The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I admit I took the bait a few times. Better to ignore some posts.

Noam likes this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He must have forgotten since last year then :D:D:D

3. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

thank you sir

Brook! likes this.
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

#1 run defense helps (at times) in the pass game.

For example, Gregg's run D last season was #1 against short yardage. I think we stopped like 90% of 3rd and short and 100% of 4th and short. If we show that again this year, that forces teams to pass on 3rd/4th and short. Which means the Defense KNOWS what play the other side is going to run. A short crossing route, button hook at the sticks, etc.

KNOWING in advance what's coming helps tremendously, even if that part of your defense is not your strength.

We had that with Rex Ryan too...NOBODY tried running on his defense in critical situations.

Knowing what's coming always helps!

K'OB and J-Raw24 like this.
  5. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

We still need a backup qb. Mike White won't cut it. I wouldn't mind drafting the kid from Hawaii but we need a vet backup.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, Cam Newton and Jameis Winston are the best QB's on the market, but I think they both will still be looking for starter opportunities. The best options for the Jets are Matt Moore, Joe Flacco or Mike Glennon. Id' be happy with one of them.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  7. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Flacco I would pass on. He looked really bad the past 2 year along with being frail. The other 2 I wouldn't mind. Moore was a decent backup in Miami for a while.

The Dark Knight and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Chappy13

Chappy13 Active Member

Ya, how about Moore, it would insure that we wouldn't have to face him. Seems to me that he always torched us when he was with the Fins.

K'OB and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I get your point, and in theory it might help, but in actual practice I haven't seen that.

10. twown

twown Well-Known Member

If Cam or Jameis called up Douglas personally and offered to back-up Sam for half the money they made in 2019, there is still zero chance that would happen.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I remember when we had a weak run defense and the team we were playing (can't recall, maybe Raiders or Miami?) ran the ball like 20 straight times on us and we COULDN'T stop it. SO furstrating!

12. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

He’d be the best edge on the Jets since Abraham and he’s also better than average as a pass rusher. He’d open things up so much for the team it’s insane. Idk if they have the space but I’d do it if his price comes down

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  13. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Matt Moore makes sense, played for Gase, knows the system. Thought I remember reading though he was ready to retire until Andy Reid talked him out of it. Is Brock Osweiler still in the league? God forbid he has to play, but still a vet who knows Gases system (whatever that is!)

14. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

stinkyB and Dierking like this.
  15. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

16. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

what is going on in JAX? holy shit

17. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Weird. We can certainly afford that contract though. I haven’t watched much of Dennard lately but I was so high on him coming out in 2014. I wanted the Jets to take him but they took Calvin Pryor instead.

RochesterJet likes this.
  18. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

It was the Raiders. Don't remember the year. They were running it on 3rd and long even after running it the 8 plays prior. It was embarrassing.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, he'd be the best edge we've had since Abraham, but that's not saying much at all. I doubt that we have the cap space since we still need to sign a viable backup QB, and I'm pretty sure that Douglas will save some money for cuts after the draft, after TC, and then for emergencies during the season. He may even look to carry some money forward to next season.

I totally get your and others' desire to add him to the Jets. I just don't get the desire to add him for one year. The Jets need to draft their edge rusher. They're going to have to pay Adams sooner or later, Sam in a year or two and have other players they like they'll have to pay. With the increased cap and roster size, everyone is going to want their share of the pie. If Clowney were willing to lower his price significantly, or sign an incentive laden deal, I'd sign him if there's cap space, but I don't think there's cap space, and I don't think he will lower his price or sign an incentive laden deal.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I was looking at this roster earlier and i dont see how this team can win more then 5 games next year...We need to have a historic Jets draft where we get impact players with our first 4 picks.For the first time in Jets history we hit on the first 4 picks....We lack impact players Jamal Adams and Mosley are the only two and Bell if he returns to form.