Joe Douglas and curious case of 1 year deals...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 24, 2020.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Forgive my lack of knowledge on the draft regarding LT. I'm getting more and more confused about the overwhelming desire to come out of the first round draft with a LT. Am I wrong in assuming that has to be LT period not any T? While we state that there are 4 T meritorious of the 11th pick, as I understand it from the experts, only two of the 4 are kind of plug and play LT from day one, the other two are far better served as RT and the class diminishes after that.
    So if our priority is T period, L or R, then 4 is the number of targets. If what we want to prioritize is LT above all, then the chances of either of the two being there diminishes, and the likelihood of us re-prioritizing and going top WR increases.
    Did I get this shit all wrong that only two guys could fit the bill for LT and start from day one, and the other two would be projects at best? In which case might far more likely for Joe D to target a WR or Edge with the first pick, someone that can contribute from day one and take a chance in the second round for an OL?

#41 LAJet, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Pags2112 likes this.
  2. DefenseWinsChampionships

I personally do not want an O-Lineman 1st round either because we have a 2nd rounder and two high excellent 3rd rounders and Joe D is a former O-lineman himself so go back to back to back O-Line for all I care but I HATE the thought of taking the 3rd or 4th rated offensive lineman while PASSING on the BEST WR Jeudy/Lamb.

And you know what happens if we pass on them for an O-Lineman?!? Jeudy Lamb immediately go right after us back to back and turn into immediate Superstars that Sam won't have but could've.

Would anyone have passed on Odell Beckham Jr or Mike Evans coming out?!? This draft call of WRs could be one of the greatest all time how and why the freak would anyone take the 3rd/4th rated Tackle over the BEST WR of a potentially great great great class?!? Would anyone have taken Ja'Wuan James and Zak Martin who went right after them?!? Ha

If Joe Douglas with two 3s and a 2nd can not scout and land solid offensive lineman not rated 1st round then I don't know why the heck Jet fans are proud he's a former o-lineman himself.

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t think it has anything to do with Gase,I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you think Douglas doesn’t believe in Gase.

I think he’s just trying to compete and rebuild at the same time.

chandler and The Dark Knight like this.
  4. DefenseWinsChampionships

I know one thing about Gase and his offense. We started scoring TDs on the FIRST DRIVE. Multiple times too. Can't remember last time we seen Jet offenses come out like that. With a better OLine and better WR's we'll begin to see 4th Q drives like that too.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Gase is going NOWHERE. I can't believe Jets fans really think that. Joe Douglas came here to work with Gase. The proof was in last year. The Jets were (1-7). Gase was not fired. The offense will never look as incompetent as it did during that stretch. Literally impossible. Besides a complete meltdown, Gase will return in 2021. I think (6-10) would do it.

Joe Douglas is giving 1 year deals so he isn't locked into anything. If these players show ability, he can extend them during the season like Ryan Griffin last year. If they are terrible, he can wash his hands and move on. It is a smart strategy.

chandler likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Only 6-10? :eek:
    If Sam shows progress and the team loses because they're outclassed by their opponents, it would make sense to give Gase a 3rd year. Wait and see IMO.

FJF and The Dark Knight like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, you have it right, but I'm not sure you could qualify the other two as "projects." Thomas and Becton have played LT exclusively I think. Wirfs has played some LT, but mostly at RT. He has the athleticism and agility to make the transition to LT pretty easily, imo the question would be his mental ability to make that switch with more pressure in passing situations and getting used to everything being in reverse. I think Wills has played exclusively at RT, but was playing for a southpaw QB, so he's used to protecting his QB's blind side. I like him the least of the 4 so haven't really investigated his athleticism and agility, but have to assume it must be pretty darned good, and he should be able to make the switch fairly easily as well.

8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Of course Gase is going nowhere lol

It's only a matter of time until fans realize this. I was all for Gase at the beginning. He lost me sometime halfway through the season. But what he managed to do with the roster and injuries was quite remarkable when looking back at it.

I'm excited to see what he can do with more talent and less injuries.

chandler and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. Falco21

And btw, did everyone just forget the bullshit claims by some on here that Gase was power hungry and that he would be controlling everything?

Do all of you who posted that bullshit still belive that today?

Because it looks to me that Douglas is clearly in charge and has a plan and is executing his plan to a fuckin T

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I believe the Jets can and will finish better than (6-10), but making the point it will be tough for Gase to be fired. Somehow fans think it is a possibility. I don't think so.
    Gregg Williams was really impressive to watch coach with all the injuries he had too. I think coaching is not the Jets problem at the moment. Looks like GM isn't either. Just need to rebuild the roster after a decade of terrible decisions and drafts. Easier said than done, but I am liking the start. It won't happen overnight and that is a good approach by Douglas.

11. Falco21

I definitely can agree with you regarding Gregg Williams, but the jury is still out on Gase. I think he got a lot of shit as the head coach last year when he was coaching with dog shit and more injuries then you could ever imagine.

I think Douglas has done an excellent job so far and I think after hopefully a solid draft, Gase can then get to work and we can all see what we truly have in Gase. I don't know yet if Head Coaching is a problem until I can watch Gase coach with more talent, a better offensive line, and not a tsunami of injuries.

BradysTornACL likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thanks NC for your feedback. It’s interesting to see that most all the “so called experts” have Wirf gone for sure first, Wills and Becton neck and neck for second and third. So the LT that was early on forecasted to be first OL taken might still be there for us.

13. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

They're all 1 year prove it deals. Prove you belong here for the long haul. The good stay and get extended...The bad go. No lingering
    Contracts with under achievers ala Jermaine Johnson. One year contracts make guys play
    harder due to the fact it is a prove it year....no playing easy with a fat wallet

Brook! and dawinner127 like this.
  14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Flexibility. If they want a better longer contract produce. It keeps his cap level flexible also. I hope he's not too frugal and the Jets are very close to making noise but Douglas won't go out and get that guy that can put us over the top.

Brook! likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We're nowhere close to one guy putting us over the top. We're at least a year away from that, maybe two.

Br4d likes this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Didn't 2 OTs go before Evan's, 3 before Beckham Jr? Greg Robinson , Jake Mathews and Taylor Lewan I believe.

17. Falco21

Yes and this is the dilemma I find myself in when deciding on what I want to happen at pick #11. There will likely be a bad ass WR available when we are on the clock. The argument can easily be made that we can also strike gold with a WR in the 2nd round. But I am finding it hard to just let that WR pass by to grab a lineman that can be also had later in the draft.

Douglas is definitely going to be in a tough position

18. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

We really need 2 tackles at this point. Egoda and Fant are a dangerous starting combo.
    Getting a top reciever is so tempting too.
    I guess its going to come down to how Douglas grades the OTs vs the WRs.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Good analogy! Grabbing a pizza.

Joe is content buying 10 pounds of hamburger in FA because he's planning on stealing 20 pounds of Delmonico and Ribeye in the draft.

Analogy challenge! GO!

20. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

He views these guys as stop gap players.