One more thing (Joe needs to "overpay" for one player - Trent Williams)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsGoFar, Mar 28, 2020.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I prefer WR and I also don’t disagree if we go LT... but I would argue that we are going to be drafting higher next year than we are this year.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree that Douglas will likely go for a OT at 11, although I doubt he'll trade up. I believe he knows what he's looking for, and has the eye to find it, so if his OT isn't there at 11, I think he'll take the WR he wants if he's there. If neither are there, then maybe he trades back. He's been in the league a long time and has learned from the best, so I have faith he'll get what he's after, even if it takes a year or two.

3. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

I couldn’t agree more than your prospective. JD is going to let it all come to him. Be it LT, or WR, I think that will be the focus.

Some mock drafts have us taking a CB. I truly hope that’s not the case.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

That would suck (CB). I know we could use a good one or two, but they're not nearly as impactful as OL, WR, Edge. I could live with him taking a great pass rusher, but I'd be disappointed because I want them to focus on "O" for once.

NCJetsfan, HomeoftheJets and K'OB like this.
  5. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Jets have to many holes.. They need to build for the future and around Darnold and add more depth. No need to give away draft picks for a rental player.

NCJetsfan, K'OB and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

7. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

I haven’t seen anyone say they are going magically play better now that they are with us. What we are happy about is a GM who knows see a weakness and gets players that are better than the ones we had and try to address the issue and build through the draft. That’s how you win and keep longevity.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

As long as Joe doesn't sign a lineman with a name that rhymes with Wayne Fucking Hunter we'll be fine.

9. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

That's a reasonable take but I'm hearing "the line is patched up we need to focus on skill positions" a lot more

10. ColoradoContrails

The fact that he knows the OL was a problem and is trying to improve it, is in itself a big improvement over the previous GM. And the fact that he played OL in college, and has been with organizations that know how to find talent and not overpay for it, is also a big plus. I'm not expecting them to be All-Pro's, but I do think they'll be much better than what we had, especially if he gets another OL or two in the draft.

11. ColoradoContrails

I think most people calling for a WR first are just hungry for some great "O" talent to be drafted for a change. I'm hungry for that too, but I think this draft is deeper in WR than OL so I'm hoping he gets a OT first.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  12. Footballgod214

It's Joe's eye for talent that could get him in trouble.

As I read through the 'top 10' list, I would normally agree with you. What need could JoeD possibly have to trade up with all these talented lineman staring him in the face? I mean, heck, they ALL sound great to me!

But JoeD isn't MacCagnan. Where Mac may see a list of 10 good tackles, JoeD as a former Offensive Lineman himself may see the list quite differently. When Joe watches their tape, Joe will see things and 'feel things' most GMs can't. There may be ONE that Joe falls in love with and is certain 'THERE IS MY GUY!!!'. THERE'S OUR LT FOR THE NEXT 15 YEARS!!!

And if THIS GUY falls to within striking distance, Joe might strike. In Joe's mind, whatever he might get with his second 3rd round pick will never make up for missing out on a once in a generation LT. Our very own Joe Thomas for the next decade.

It's Joe's very own eye for OL talent that could trigger a trade up.

2020 NFL Draft Position Rankings: Offensive Tackles
    [​IMG]
    Nov 30, 2019; Atlanta, GA, USA; Georgia Bulldogs offensive lineman Solomon Kindley (66) and offensive lineman Andrew Thomas (71) and defensive back Ameer Speed (9) celebrate with fans after a victory against the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets at Bobby Dodd Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports

By Michael Renner
    Jan 30, 2020
    This is the class of offensive tackles that NFL teams have been champing at the bit for. Seemingly every team in the league could use an upgrade at one or more of their starting tackle spots. Expect the top-five names to come off boards very early come April as and for teams to continue to reach for that second tier throughout Day 2.

[Editor's Note: PFF's 2020 NFL Draft Guide is LIVE and available to all EDGE and ELITE subscribers. Download your copy today!]

