Jets sign Breshad Perriman

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 24, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this! Perriman looks pretty good in tracking the deep ball, and his hands look better than Robby's. He also looks strong in making the contested catches, and does look every bit as fast a Robby. I'm excited to see what he can do for the Jets. Hopefully, he's yet another ascending player who will just continue to get better and better with more opportunities. Some players/people are late bloomers.

BudJet, SOJAZ and The Dark Knight like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

In the clip that Budjet shared Perriman does run routes inside the numbers and in fact looks very good on slants.

3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

u too:mad:

Jake likes this.
  4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I do believe it is always 32 no matter what, not that it is a maximum. Well I suppose it is a maximum, but also the minimum at the same time. There are always 256 picks in the draft, which is 7x32 regular and 32 comp.

As an example, the 2019 draft had 254 picks, however you must add 2 picks that were used in the 2018 supplemental draft.

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Of course Winston does not only play in the pocket, but he did have two amazing other receivers and a better line than Darnold had.

In 2019 the Jets offensive line was ranked 31st in the league while Tampa Bay was ranked 23rd. Tampa Bay's guard and center position had an 80.4 pass-blocking grade combined, which ranked 2nd in the NFL. The Jets offensive line allowed 2.3 seconds or less on 21.5% of dropbacks which was the 2nd highest in the NFL.

Again, I am not stating that Perriman is far better or a better option than Anderson. What I am stating is that pointing to a graph that shows where catches were made or attempted as the sole proof that Anderson is better, is ridiculous

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

With all due respect to Cimini comparing routs run by two different receivers, on two vastly different teams, with totally different supporting WR in the midst , QB, OL, and CS preference does not mean two shits unless you can rationalize the differences. I liked Anderson but it wasn’t till Gase came on board that his rout tree got expanded. So I have zero idea of what Perriman tree routing capabilities really are versus what he actually run. As a player you don’t get to chose. Again with Anderson I’m not sure he was as effective as many here seem to indicate on contested receptions, he certainly was able to get separation but it was hard to determine how often behind such a putrid OL. I do believe that if Anderson had the edge over Perriman it was not big enough to Joe D to offset the extra millions. On to the next signing.
    I will miss him till I see Perriman play for us, then we shall see. I wish Anderson the best, but we have bigger fish to fry at this point. There are plenty of great WR in this draft, and may be even a hidden gem or two that go undrafted.....like Robbie.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I really hope the Jets make a move and sign or trade for a LT and are still able to draft Jeudy or Lamb at #11 overall. I love the idea of Jeudy on one side, Perriman on the other, Crowder in the slot, Herndon and Griffin at TE, and Bell in the backfield. That is actually pretty good for Sam. He needs to be protected though.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Oh you can't only just use that as your only proof. That was never my intention, it only added to my argument TBH. Robby can track a ball better down the field then Perriman too. Sam better be on point with his deep ball this year.

Perriman might have untapped potential, I just don't know but he will only reach it if Sam improves on his biggest weaknesses.

9. Falco21

Yup!

Too many variables to solely point to that graph and determine that Perriman is a better WR than Anderson.

Not matter how you skin it, Perriman showed amazing promise when he was handed the keys to #1 WR when both Godwin and Evans were out with injuries.

I like Perriman for his bigger size and his lower salary. I could not say one way or the other which is a better WR in general

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. Falco21

I am not only using that as my proof. I never stated Perriman was more talented than Anderson, nor did I state he was better, as a player.

It was posted on here that Perriman is a downgrade. Hell, you said it yourself. All I asked was what proof there was to show that. Your response was that graph.

That graph does not prove that Perriman is a downgrade. It doesn't prove much of anything at all, hence why Cimini is getting blasted on twitter for posting that.

11. 101GangGreen101

I also said, Robby tracks a ball down the field much better, and I think he runs certain routes better as well. He is also more productive over his career on a shittier team with shitter QB play and shitty offensive play calling. (EDIT) So while you say he was the "only guy" something has to give there. If you are the only guy on a really bad offense and he's winning on the outside, you have to give credit there.

Don't discount Perriman's time in CLE too, he was somewhat productive there.

12. Falco21

You may be right. Perriman may be a downgrade. I just am not sure how anything proves he is or isn't.

Perriman impressed many people last year. He put up some solid numbers next to two amazing receivers. He shined when they both were injured.

For the value, I think Perriman was a no-brainer. No chance in hell Douglas was going to pay Anderson $10m a year with all the holes we have. I just think there is far more upside and potential to Perriman than Anderson has shown. Does that have to do with our horrid offensive line? Probably. But again, at $10m a year, it was not worth the gamble.

SOJAZ likes this.
  13. DefenseWinsChampionships

What I loved and appreciated most about Robby Anderson and why I begged for his return wasn't because he was some type of All-Pro or something, it was because he provided our offense with an exciting athlete for me to watch as he's blazing fast, quick and can take the top off of a defense as a vertical deep threat down field while keeping FS's honest.

