The thread to end it all...... WR vs OL

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jedi mind tricks, Mar 25, 2020.

?

Which do you want to draft in round 1?

1. WR

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. OL

22 vote(s)
    78.6%
  1. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

More FA moves to come but i don't see any huge shake ups coming and a month is a good amount of time to find out what the consensus is.

For the record, I want OL unless the top 3 are gone then I'd rather have WR but I wanted to keep it simple.

The more I read about lamb and Juedy the more I'm swayed to the WR camp.. but I think we gotta go OL if possible.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I voted OL as well but I'm in the same camp as you. If Wirfs, Wills, Becton, and Thomas are all gone by 11, then go with Jeudy or Lamb. I just hope that our pick ends up being one of the 6 guys I just mentioned.

Aero, Pepsiguy5, NYJetsO12 and 4 others like this.
  3. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I agree, OT but if the top 4 are gone...
    Do we consider a trade back with a team like the Eagles at #21 & 53 or the Packers #30 & 62? They both are WR needy teams who may want to jump up and get one of the top 2 receivers. I'd do this in a heartbeat if we get their #1 and can add an additional #2 this year and future #2 or #3.
    With 3 picks in the top 65, this likely allows us to pick two of the top receivers and add either Jackson or Jones.

All hypothetical, but I personal would rather parlay that pick into two very good receivers than Judey or Lamb.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Of course, I just meant that if we stay put at 11, our pick has to be one of those guys. Trading back with this roster is an ideal situation, especially if it nets us another 2nd round pick.

A guy I would LOVE the Jets to take in the 2nd/3rd round, especially in a trade back scenario, would be Lynn Bowden. As you can probably guess by my name, I live in KY and am a huge UK fan. Lynn is a dynamic football player, and one that will slip due to lack of statistical production this past year. He was thrust into playing QB for us due to injuries this year and still managed to rush for 1,468 yards and 13 TD's essentially over the final 8 games. You can line this guy up anywhere on the field and he will produce. He needs to work on his route tree/route running abilities, something playing QB obviously did not help with last year, but he has good hands, good speed, and excellent RAC abilities. Even with the OL being somewhat improved, they are not a great unit by any means. Gase needs to design plays to get the ball out of Sam's hands early and often this year and adding a guy like Bowden would be a perfect fit for that scheme while also allowing him to work on some of his flaws for a year.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

BUILD THAT WALL!

Pepsiguy5, Brook!, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I want to draft the guy that Joe Douglas thinks is the absolutely most talented WR or OT available on the 11 assuming there hasn't been a run on the two positions making a trade down a better option.

HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

While I'd love to add a Jeudy or Lamb, our OL needs an OT and there are good WR prospects to be had in rounds 2-4, maybe even beyond that. The class of OT's isn't nearly as deep after the top 4.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with this the most closely. I would hate having to pass on Lamb or Jeudy who could be real difference makers for our offense, but IMO it's just too risky to trust Fant and Edoga, and we have little/no depth beyond them. There could easily be a rush on OL in this draft, so I think we need to get our OT while we can. Even trading down is risky. Some GM or GMs reach in every draft. If a run on OTs starts, I could easily see all the topflight OTs being gone by our pick in the 2nd round. We could then be screwed. I think we have to stay put and take an OT if we get the chance. If all 4 are gone or the top 3 are gone and Douglas isn't wild about the 4th, then I hope he can trade down 4-5 spots and then take Josh Jones. I want no part of Austin Jackson. I think he's gonna bust. He sounds too soft and passive to me. Even with as much as we need WRs, if we trade down and take Jones, I still might take Prince Tega Wanogho with our 2nd round pick or Matt Peart if he is there.

#8 NCJetsfan, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  9. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Intriguing but idk if I'd pass up the top WRs for that

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It’s likely gonna come down to the 4th OT left vs the pick of the litter of one of the most stack WR classes of all time.

Unless that 4th OT just happens to be the one JD liked the best I’d hope he’d take the top WR

Br4d likes this.
  11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

OT. And there are WRs 'beyond' 2-4. Here's a talent with some red flags (cut by Mark Richt in 2018, reinstated when Manny Diaz took over as HC who suspended him as well): Jeff Thomas, UM. Btw, speaking of the U, a heads-up name to look for in next year's draft: Greg Rousseau, DE. Will only be a sophomore this upcoming season yet can still see him declaring. Back to Thomas:

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Channeling my inner Mac and going Best WR/OL Available.

13. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I'm going to be hated on for this.... but there should be a third option of trade down. If Wirfs, Becton, Thomas, Jeudy, and Lamb are gone I would absolutely trade down. If another team offers enough I may even trade if Jeudy is on the board. That's said by enough I mean several high pick... not some 1st, 4th, 5th bs like some of these analysts are trying to pass. Would have to be 1st, 2nd, 3rd minimum. But if I can trade back and get Justin Jefferson and a 2nd and 3rd, I'm in. Now go ahead with the hate.

14. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

There’s nothing to hate - trading back for all of those picks is a good idea. I just don’t think it will be very easy to trade down this year from the #11 spot. Not too many teams will be looking to move that much capital to get to #11. Would a team give up that much trade up for Jeudy? I’m not sure about that - not with all the WRs in this draft.

15. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I think if Lamb is gone we are sitting in a Prime spot for a trade up. The raiders absolutely need a top wr. They will take one of those 2 receivers so if someone after them wants either the will be trying to trade up. I think I just depends on how the other 20 teams value Jeudy.

16. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

It's not just Jeudy or Lamb that someone would trade up for. Realistically one of Herbert or Love is gonna be there at 11. Brown could be as well. Maybe 2 of the 4 OT's. Lot of variables in this draft since it's so stacked.

NCJetsfan, BomberJet and J-Raw24 like this.
  17. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Assuming JD feels like one of the Olineman available projects as a Left Tackle....you definitely pull the trigger on a franchise LT. If you feel like the olinemen available project more at RT or guard, you go for the best WR IMO. All about value with the draft.

If we go OL in round 1, I REALLY like Mike Pittman Jr. in 2nd round. He's a big bodied receiver from USC that played with Sam, he has lots of experience, great run blocker and was a special teams ace. He's going to be a really good football player...mark my words. I'm going to include Pittman highlights for you guys!

18. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I like him for his overall playmaking ability and to fight off close coverage. Though not sure he would be a #1 WR as I would think he'd be too high a pick in the 2nd. He may be an improvement over Crowder as a slot receiver for a 3rd rnd pick though but he wouldn't solve the Jets #1 WR issue.

The guy I have my eyes on in the 2nd is Mims

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  19. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I say we have to go OT if one of the top 4 is available. This WR crop is very similar to the 1996 prospect class, in which Keyshawn and Terry Glenn were the "can't miss" prospects, but there were tons of other excellent WRs available.
    Simplistically matching each WR taken in 1996 with the 2020 prospects to show how WRs come off the board in a heavy WR draft, looks something like this (your rankings may vary):

1996: / 2020:
    1st Round:
    Keyshawn Johnson/ Jerry Jeudy
    Terry Glenn / Ceedee Lamb
    Eddie Kennison / Justin Jefferson
    Marvin Harrison / Tee Higgins
    Eric Moulds / Laviska Shenault

2nd Round:
    Alex Van Dyke / Jalen Reagor
    Amani Toomer / Henry Ruggs
    Bryan Still / Brandon Aiyuk
    Muhsin Muhammad / KJ Hamler
    Bobby Engram/ Denzel Mims
    Derrick Mayes / Michael Pittman

3rd Round:
    Terrell Owens / K.J. Hill
    Stepfret Williams / Chase Claypool

4th Round:
    Reggie Barlow / Tyler Johnson
    Charlie Jones / Antonio Gandy-Golden
    Jahine Arnold / Devin Duvernay

5th Round:
    Joe Horn / Quintez Cephus
    Mercury Hayes / Donovan Peoples-Jones
    Jermaine Lewis / Jauan Jennings
    Patrick Jeffers / Lynn Bowden
    Iheany Uwaezuoke / Collin Johnson
    Terry Guess Tarik Black

6th Round:
    Dietrich Jells / Juwan Johnson
    Nilo Silvan / Joe Reed
    Chris Doering / Quartney Davis
    James Roe / Britain Covey
    Philip Riley / Kendrick Rogers
    Toderick Malone / Shi Smith

7th Round:
    Donnell Baker / Gabriel Davis
    Clarence Jones / Demetris Robertson
    Gregory Spann / Lee Morris
    DeAndre Maxwell / Jeff Thomas
    Brice Hunter / Tyler Vaughns

Extremely simplified, but it gives you an idea of what kind of WR can be found in which round in a reasonably analogous draft. It also is a good reminder that you can get a jewel late, or throw away the first pick in the second round with future HOFers on the board at that position...

#19 TwoHeadedMonster, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  20. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Booooo. The spacing of my post all went away. Booooo. Added "/" to clear it up a bit.