The Gregg Williams effect is coming in handy for Gang Green:

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Mar 26, 2020.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

A very good article that I read last night in which I wanted to share with TGG

(TheJetPress.com)

"The NY Jets have seen numerous defensive free agents sign with the team for less money this offseason. This is a product of defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

The NY Jets have been waiting for years to become a desirable destination for free-agent targets. And while they certainly aren’t there yet, it appears as though one side of the ball has been covered.

The Jets entered the 2019 season with one of the least respected coaching staffs in the NFL. Outside of defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, not a single member of the coaching staff had any prior head-coaching experience at either the collegiate or NFL level.

And it’s not as if head coach Adam Gase was held in high regard around the league either.

That combined with the franchise’s lack of success over the past decade or so left the Jets as one of the least desirable free-agent landing spots in the NFL — a distinction they have held for quite some time now.

This often led to the Jets having to overpay to retain or sign the players that they wanted. However, something has evidently changed this offseason.

Instead of spending big on the top free agents on the market, the Jets have opted to go shopping for bargains landing a few excellent value deals along the way.

That’s a credit to new general manager Joe Douglas who has remained much stingier in his negotiations than the previous regime. But they’ve also had the advantage of a seemingly changed mindset regarding the Jets as a free-agent destination.

We’ll call this the Gregg Williams effect.

The Jets have needed to pay around market value for the few offensive players that they have signed. From George Fant to Breshad Perriman, Gang Green has certainly forked over their fair share of money to average-at-best offensive players.

But the deals they’ve managed to get on defense have been extraordinary.

Each of Brian Poole, Jordan Jenkins, and Pierre Desir was brought back on very cheap one-year, $5 million deals.

Poole was perhaps the NFL’s best nickel cornerback last season. Jenkins is 25-years-old and has 15 sacks over the past two seasons. And Desir is two years removed from an excellent season in which he was one of Pro Football Focus‘ top-20 cornerbacks.

They should have each been given multi-year deals for significantly more money on the open market. But one theme seems to be prevalent in each of the signings.

They wanted to play for Gregg Williams.

Jenkins reportedly had offers from the New England Patriots and Baltimore Ravens but decided to return to the Jets on a cheaper deal. Imagine that, two of the most respected organizations in football turned down in favor of taking less money to join the Jets.

Something like that seems unheard of, except when you realize who his coach was. Manish Mehta of the NY Daily News even reported that Williams was the reason Jenkins returned to New York.

The same could be said for Desir who was contacted by the Jets less than an hour after he was informed of his release by the Indianapolis Colts. In his case, it was a phone call with Gregg Williams that sold him on the Jets.

Defensive players are taking less money to join the Jets because of who their coach is. This is a scenario that Jets fans have yearned for ever since the days of Rex Ryan. Williams may not be the head coach in name, but he’s likely the team’s biggest selling point right now.

The Jets are taking full advantage of the Gregg Williams effect, and it will likely pay dividends once again".

#1 DefenseWinsChampionships, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Gregg Williams did an amazing job sculpturing the defense out of shit last year.

I was thrilled when he joined the team and still am thrilled he's on board.

boozer32, Brook!, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Better remove the authors name. I know a few people here who might send him anthrax after implying Gase isn’t highly regarded around the league.

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

Same here.

Our defense was physically depleted with multiple injuries to our starters, traded away another starter in Leonard Williams, had not a single proven CB on our roster etc and during Gregg Williams 1st year as a Jet we ranked....

1st against the runt in average yards per rushing attempt against.
    2nd in run defense for rushing yards allowed.
    2nd in tackles for loss behind the Line of Scrimmage.
    5th in yards per play against.
    7th in total defense (yards allowed).
    7th in first downs given up.
    7th in Quarterback Knockdowns.
    12th in QB Rating against.
    12th in Red-Zone TD percentage.
    16th in total points allowed
    17th in pass defense for passing yards allowed.
    23rd in defensive sacks.