As soon as we lost Robby to Carolina I never once blamed Joe Douglas but instead immediately called for Perriman who ran a 4.19! during his pro day; that's faster than John Ross (4.22) and then ran a 4.25 during his 2nd 40-yard dash @ the combine; he's absolute lightning.

I'm excited over this addition and even after immediately calling for Perriman after losing Robby I knew of his athletic abilities as a speed demon but was not aware that he ended 2019 with 3 consecutive games over over 100+ yards receiving; there exciting for me.

I would absolutely enjoy and become excited with the drafting of CeeDee Lamb as I honestly have no idea who's better Lamb/Jeudy but with a speed burner opposite on the outside I want Jerry Jeudy because he's maybe the greatest route runner who's came out over the past 10+ years and playing in an Alabama offense he destroyed SEC defenses on a consistent basis. I feel with Jeudy's route running ability he's the perfect compliment of a #1 WR if lined opposite of a #2 speed demon.

As with Anderson I'm just thankful heading into the draft we've once again provided our offense with an exciting athlete for me to watch and one who's lightning blazing fast, quick and can take the top off of a defense as a vertical deep threat down field for Sam Darmold in Perriman.

14. 101GangGreen101

No one truly knows what we offered Robby. Esiason apparently said it was 4 yrs 40M with no clue on the guarantees, some have said it was a 1 year deal.

I'm not mad we got Perriman, it was a great rebound signing, just felt Sam and Robby were finally making some great progress. And I hope JD doesn't feel more pressure to get a WR @ 11. We need more lineman.

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I heard the 4/40 and I hope it's true because that would mean Joe Douglas has a brain between those ears. We know he does, but this would just be more confirmation. It also made sense for Robby to turn it down. Don't blame him for taking more money and I also don't blame Douglas for not offering more.

I think going WR at 11 is the move and a smart one at that. I know we need OL, but a rock solid route runner like Jeudy or a playmaker like Lamb will do almost as much for Sam as a rookie tackle would. You can find starting OL in this draft in the 2nd and 3rd round. You can also find WRs that late, but Lamb and Jeudy are the clear cut studs. WR at 11, then two OL over the next three picks.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Yes but that included ALL players. With the new CBA counting only players whose contracts are in the top 35%, I don't see how it will be possible most years to reach 32. I could be wrong of course, but in order to do that, it seems that they'd have to include players whose contracts are not in the top 35%. Maybe that's been a hidden part of the formula all along, but if so, why the need to spell it out now? I think I remember the Jets and other teams getting comp picks for players whose contracts couldn't have been in the top 35%. I'm not sure that every team signs a FA or FAs every season. Some teams sign multiple FAs.

Also, looking at the list of FAs who changed teams in FA, do you see 32 comp picks? I don't, but then there could be a lot of players on that list who make more than I think they do. Obviously, the Rams will get one for Gurley and one for Fowler, the Patriots one for Brady, the Titans one for Conklin and one for Casey, the Cowboys one for Byron Jones, the Lions one for Glasgow, if the Seahawks lose Clowney they'll get one, the Chargers could get two (one each for Rivers and Gordon), the Vikings could get 3 (Griffen, Waynes and Alexander), the Saints one for Bridgewater, the Eagles maybe 2 (Vaitai and Howard), and the Redskins one for Flowers. That's only 17 by my count. I could have missed a bunch however.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

17. 101GangGreen101

That's a fair price, but I would like to know the guarantees. That's what gets those contracts signed.

I disagree, if you don't have an adequate line then you aren't getting the ball to those receivers. Browns with Baker / OBJ / Landry, they couldn't fulfill their potential last season because of it. Rookie lineman can come in and immediately contribute and bring stability. A receiver can as well, but the receiving class is 3 rounds deep with starters. If I can get a Andrew Thomas / Wirfs / Betcon in RD1 with a Denzel Mims and another receiver late like Pittman Jr, I would take that over Jeudy and Prince Tega Wanogho.

18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

But John Ross is the record holder, how does that work again?

The closest I can find is this...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rriman-wows-scouts-with-425second-40yard-dash

A hand-timed run that could have been anything from 4.19-4.27 depending on which scout said what.

https://sportstalkflorida.com/nfl/n...runs-a-blazing-4-20ish-40-at-ucf-pro-day/amp/

Hand timed runs are always faster than the electronic version.

Conveniently he had a hamstring issue at the real combine and couldn't run so not sure how he did a 4.25 in his 2nd 40 yard dash @ The combine?

I was going to call you a LIAR but I will settle for misguided as you look to find a new love.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

It didn’t include all players, it included those in the top 50% previously.

I can get back to you later on all of the examples, I need to drive right now.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. DefenseWinsChampionships

I stated his clocked 4.19 time was @ his PRO DAY followed by stating he ran a 4.25 during his 2nd 40 yard run at the COMBINE so I have no idea what you're talking about edit: ok you're right he didn't run @ the combine still doesn't change the fact he's blazing fast.

#160 DefenseWinsChampionships, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020