Should JD pursue Clowney if price is 14m a year? (Signs with Titans)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Mar 25, 2020.

?

Clowney for 14m a year?

1. Yes

47.1%
  2. No

52.9%
  1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’d be shocked if he doesn’t resign with Seattle on a one year deal and try again with FA next year. For a guy that is always banged up or injured I can’t see any team giving him a multi year offer without being able to have your own doctors check him out.

If he’s healthy I’d give him 14mil a year in a nanosecond.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He’s dramatizing something I said about Gase’s past most likely playing a role in how big name free agents view playing for us. Just ignore him like everyone else is when he does that.

#22 BroadwayAaron, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Sec124DieHard likes this.
  3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Oh believe me, it is getting very old.

See, some posters on here like to post comments that are completely useless and based on no facts whatsoever, and then claim that others are misinterpreting them or exaggerating.

BroadwaySam likes to claim that Gase is a detractor to free agents. When he was asked to prove that claim with evidence of that, he has yet to provide the proof. Instead, he then pivoted to stating that only big name big money free agents are denying the Jets, not the other guys.

In simpler terms, he pulled the claim out of his ass and has zero evidence to prove it.

#23 Falco21, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    BradysTornACL likes this.
  4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I was about to give you shit, but then, I remembered what my momma told me when I was younger..

"If you don't have anything nice to say, just, don't say nuttin at all."

Brook! likes this.
  5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I hope you were looking in the mirror when you wrote that. And when you've invested a half century in rooting for this team, then I'll take your comments more seriously.

Ralebird and SOJAZ like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Whether you believe them to be warranted or not, there's been questions of Clowney's effort dating all the way back to his junior season of college up until now.

It's been questioned a lot and if he leaves Seattle he'll be on his third team in his sixth year. He's just not worth a long term big money commitment. Especially coming off a down years where he was injured with something that lingers such as sports hernia (unless he's having surgery on it - then you can cross this one off the list of concerns).

8. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

It's not Gase that's keeping the free agents away - it's the Jets' historically shitty organization and lack of a home stadium. Only washed up unwanted players come to the Jets after their better years are behind them just to collect another paycheck, since nobody else has any interest in them.

9. DefenseWinsChampionships

First and foremost for the people who have claimed that Jadeveon Clowney is often injured and have labeled him as "injury prone"? They have lied to you.

And that's probably because they really know nothing about him and chances are haven't watched him play since his rookie year because over the past 5 seasons following his rookie injury (including playoffs) he's played in...

76 out of a possible 85 games.
    Has played 89.4% of his games since his rookie year injury.

~ 6'5 / 255 lbs.
    ~ Only 27 years of age.

~ USA Today Hight School All-American (2010).

~ 2x First-team All-American.
    ~ 2x First-team All-SEC.
    ~ SEC Defensive Player of the Year.

~ 1st overall draft pick (2014).

~ Second-team All-Pro (2016).
    ~ 3x Pro Bowler (2016-2018).

~ (including playoffs)

~ 256 tackles (186 solo).
    ~ 85 Quarterback hits.
    ~ 75 tackles for loss behind the L.O.S.
    ~ 33 1/2 sacks.
    ~ 16 pass deflections.
    ~ 9 Fumbles Forced.
    ~ 7 Fumble recoveries.
    ~ 4 Defensive Touchdowns.
    ~ 2 Interceptions.

Nothing is worse than when someone judges a players ability/questions their overall impact after looking at box score numbers and looking for.. sacks.

Because Clowney does a whole lot more than just pressure a quarterback. A player can put up 16.0 sacks per year and become praised for it. But that's only an average of 1.0 sacks per game. The average football game has 57-84 plays for a defense (meet in the middle and say 71.5 plays per game). I'm sorry but I need a lot more out of a superstar OLB than just 1.0 sexy sacks per every 71.5 defensive plays.

Give me a player like Clowney any day of the week and twice on Sundays and I couldn't care less about sack numbers because i know enough about Defense to know and understand that Jadeveon Clowney is a freakishly gifted athlete. He's a rare defensive talented because he's so quick and fast for his size, can pressure the quarterback with closing speed, can shut down RB's out of the backfield, lives behind the line of scrimmage, can set the edge (before stopping the run) like no other and he's so explosive at the point of attack and strong enough to fight one on one (often double teamed) against powerful offensive lineman (who Jet fans rave about, Animal O-Lineman).

He helps his defense within multiple ways.
    Gregg Williams would love him.
    And Jamal Adams deserves him.

Box score watchers simply point to and look @ "sacks".

