Jets Current State Cap/roster wise 03-26-20

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 26, 2020.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I do remember the final number I got to though. With 9 contracts still unreleased of players who have agreed to terms, the Jets should be sitting at about $42.1 million in available space.

-Jordan Jenkins
    -Pierre Desir
    -Connor McGovern
    -Breshad Perriman
    -James Burgess
    -Arthur Maulet
    -Bennet Jackson
    -Josh Andrews
    -Patrick Onwuasor

These are the players who’s contracts we are waiting on.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I found a faster way to get it done, and my son is still napping so I knocked it out.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Also doesn't account for the $11 million plus saved from Johnsons release. Comes back on June 2. Will cover the rookie pool and leave a little under $3 million extra

J-Raw24 likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

lol remember when barr did the same thing last year and everyone called mac shit for it?

IDFjet likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

everyone always says that and it never happens. i'm not concerned. WR is something you want to take in the mid rounds. lots of good ones come from there
    it's possible a lot can change in the next 3 weeks

an experianced starter with a decent track record. that's all you can ask for in a back-up. you can't say he magically sucks after 6 pass attempts in 1 game. maybe check your eyes. even darnold looked lost behind out line at times. do u not remember the ghost game?

6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

That list beginning after Perriman....hate to say it but all are about as roster fringe as can be, as in most rosters they would not make.

The first 4 should hopefully be good contributors though.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree with this. To begin with, you're wrong. One cannot make blanket statements regarding the draft. Each draft class is different. Strong, deep positions vary from year to year, and some draft classes are relatively weak while others are very strong. In 1996 (a strong draft for WRs) 11 WRs were taken in the first two rounds, with 5 taken in the first. In 2014 12 WRs were taken in the first two rounds. with 5 taken in the first. In 2015 9 WRs went in the first two rounds with 6 of them in the first. In 2016 (a bad year for WRs) 7 were taken in the first two rounds with 4 taken in the first. In 2017 6 WRs were taken in the first two rounds, with three in each round. In 2018 8 WRs were taken in the first two rounds, with two being drafted in the first. In 2019 (a relatively good year for WRs) 9 WRs were taken in the first two rounds, with 2 taken in the first round. It was a strong draft for DTs and fairly strong for OTs.

The only GMs who wait until the middle rounds to draft WRs are GMs on the way out of a job and those who still think one wins with defense and a strong rushing attack

My eyes are quite fine, thank you. If you couldn't see how lost Siemian was, then you're the one who needs your eyes checked. Yes, even Darnold looked lost behind that OL at times, but he didn't play in that game. The only two Jets QBs who played against that D, were Siemian and Falk. Siemian looked lost, like a deer in the headlights. Falk, an inexperienced player, who was playing for the first time in his short career looked more poised, and was able to get the offense moving.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

lol ok not wasting my time with you

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

This is as closed minded as you can get. To make assumptions that something apparently didn't happen in the past (which isn't necessarily true on your part) wouldn't happen in the future.

You take two receivers in this draft to rebuild the corps. One early and one mid to late.

But yeah thats OK you don't have to be concerned, you aren't calling the shots!

10. 101GangGreen101

Lol, hilarious mindset to have, I know right? I guess the next step is he's going to use hindsight and say oh yeah those receivers weren't worth drafting that high :rolleyes:

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

we have more important needs. you play the board. we can find 2 starting quality WRs in the 3rd round. we need o-line and CB in the 1st 2 unless something crazy happens. everyone said metcalf was top 10 last year and he fell to 64th so yeah if lamb or jeudy falls to our 2nd rounder you take them but this draft is stacked at WR so you save that for the later rounds

12. NCJetsfan

Have you taken a look are our WR corps? It is probably the strongest need we have at this point. The #1 priority this offseason was protecting Sam and helping him develop by putting more receiving talent around him. The defensive needs are much less important. For the most part, they will have to wait until next year. We have to solidify the OL and give Sam some excellent receiving options, not some slow scrub WRs, who can't run routes, can't get open and can't catch a cold. You are clueless on this point.

Mr mittens likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

No need is more important then to ensure Darnold gets the protection and weapons he needs. The time is now.