1. ANDREW THOMAS, GEORGIA
    Draft Board Rank: 8th
    Thomas has one of the most impressive career grading profiles we’ve ever seen from a college offensive tackle. He went from a 76.7 pass-blocking starting on the right side as a true freshman, to 79.5 in 2018, to 89.0 last season. His 92.4 overall grade is the highest of any draft-eligible Power-5 offensive tackle. When you do that against SEC competition, we feel pretty good about it translating to the NFL. He’s not without flaw as his feet are all over the place at times in pass protection still, but he has the physical tools and production to be a Pro Bowl-type starter in the league.

2. JEDRICK WILLS JR., ALABAMA
    Draft Board Rank: 9th
    Offensive tackles aren’t supposed to move the way Wills does. He’s the single most athletic offensive tackle prospect I’ve seen in my six years of grading college prospects. With some tackles, you think if they lost about 50 pounds, they could feasibly play tight end. I think Wills could legitimately do it at his weight right now — that’s the caliber of athlete we’re talking about. He’s still very much learning the position, but his 90.1 run-blocking grade this past season is encouraging considering.

3. JOSH JONES, HOUSTON
    Draft Board Rank: 14th
    There was no more impressive offensive tackle at the Senior Bowl. His 54% win rate in the one-on-ones was the highest of any tackle in attendance. That’s no surprise after he earned the highest grade of any draft-eligible tackle during the regular season at 93.2 overall. While his pass sets need to be retooled to some degree, Jones’ hands are some of the best in the entire draft class. We also love that his pass protection grade has improved every single year of his career.

4. TRISTAN WIRFS, IOWA
    Draft Board Rank: 15th
    [​IMG]
    Oct 12, 2019; Iowa City, IA, USA; Iowa Hawkeyes defensive end Chauncey Golston (57) and running back Toren Young (28) and offensive lineman Tristan Wirfs (74) enter the field before the game against the Penn State Nittany Lions at Kinnick Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jeffrey Becker-USA TODAY Sports
    With all the weightlifting records Wirfs broke at Iowa, his play style is almost the opposite of what you’d expect. He’s just so dang smooth and under control. This isn’t some brute of a tackle looking for a kill shot. Wirfs patiently handles his business in pass protection knowing his physical dominance affords him some leeway. Both his run- and pass-blocking grades have improved every single season of his career. In his final seven games of his college career, Wirfs allowed one lone pressure.

5. MEKHI BECTON, LOUISVILLE
    Draft Board Rank: 50th
    The reason we’re still relatively low on Becton despite his absurd physical traits at 6-7, 369 pounds is that we haven’t seen them translate consistently to the football field yet. Louisville’s offense this past season was extremely run and play action heavy. Among PFF’s top five tackles, Becton’s 73 true pass sets were 40 fewer than anyone else. On the flip side, his 8 pressures allowed though on those true pass sets were the most. Having had to flip sides based on the strength of the formation as a freshman and sophomore didn’t help Becton’s development, but that’s still more projection than we’d like at the top of the draft.

6. BEN BARTCH, ST. JOHN'S
    Draft Board Rank: 57th
    We had to get our hands on some DIII St. John’s tape to confirm that Bartch’s dominant Senior Bowl week wasn’t a fluke. It turns out, dude is just that good. You can’t glean too much from it, but he showed consistent technique and utter dominance against the lesser competition. In Mobile, Bartch showed the feistiness you want to see from an offensive tackle prospect and ended a number of reps throughout the week with the defender on the turf. He finished with the highest win rate in the one-on-ones of any tackle in attendance. Unlike the last DIII offensive lineman at the Senior Bowl in Ali Marpet, we think Bartch has all the tools to stick at tackle in the NFL.

7. JACK DRISCOLL, AUBURN
    Draft Board Rank: 83rd
    While Prince Tega Wanogho is the bigger name along the Auburn offensive line, Driscoll has been the far more consistent pass protector. Dating back to his time at UMass, Driscoll has had three straight seasons now with 80.0-plus pass-blocking grades. While his play strength is marginal, Driscoll is one of the most agile tackles in the class and had no problem mirroring the more athletic pass-rushers in the SEC. He shut down Florida edge rusher Jonathan Greenard in their matchup this season.

