smith. Geno has a live arm and doesn't have as stupid of a football IQ as everyone makes it out to be. His problem was always pocket presence and tangling his feet up so he wasn't in a good position to throw. He also doesn't throw off platform well in the face of pressure.

I don't think he would've been some sort of franchise quarterback, but I think he would've been much better if he sat for a season or two and didn't have a dimwitted coaching staff.

K'OB likes this.
  20. Falco21

It's hard to imagine myself comparing our own fanbase to fans of hated rivals, but that is where we often find ourselves on this board.

Why do I go that route? Because we, as fans, dream of seeing ourselves as fans of a winning franchise. Instead, we find ourselves marveling at that feeling and wishing we could one day experience it. So what is the best route to take? The best route involves modeling yourself, as a franchise, after winning organizations. The praise for Douglas largely falls in that category. People often refer to his time under Ozzy to help understand his thought process and way of evaluating the free agent market. Those same people hope that we are modeled after a franchise like Baltimore. Why? Because they win. Year in and year out, they win. Whether that is with Flacco or a 2nd year QB, they win. Now you do not need to model yourself, as a fan, after the fans of a winning organization, but you look at them as a point of reference and a point of understanding the thought process behind rooting for a winning franchise. They do not give a shit who their backup QB is. They don't have dedicated threads complaining about a $1 million salary to a backup QB on their roster.

It's not about "some fucking odd point-scoring". It's about understanding the logic behind getting upset at a $1 million backup QB.

And to the overall point of your remark, why do I not care that we signed a guy that I can't trust throwing the ball as a backup QB? Where did you gather this fact from? From his time playing behind the league's worst offensive line in 2019? Playing with Anderson and Crowder as his two best WR's? The same could be said for any QB who would have been on the roster last year as a backup.