Jets 2020 Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Mar 20, 2020.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If it was up to me, I'd probably not trade down, but if I thought there was a player who I thought was as good as (or better) for the Jets this year than the one I could get at 11, I'd agree to trade down. But I wouldn't want to drop past 20 (again assuming the player that fit the above criteria would likely still be there).

2. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I think Philly at 21 makes a lot of sense. Trade back to 21 and get their 2nd and early 4th this year at least.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SOJAZ and K'OB like this.
  3. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

7 picks within the first 4 rounds? Sounds good to me! Grab speed! Can grab 2 WRs, 1 or 2 OL, 1 or 2 CBS, and edge, and Hybrid KR/RB. Heck I’ll grab a Running QB.

4. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

This deserves a posting. I know its just an article written by someone but good news is alway better than bad news. And both Poole & Lewis were re-signings in my mock offseason. So was Kelvin Beachum (short-term). Just much more good than bad about Joe Douglas so far

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28958770/2020-nfl-free-agency-five-value-signings-steals

#3 on the list;
    Brian Poole, CB, New York Jets
    The deal: One year, $5 million

Why the numbers say this is a value deal: Based on NFL Next Gen Stats' completion probability, Poole allowed minus-98 air yards over expectation (CAYOE) last season, which trailed only Stephon Gilmore and J.C. Jackson for best among cornerbacks -- and it was the best overall among slot corners.

Watching his targets defended, there were times when he got lucky and earned credit on plays that he deserved to lose on. Specifically, there were at least three occasions against New England when he was beaten by Julian Edelman but the veteran Patriots wide receiver either dropped the ball or Tom Brady's pass was off target.

Even with that, Poole's strong CAYOE number seems like a good sign. But that's also all it is -- a good sign and nothing definitive. We're still in the nascent stage of being able to quantify defensive backs with player-tracking data. CAYOE is quantifying only part of a corner's performance. For example, not attracting a target can also be a positive sign for a corner. And early indicators are that metrics like these for corners are, at best, weakly correlated with future performance in the same statistic (and we're not the first to determine this). On the other hand, we're also working with a limited sample of data, going back to just 2017.

Still, there are other circumstantial pieces of evidence that suggest Poole's 2019 season could have been a real breakout. His Pro Football Focus grade, a qualitative measurement, concurred that he had a strong 2019. And his CAYOE improved every year from 2017 to 2019. He was in the fourth season of his career, and it was his first on a new team.

We might not know exactly how predictive past cornerback performance is for the future, but taking a very cheap bet on a player who played well in the same defense last season seems like a wise move.

#5 on the list
    Alex Lewis, G, New York Jets
    The deal: Three years, $18.6 million

Why the numbers say this is a value deal: The Jets strike again with another bargain re-signing. Perhaps PBWR's most contrarian take was that the Jets' offensive line was not particularly bad last season. No one is denying that Sam Darnold was under fire, as his 35% pressure rate was third-highest among qualifying quarterbacks.

But Darnold also held the ball for a long time (2.91 seconds, the fifth-highest rate in the league). And that's how we end up with a disparity between Darnold's under-pressure rate and the Jets' No. 16-ranked pass block win rate, which is based on blocking performance in only the first 2.5 seconds. In other words: Darnold or the Jets' offensive scheme is mostly to blame for the high pressure rate.

So back to Lewis, who was part of the more-solid left side of the Jets' line. He ranked 12th in PBWR among guards and second among guards in the last year of their contract, behind only New England's Joe Thuney (who was assigned the franchise tag by the Patriots). It was an improvement from the season prior, but he was still pretty solid in 2018, too. With Baltimore that season, he was a roughly average pass-blocker.

All the Jets are paying is $6 million to find out if Lewis really broke out in 2019. If it wasn't a true breakout, that's all they'll have paid him on this contract. But if it was, they have effectively two club options for roughly $6 million more per year to reap the rewards.

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We need to go WR in round 1....i dont want to hear "we can get good recivers later in the draft"Tell me a time in Jets history we drafted starting WRs later in the draft besides a handful of guys like Robby Anderson and Kerley more recently.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Interesting that they blame Darnold for the OL being bad before actually blaming the OL. That’s when advanced stats lead you in the complete wrong direction.

egelband, ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  7. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Don Maynard 9th round, Wayne Chrebet undrafted, Wesley Walker 2nd rd, Laveranues Coles 3rd rd, George Sauer rd 5, Cotchery 4th rd.

Actually we have less success in round 1 at receiver than any other round. Yes we pick more outside the first, but this year we should look at all options. I like fant's upside, but we still need to consider ot in round 1. And not sell ourselves on the best wrs.

egelband, TwoHeadedMonster and twown like this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The stopwatch was probably still timing him holding the ball while he was being buried underneath lb's or when running for his life.

twown and J-Raw24 like this.
  9. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Exactly. That metric seems to absolve the line for blame, as if Sam was dicking around in the pocket. Kid was constantly making miracle escapes and throws on the run. Of course his "hold onto the ball" average is going to be bloated.

ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  10. LongIslandBlitz

Yea im speaking more over the last 10 years...not guys drafted 35 years ago.Cotchery was never a true #1 wr and Coles was 20 years ago already

#210 LongIslandBlitz, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  11. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Same thing you said about wr can be said for LT... name on LT drafted outside the first round that has worked. Fact is Douglas isn't the last 10 years of gms. He has been doing the job correctly since he got here. Drafting is supposed to be his strength. Give him a chance. Also we haven't draft anything but defense and qbs for 10 years in the first round so you can't use the past 10 years for anything. History says this team has found better receivers outside the first round. If you looks at the teams Douglas has helped draft they have also found better receivers outside round 1. This draft is deep at receiver. Let's the guy draft and then you can judge him in 2 years when these players will be hitting their stride.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm always in favor of a trade down, but given the drop-off in talent after the top 4 tackles and the top 2 receivers, I agree with you. The only way I can see them dropping down is if they 1) are 150% sold on Ruggs being just as good as Jeudy/Lamb or 2) are confident enough Wirfs, Becton, Wills or Thomas will fall and be there.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm afraid that even Ruggs won't last past 15 if even that long,,,he's climbing up the charts.

I'd prefer a trade back with Raiders, Niners, Bucs, or Broncos, but I think they're all looking for the same things as we are - WR,OL, CB - so it might be shooting ourselves in the foot.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm actually glad that we have our QB, and hope that Douglas is better at drafting WRs than Ozzie was. Those are the two areas where I think Ozzie had a difficult time identifying talent. He wound up signing or trading for most of their WRs because unless I'm forgetting someone, the ones he drafted pretty much were never that good. I hope that Douglas is not averse to drafting a WR in the 1st round.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  15. LongIslandBlitz

We are one of the worst drafting teams in nfl history...Id like to see the official stats on this

16. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

You can't be serious. The Jets haven't drafted an offensive player in the last 10 years. I hear about it on this board every day.

17. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

It would be disappointing if Cashman is cut. He looked like a real solid prospect.

K'OB, NCJetsfan and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  18. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Young with speed and coverage ability upside. I’d keep ‘im. Between Mosely, Williamson, Hewitt and Burgess, we have more than enough thumpers. Cashman and Onwuasor are our only coverage backers.

K'OB, NCJetsfan and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  19. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Updated for Mekhi Becton

egelband likes this.
  20. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Updated for all draft picks. I have Ashtyn Davis at FS for now.

J-Raw24 and egelband like this.