Rank your Top 4(or 3) OL in 2020 Draft for Jets

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

How would you rate your top 4 OL in this draft?

There is a caveat. If you don't like a particular OL for Jets just go with your top 3 or top 2. List only the OT you like for Jets at #11

2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

OTs
    1. Becton
    2. Wirfs
    3. Thomas
    4. Jackson and Jones in a trade back.

WRs
    1. Lamb
    2. Jeudy

Trade back wr
    1. Justin Jefferson
    2. Ruggs

#2 J-Raw24, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Wirfs
    Becton
    Thomas
    Wills.
    I think Thomas is the safest bet and the only one that should start at lt day one. Becton has the highest bust potential. Wirfs the safest pick to have a long career if just a solid rt. Wills is the confusing one, player right for a left handed qb but I’m not sure he can play left for a righty.

wewantsapp and J-Raw24 like this.
  4. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Wirfs
    Thomas
    Becton
    Wills

J-Raw24 and FJF like this.
  5. J-Raw24

I agree with most of it. I also think Becton has the highest potential though. But the top 3 are for sure. I personally don't take Wills in the top 15.

FJF likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

1. Wirfs
    2. Thomas
    3. Wills
    4. Becton

7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Wirfs, Becton, Thomas are typically liked better than Wills. I say if top 3 are gone, go for WR instead of settling for Wills.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Becton
    Thomas
    Wirfs
    Jones

J-Raw24 likes this.
  9. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

1. Thomas on the left side. Day 1 starter.
    2. Wills on the right side simply because of his pass protection skill. Wirfs is very good, but has a weakness against the inside rush (his left side); NFL teams will expose this until he figures it out. Wills is more technically sound against the inside move with better footwork.

Becton has amazing size and speed but is technically raw and will be exposed by the better pass rushers as he develops his NFL game. Seems to be a hard worker and could develop into a great LT, but has work to do to get there. I'm also concerned about his long-term viability as guys his size seem to be susceptible to health and injury issues but no one can predict the future.

Jones may turn out to be the best of them all with time, but do we really have that time?

10. NCJetsfan

Your question about having time to let these guys develop is a valid one. IMO, however, we do have time, or at least should take time. If we have a choice, I think it would be a big mistake to take a player just because he could play now, but was limited in how good he can be in the NFL, over a player that will need some time to refine his technique and develop, but who has an excellent chance of becoming a topflight player at his position. That's why I rate them the way I do.

Becton is raw, but with his size, strength, speed, athleticism, he has the potential to become one of, if not, THE best LT in the game.

Thomas also needs some technical refinement, but is already pretty darned good and very experienced at LT.

Wirfs has much more potential and thus a higher ceiling than Wills. He is very athletic, strong, skilled as a RT already. The question remains whether he could make the switch to the right side. I think he can, but even if not, he's well on his way to becoming an elite RT.

Jones is very raw as well, but also very athletic, has excellent movement skills and according to one writer, is a perfect fit for the Jets' zone-blocking scheme. He will definitely need some time to develop.

I think Wills has the least potential of the group, but may be the most solid technically, and have the fewest technical points to refine. The question is also whether he can make the adjustment to switching to the left side. Again, I think he can, but probably won't ever be as good as the other 3. He's already a very good RT.

Normally, one would never take a player who is going to be a bit of a project in the 1st round, except for maybe a QB, but we know that it can take edge rushers a year or two to develop and the same goes for WRs, and plenty of them are taken in the 1st round. Why not an OT? With the scarcity of good OTs in the NFL, and as important as they are to protecting the QB, I think one can make a very good case for drafting one of these five OTs in the 1st round. Of course, one can also make a very good case for drafting around 4-5 of the WRs in the 1st round as well.

#10 NCJetsfan, Mar 29, 2020
  11. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Only Andrew Thomas & Tristan Wirfs are worth 11. I havent seem anything to justify Jedrick Wills flying up the boards so fast. And I think Becton smells of injury prone bust.
    So if A. Thomas & Wirfs are gone at 11 - would seriously consider trade-down or WR if Jeudy or Lamb only.

12. NCJetsfan

I couldn't possibly disagree with you more regarding Becton. He isn't a big, fat, slow, lazy, clumsy slob. By all accounts, he works hard and wants to be great. He is very strong, fast, fluid, and athletic. He has a 7-foot wingspan, long arms, big hands, and nimble feet.

Draft Profile
    https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mekhi-becton?id=32194245-4381-4547-3cf4-9d445d134d9a

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/mekhi-becton/WccGuYhcMG

Video clips
    https://www.google.com/search?clien...iAOSAQE1mAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=psy-ab

#12 NCJetsfan, Mar 29, 2020
    J-Raw24 likes this.
  13. J-Raw24

Becton has more potential than any of the other 3. He hasn't had any injuries and cannot be labeled injury prone. He may develop issues later as some big lineman do. It's not a for sure thing. And he is extremely athletic so he may not. At the worst he start to have problems after 5+ years. But he could just as easily be a 15 year starter.

14. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Guys above - its just my opinion. Not a big fan of guys who shoot up so fast leading up to the draft when I don't recall them being the least bit dominant. Its the planet theory that Parcells had - any guy that big, - that huge is such a rare specimen they just automatically shoot up.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Wirfs
    Thomas
    Becton
    Wills

Becton will be the best should they ALL have good coaching.

FJF and J-Raw24 like this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I can’t wait for JD’s first draft. I keep going over and over every expert ranking and possible selection for the top 10 picks to see what might fall to us. Of course that doesn’t mean much but it’s a start. More and more the two top WRs are forecasted to be gone early on and Wills, Whirf and Thomas gone as well. Becton and Grubb remaining as targets offensively. It will be most interesting to see what JD thinks of Becton potential and ceiling. I also think that the top Defensive ranked talent might fall down more this year than in the past as many teams are hungry for offense. The possibility of us trading down for picks with so many needs might also be high on JD’s mind.
    Who knows what he has up his sleeve? He might not be focusing as much on a home run hitter at 11 as he is getting more players that can string a whole bunch of singles together. Or may be pounce on a stud OL or WR if he falls to us, and as much as most all here would hate the thought, we can not exclude him grabbing the top CB or pash rusher if they fall. After all, putting the past aside, all four are areas of great need. Whatever he decides, I hope he strikes gold with his first four moves. This franchise needs this draft to be the best one in over a decade.

NCJetsfan, CotcheryFan and J-Raw24 like this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think you meant Jeudy as WR, although Becton could become the blocking TE from hell.

J-Raw24 and CotcheryFan like this.
  18. J-Raw24

Yep. Lol sorry thanks for catching that.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’ll put this here

themorey and NYJFOREVER like this.
  20. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Probably doing this with all the top OL and WR prospects.

I know the Jets had scheduled meetings with Lamb and Jeudy so I’d imagine they’re FaceTiming them as well.

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.