All while a bunch of no-name Jets emerged on Defense under Gregg Williams and started to make plays on the field while beginning to make a name for themselves such as James Burgess, Neville Hewitt, (R) Blake Cashman (before injury), Kyle Phillips, Arthur Maulet, Brian Pool and Blessaun Austin etc and last but not least; #33 Jamal Adams became a 1st time First-team All-Pro under Gregg Williams coaching.

The future is very bright for our defense moving forward (DWC).

#4 DefenseWinsChampionships, Mar 26, 2020
    boozer32 and SOJAZ like this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

So now that you’ve made the point yourself that good coaches find ways to be successful no matter what, remember that next time you use a shit roster as an excuse for yet another bottom 3 ranked Adam Gase offense.

SOJAZ and TonyFtLaud like this.
  6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Sick hire by Gase.

:D

7. BroadwayAaron

The whole blind squirrel thing.

blackssmagic and Jake like this.
  8. DefenseWinsChampionships

Wow @ this guy.

He really is obsessed with Adam Gase.

And he mentions him within each and every thread.

He even has an Adam Gase picture/photo as his avatar which is both creepy and weird (he probably even sleeps with his Adam Gase blanket and pillow too).

As a poster he does not even have an ability to simply speak about the defensive side of the football (or anything else) without (more) Adam Gase slandering. It's obsessive.

(See below, during a Gregg Williams article/thread). lol.

Well since you're such a know it all and genius head coaching expect, can you then please explain to me how (and/or why) Bill Belichick while heading into week 3 of his 7th year as an NFL head coach only had a combined losing record of 41-57 (.418%) with only 1 playoff appearance after a full 6 seasons as an NFL head coach? Nope. I bet you can not (doesn't fit your agenda?).

Our historically atrocious offensive line and lack of WR's is a Mike Maccagnan problem; not an Adam Gase problem (as he only arrived only last year and this has been on-going).

And our Jet defenses have always been much better and way deeper in depth than our Jet offenses (with way more talent on the defensive side of the ball, injuries or not) and for many of years too.

Only an idiot could ever blame a 1st year Jets head coach in Adam Gase for our makeshift offensive line and lack of WR option(s). Go blame Mike Maccagnan for that, genius.

It'll take any head coach and a little GM time in order to turn around our O-Line along with adding more WR talent and thus far he's already working on it due to finally getting rid of Maccagnan for us before immediately bringing in Joe Douglas; who's a former O-Lineman himself.

And the next time you attempt to put Adam Gase up against and vs. Gregg Williams please understand that Gregg Williams is 61 years old and has been in the NFL dating back to 1990 with the Houston Oilers (30 years ago) when in comparison to Adam Gase who's only 41 years of age and didn't enter the NFL coaching scene until 2005 with the Lions @ the age of only 27.

And the next time you try and obsess over a younger Adam Gase throughout his (only) first 4 years as HC with a record of 30-34 (.468%) please not only know but also understand that Bill Belichick heading into week 3 of his 7th year as head coach had a combined losing record of only 41-57 (.418%).

#8 DefenseWinsChampionships, Mar 26, 2020
    Mogriffjr and boozer32 like this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

Yea no chance

10. DefenseWinsChampionships

The truth hurts.

But hey, since you're such a little Adam Gase know it all and a genius head coaching expect here on TGG...

And make filler remarks such as "good coaches find ways to be successful no matter what"...

Can you then please explain to us all how (and/or why) Bill Belichick while heading into week 3 of his 7th year as an NFL head coach only had a combined losing record of 41-57 (.418%) with only 1 playoff appearance after a full 6 seasons as an NFL head coach?

Nope. I bet you can not (doesn't fit your agenda).

Yea. No chance.

Are you saying Bill Belichick was not a good coach after 6.2 years but later became an All-Time great? Is that what you're saying?