However he's not a one dimensional pass rusher who simply pins his ears back and rushes the Quarterback such as a much younger and still learning/developing John Abraham once did for us (and became very exposed against the run because of it and often times over pursued the play in hopes for the quarterback sack; while Jadeveon Clowney really has zero weak spots within his game as he's able to play within any defensive scheme along with multiple playing styles.

Jadeveon did exactly what was asked of him out of Seattle last year. And Seattle's coaching staff loves him for it - as he was utilized as literally an all out defensive battering ram.

He's an all around defensive X-Factor and an extremely versatile defensive player who can be lined up all over the front 7 and an OLB/DE who impacts the game within multiple ways.

I just hate to see Jet fans say otherwise. I do not want to hear about how bad of a player Clowney is.

#29 DefenseWinsChampionships, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  10. DefenseWinsChampionships

11. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

This guy was one of the more high profile top picks to come out in recent memory.

He's been injured a ton. He's badly underachieved as a former #1 overall pick. He got to play with Watt yet still doesn't have a double digits sacks season under his belt.

He was compared to Lawrence Taylor coming out of college.

For the Jets he might be worth the risk. Maybe.

I wouldn't give him a long term deal two years max then cross your fingers.

He's a risky signing.

blackssmagic and SOJAZ like this.
  12. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Isn' that trolling?

Where the heck is the defense force? They're supposed to be defending TGG from 'trolls'.

Oh wait I think he is part of the defense force. LOL

13. DefenseWinsChampionships

And i disagree, he has not underachieved (An All-Pro and a 3x Pro Bowler and an excellent all around OLB/DE who's extremely versatile.

Yes, he came into the league as a highly scouted pass rusher but no one would have ever imagined (nor predicted) that he'd develop and become one of the greatest edge setting and run stuffing machines who've ever played his position(s) along with having pass rushing ability. And that counts for something.

One of the most versatile defenders within the game today who can perform within multiple defensive schemes.

And you're wrong. He has not been "injured a ton". Outside of his (R) Rookie season he's played in 90% of possible games over the past 5 years. 90%!

Funny how you talk about injuries and then mention JJ Watt.

You claimed that Clowney has never recorded double digit sack numbers opposite of Watt but completely ignore the act how that
    during their 4 years "together" in Houston (outside of his rookie year and injury of 2014) Clowney himself has only missed 6 games from 2015-2018 (4 years) while during that same 4 year span (2015-2018) Mr. Injury prone himself in J.J Watt missed a combined 24 games.

Hey guys.

One of the greatest OLB's/DE's of All-Time in Khalil Mack only had 8.5 sacks last year after a full 16 games. I guess because he failed to reach double digit sacks (for the 2nd time throughout his 6 year career) that K. Mack himself did not deserve his Pro-Bowl selection last year of 2019 (just mocking and being sarcastic @ the same time, lol).

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

Exactly.

New York Jets All-Time Record: 408-500-8. 61 years (1960-2020).
    Adam Gase All-Time Jets Record: 7-9-0. 1 year (2019).

Yea. O.K. Right. It's all Adam Gase's fault. Sure it is. lol.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Clowney recently declined 17 mil per year from Dolphins. We need to set our expectations here: it is very unlikely he will be joining the Jets for 14 mil per or at all for that matter. Stranger things have happened, but I personally would be shocked. If we wanted to get a premier pass rusher, in the last draft there was a guy available who led NCAA in sacks and was a defensive player of the year. That guy in a single rookie season in NFL where he got less than 50% of snaps (or some relatively small number close to it) collected more sacks than Clowney in any season of his career. Instead our piece of garbage GM (at the time) drafted Q Williams.

16. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Not sure what the fascination is with this guy, I've rarely see him dominate a game, and the majority of his time he was on the same line as JJ Watt, is Q Williams going to make him look any better? Anytime the Jets faced Clowney I never really remember him giving us hell. I think he picks about 3 games a year to pop out and the rest of the time he blends in. Not a good fit for a number of reasons, most of which have been mentioned in this thread already. The only way I would do this is on a one year deal. I don't want signing him stop us from finding our own true pass rusher.

MJK, themorey and CotcheryFan like this.
  17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Agreed I would hate to pay this guy and expect 100% every game. He's not good enough to make a significant difference this year. Were not an elite edge rusher away. Get good lunch pail guys in who will work their ass off and be an example for the young guys we draft.

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Even if we were only an elite edge rusher away, Clowney isn’t that. There’s a better edge rusher available on the market right now.

blackssmagic likes this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Strangely mesmeric

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I'd offer him 4yr, $1M per sack deal. You want $20M? Get 20 sacks.

blackssmagic, themorey and J-Raw24 like this.