2nd / 3rd Round WRs?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by sozopol, Mar 24, 2020.

1. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Even with Robbie gone to Carolina, I think the best 1st round move would still be to grab one of the top tier OL. Not only to benefit the OL, Sam, and Leveon, and the franchise as a whole, but also because 1st round WRs are very hit or miss. Especially in the first couple of years. You can get excellent WRs to develop in rounds 2 and 3.

I don't follow much college football. To those who do: who are guys I should get excited about, to target in rounds 2 or 3 (or even later rounds)?

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

In no particular order:
    Michael Pittman Jr
    Tee Higgins
    Brandon Aiyuk
    Denzel Mims
    Bryan Edwards
    Chase Claypool
    Tyler Johnson
    Laviska Shenault

There are more for sure.

JETS1116, Mogriffjr, J-Raw24 and 2 others like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Pittman jr in the 2nd
    Van Jefferson in the 5th
    Profit

NYJFOREVER and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. DefenseWinsChampionships

After losing Robby not a chance. The only way I'm going O-Line round 1 is if both Superstar WR's in Jerry Jeudy and CeeDee Lamb are off the board.

Jeudy or Lamb round one and then begin to shore up the O-Line during the 2nd round along with two 3rd rounders.

Linebacker712 likes this.
  5. almbleamal

almbleamal Member

Denzel Mims. This guy will be a star in the NFL. Watch Brett Kollmann's video on YouTube about him; it pretty much sums up everything you need know.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I like the looks of Pittman and Mims, particularly Pittman for his size and vertical leap stats. Another guy who may go a bit later because he came up slow at the combine is Cephus who has real good ability to get to the ball and fight for it. He cut off two tenths at his pro day so he could get a fair amount of interest and could be the fourth Wisconsin guy drafted by the end of the second or early in the third.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  7. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Totally agree about Mims, he reminds me a bit of Roy Williams from Texas in terms physique and catch radius. I'm not sure he lasts to our #2 pick though.
    The guy I really love is Antonio Gandy-Golden from Liberty in the 3rd or 4th round. He has all the tools you look for and has a ridiculously high celling because of his physical traits (6'4" 225 4.5 40). Concerns are rout tree and level of play. Compares to Brandon Marshall

almbleamal and themorey like this.
  8. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm still waiting to see a 7'0-7'2 WR who runs a 4.3-4.4 with great leaping ability. Will we ever witness something like this out of an NCAA WR entering the draft?

9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

If you like Gandy-Golden types, check out the Vols' Jauan Jennings - guy beasted vs. the big boys in the SEC:

J-Raw24 likes this.
  10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Disagreed. There are top WR in this draft . There will be a run on OT and the Jets will miss out on 3 or them. So then we are back to the Maccagnan logic of taking the BPA and that has been why we sucked for years.

11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

He's very slow 4.7 forty. If he bulks up he could play TE.

12. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Good find. Any idea where he is projected? Could be a great late round pick.

13. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

As long as one of Wirfs, Thomas, Becton, or Wills is there, grab one and get Pittman in the 2nd. That should be Plan A IMO. If none of those 4 are still there, which is unlikely, fine, get Lamb or Jeudy.

FJF, CotcheryFan and boozer32 like this.
  14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Gandy Golden is a monster...I feel he’s a little faster Alshon like guy...he’s tough to take down too after the catch and he has huge hands. I’d love him in the 3rd.

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. .Guess who else ran a 4.7 .40 at the combine? . Here's a hint: .he's considered the greatest NFL WR ever. . . Ever.

. . Steve Largent also ran a 4.7 .40. . . Steve Largent's in the Hall of Fame.

#15 joe, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  16. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I mentioned in another thread but Pittman Jr. is the perfect fit in 2-3:

-Big, physical target
    -Played with Sam
    -Special teams star
    -NFL bloodlines
    -Great character
    -Lots of production
    -Has experience with the route tree

Gandy-Golden, I agree, would be another solid choice.

If we can come out of our first 4 picks with something like:

1) Andrew Thomas
    2) Antoine Winfield Jr. (or another solid corner)
    3) Pittman Jr.
    4) AJ Dillion (monster RB James Connor clone)

I think our depth chart looks a lot better!

17. CotcheryFan

Isn't Winfield a safety?

18. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

First I want Dillon but think he will be available in the 4th. I also think his style is more Henry/Gore ish. He will truck anything in front of him. Nice stuff arm. Can catch decently. Great player, but not many are high on him cause he doesn't avoid contact and he's bigger and a little slower.

Pittman I am also VERY high on. Kid can ball. He's B-Marsh without the stupidity. Big and maybe plays even bigger.

Winfield I like but I think offense needs more work. I am hoping we get 2 good receivers and 2 Oline in the top if the draft. I know we have been focused on the line in FA. But with the ever changing nfl landscape we need to get a couple that will be here for 4+ years. Darnold needs weapon and protection. Desir, Austin, and Poole aren't a bad setup.

I would also be happy with Thomas. Him, Becton, Jeudy, Lamb, or Wirfs are the only 5 I would take at 11. If not trade back and get more picks and Jefferson, Jones, or Jackson.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  19. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Mickens type--a tweanor who can play nickel or safety role. Nasty hitter, plays ball really well....just a good football player.

If Trevon Diggs is there, he's my guy but I don't think he makes it to that pick.

20. CotcheryFan

If we're going to take a defensive player in round 2, I'd prefer a CB who can play on the outside or an edge rusher. I'd rather get a WR like Mims or Pittman and get Troy Pride or Lamar Jackson in round 4.

NCJetsfan likes this.