8. ISAIAH WILSON, GEORGIA
    Draft Board Rank: 86th
    The first thing you notice about Wilson when watching tape is his size. He's not just big, he's the biggest. Listed at 6-foot-7, 340 pounds, Wilson really isn't carrying too much bad weight on him. Then you notice the way he moves. This man was tracking down linebackers last season for Georgia with ease. The good lord only made so many men that large that could move, and they tend to make good tackles in the NFL. The worries with Wilson is that at his height and weight, playing consistently low can be a struggle. As such, he loses far more leverage battles than you'd expect and can get walked back into the backfield. Kicking him into guard would only exacerbate those issues.

9. LUCAS NIANG, TCU
    Draft Board Rank: 92nd
    Niang’s pass sets won’t win beauty contests, but they somehow get the job done consistently. On 1,027 pass-blocking snaps in his career, Niang has allowed only 32 pressures. He’s got tree trunks for arms that deaden edge rushers in their tracks. His 2019 season was cut short though with a hip injury that will need to be monitored throughout the predraft process.

10. MATT PEART, UCONN
    Draft Board Rank: 94th
    Peart started his first two years at left tackle before the Huskies before finishing his last two on the right side. His strength was an issue early on in his career, but he made a massive leap his final season at UConn with his run blocking grade going from 70.7 in 2018 to 90.1 this past season. While he still ceded more ground than you’d like against bull-rushes at the Senior Bowl, Peart has all the movement skills to hold up at tackle in the NFL.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets don't need to have this conversation right now. It's a conversation for after the draft when we see what other OL have become cap cuts at that point and assuming that we didn't get exactly the OT we wanted dropping at any given pick.

Trading a 3rd for Williams right now and then signing him to a new contract is the equivalent of bidding against ourselves.

14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Are they saying Becton is only their 50th best pick?

He will be lucky to reach us at 11 I'd say.

Becton or Wirfs for me at 11 if they fall that far.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Too steep a price for a player that's been away from the game for a long time.

Use the third round pick to trade up in the draft to get one of the top LT if that's what they want and if they don't see a OT they want dropping to #11.

16. Footballgod214

Nosir. I copy/pasted the list. Point is, here's a list of 10 lineman. Where lesser GMs may say 'just get me a lineman', JoeD will evaluate these guys like only he can. And based on that in depth analysis, he may fall in love with a certain player. And if he does, and that player falls within striking distance, Joe may pull the trigger on a trade up. That's all!

17. K'OB

They (the people who made the list) Not you, my friend.

Surely 'they' are saying that Becton is their 50th pick off the board?

So for Becton that have him 5th OL off the board and 50th in total, that is what they mean by draft board rank, no?

All I was saying is that is surely way wrong, no way Becton is on the draft board at 50 still.

I understood your point about JD reaching for one at 8,9 or 10 but hopefully, he won't need to waste some draft picks for that kind of jump.

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

In all my years on this board I’ve never seen such agreement that it is either T or WR in the first. It just seems so easy, one of those rare drafts that value is for sure going to meet need at our draft slot.

It is a guarantee that one or more of the 4 Ts or one or more of the 3 WRs will be available at 11 and any of them are worth drafting and fill a huge need.

Everyone sees it, it seems so easy which scares me and makes me think it’s gonna be a CB or edge cause Jets.

19. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

That's article was posted before the offseason and time to evaluate this past season. Before the combine, pro days, etc. Becton has risen a lot. He is widely considered to have the highest ceiling, but of him, wirfs, and Thomas he also has the lowest floor. I think he is somewhere between an average RT and a great LT. Also people his size have a chance of their bodies breaking down after 5+ years of football. Think Jake Long. Wirfs floor is an above average RT. Thomas, I think, will be an average lt at worst, he is more refined than the other 2.

20. K'OB

Ah, that makes sense then, I know he exploded at the combine.

I said to somebody else a month or so back, if Wirfs was playing RT for a leftie then is he not a LT for a right handed QB as he has been guarding his back?

J-Raw24 likes this.