Metcalf isn't a great example because he had some red flags during the combine, most of the talented receivers during this combine lit it up, including Justin Jefferson who many thought would drop, but his stock has increased.

Nah at Lamb or Jeudy falling to the 2nd, won't happen. Lamb won't get past the Cowboys, and Jeudy won't either. Teams aren't paying receivers in FA just so they can grab receivers in the draft. Like the Eagles.

OT @ 11, then go receiver in RD2 and then find the pieces needed in the next rounds. EDGE has higher priority over CB anyway. Jets right now have 3 starters at CB. Perhaps they might have a 4th somewhere in the depth chart. CB isn't nearly as high on the chain as many indicate. You got probably the best starting safeties in the league to overcome deficiencies. Adams said it himself, we need pass rushers.

As Macho Man said, the cream rises to the top. A lot of poor positions in this draft in terms of overall value / talent. The need for 3 receivers is more essential than ever.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

3 starters at CB? we must be looking at the wrong answer. desir sin't anything great. poolse had 1 good season as a good slot CB and bless had a few good games. it's more hopeful then anything. we can still sign clowney which we could make cap room for by releasing winters, bellamy, and williamson. with him and jenkins on the outside thats 2 8+ sack players. that's pretty good. sam needs weapons for sure but the point was that the quality of the 3rd round WRs won't be any less then that of the 2nd round ones. once you get past jeaudy and lamb who are above the pack, there are like 10-15 others all about even with no big drop off. we have 2 3rd rounders. perfect to secure 2 WRs

15. GasedAndConfused

and the guys in the 3rd round will be just as good as those in the 2nd unless jeudy or lamb fall which likely won't happen. I don't think you understand the point at all which is typical for you

16. NCJetsfan

LOL Whatever

17. 101GangGreen101

I recommend doing some research on those players prior to making assumptions. Desir was very good in 2018, 2019 he was hurt. Poole is a slot CB that played very well for us last year, he should continue his stellar play. Bless also has major starting potential, so yes the Jets have 3 starters at that position.

Clowney doesn't solve your pass rush issues, I prefer they get some young fresh bodies in at OLB. In terms of the bold, yes there are 10 to 15, but I think there is a gap at some point. I don't want to get stuck drafting Donovan Peoples-Jones / Antonio Gandy-Golden / KJ Hill into thinking they are the answer. I would prefer we grab a Higgins / Mims then grab a Tyler Johnson in the 3rd or 4th. There are some outstanding receiver talents in that pool that will be gone by the time the Jets pick in the 3rd round. I completely disagree that the 3rd round WRs won't be any less then the 2nd round ones, especially if Mims or Higgins is available.

NCJetsfan and CotcheryFan like this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

I did desir is ok. better then what we had in roberts and tru so no complaints from me there. poole is on a 1 year deal though. bless is still an injury risk and only played in a handful of games but played great. we need to draft a CB who can start for us in a year or 2 right now. we don't have much for the future there and no money to spend on it.

as far as clowney goes. jenkins is on a 1 year deal. clowney can be locked in for 3-4 and we can draft jenkins replacement next year. jenkins and clowney is a nice duo for this year and it buys us 1 year to replace jenkins.

and personally i think AGG would be a steal in the 3rd. people shouldn't be sleeping on him. he would replace Q instantly who i doubt plays football again. I also really like claypool who would replace robby's role. both should be available in the 3rd

19. 101GangGreen101

Jets can draft a corner mid to late this year, and address it next year. Jets actually do a have a future at that position. You don't have to spend a bunch of money on the position and next year they should prioritize it via draft. You don't need stars at CB.

You aren't getting Clowney at 10 to 12M a year for 3 years. I am definitely not paying him 17M either for his subpar pass rush ability. A few names I like are Markus Golden and Vinny Curry. I think they can get a Curtis Weaver in the 3rd round. He can replace Jenkins next year.

If the Jets can get Higgins in the 2nd to go with OT in the first, I think that's a killer start to the draft. Higgins has an excellent catch radius and was very productive. Go back and get a KJ Hill in the 4th round or so.

NCJetsfan and CotcheryFan like this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd take Troy Pride or Lamar Jackson in round 4.

101GangGreen101 likes this.