11. BroadwayAaron

Any post that compares Gase to Belichick is not worth thinking more than 5-10 seconds about and then deciding it would be stupid to respond because there’s no way someone could actually be serious.

Noam, Ralebird and K'OB like this.
  12. DefenseWinsChampionships

Adam Gase has only been a H.C for 4 years, genius.

You said (not me, but you stated that)

"Good coaches find ways to be successful no matter what
    ".

I then asked you...

Can you then please explain to us all how (and/or why) Bill Belichick ("no matter what") while heading into week 3 of his 7th year as an NFL head coach only had a combined losing record of 41-57 (.418%) with only 1 playoff appearance after a full 6.2 years as an NFL head coach?

You're the one said good coaches find ways to win NO MATTER WHAT but yet you then run away like a little coward without ever explaining how and/or why, no matter what; Bill Belly could not win after 6.2 years?!??!? Nothing worse than a hypocritical hypocrite.

F off dude. You turn EVERY TGG thread into an Adam Gase bashing. And then run away like a sissy when confronted with "head coaching talk".

The next time you have something else to say about Adam Gase? Go post in the Adam Gase thread. That's what it's here for. Understood? Good.

#12 DefenseWinsChampionships, Mar 26, 2020
    Mogriffjr likes this.
  13. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Belicheat was a defensive coach whose defenses were always decent. He didn't figure out how to cheat on offense until later in his career. But he had a decent d. Gase's offense has been bottom of the barrel all but one year.

Honestly I am over seeing the Gase blame game in both sides. He hasn't kept anyone from signing here. He isn't a good coach and maybe never will be. Fact is both sides are getting old. If we suck this year on offense he should go. If not he should stay. It's the offseason, no matter how much we type now it won't change. Just deal with it.

SOJAZ and Red Menace like this.
  14. DefenseWinsChampionships

O.K but Belly walked into N.E with a ready made defense waiting for him in Teddy Bruschi, Willie McGinest, Lawyer Milloy and Ty Law already waiting for him on defense. Any defensive coach should win with those legendary cornerstone defender's and heck even Adam V was already in place.

And he still went 5-11 as a 1st year N.E head coach and started off 0-2 his second season compared to 7-9 with Gase as a 1st year Jet.

I don't see those players already here on offense for Gase, do you? He didn't have them in Miami neither.

This obsessed Gase guy said good coaches find ways to win "no matter what" but yet can not explain to me, why no matter what; Bill could not find ways to win after his first 6.2 years but yet harps and attacks Gase after only 4 year?!? Hypocritical type of hypocrite @ best.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

The same rule applied here. Thought about it for 5-10 seconds and realized it's not worth it.

16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

17. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

Its an interesting read, but I am not sure I can believe that Jenkins turned down better offers from 2 teams in the Patriots and the Ravens. Two Playoff teams. I just dont see that lack of greed from any NFL players these days. Staying with a winning team on less money is one thing, but staying on a team that has not made the playoffs in 10 years AND take less money. Cant believe that.

18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I stopped reading at "in which", but after the gay pink bolding commanded my attention, this piqued my interest:
    Really? Get a load of the Miami fan calling someone a hypocrite on a Jets board. I know I ramble and I'm a tangential thinker to put it lightly, but that's because Phineas Gage is my spirit animal. You're just an attention seeking chest thumper who goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on with no physiological reason for their affliction. It's like all the times "you called it". I'm still waiting for you to strike incidental gold just so you can pat yourself so hard on the back you'll need a body cast.

If I didn't know any better I would say your posting style is eerily reminiscent of cakes . . . only cakes wasn't a blowhard. So tell me, are you one of those people who talk tirelessly about their aches and pains or doesn't let anyone get a word in sideways in real life? The thought of that makes me want to shoot myself. Anyway, just stop it. It's unrelated but it somehow makes my hemorrhoids worse.

19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. .

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Cakes was nutty, but very intelligent and he knew what he was talking about.
    Philly’s not in the same league as Cakes. Not even playing the same sport.