Joe Douglas and curious case of 1 year deals...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

What do you make of this?

boozer32 and twown like this.
  2. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

If Gase gets axed after this year, there will be plenty of $ to bring in the new coaches guys

3. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Yeah, its a curious situation

4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Not curious at all actually.

Douglas has a vision to build a winning franchise for years to come. For once, we do not have a GM who's mindset is to spend a ton of money on high priced free agents in the hopes of winning immediately.

His ultimate means of building that base is through the draft. He also signed every offensive lineman to a 3 year deal. What does that tell you? He sees the value, long term, in our offensive line.

Douglas is slowly putting together a roster built in the trenches, through the draft, and on one year prove it deals that don't hinder us for the future.

There's nothing curious about it. We just have not been graced with this type of mentality in quite some time

Acad23, dmw, Br4d and 23 others like this.
  5. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

Idk it seems like he does not want to commit to second tier players until they prove they are first tier.

Let’s see who’s up for the challenge because next year we will be in good salary cap position.

dmw, egelband and BradysTornACL like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It tells me that he wants to keep his job but doesn't want to sacrifice the future space he's going to need to re-sign players that he drafts.

I'm sure Joe is well aware that the pitchforks would be out for him if he didn't bolster this roster in the short term. At the same time, he didn't want to go sign 4-5 year deals because he knows that's not the correct way to build a winning program.

He's simply buying himself time because he has confidence that he's going to draft well.

It's similar to what Idzik wanted to do. He just had no idea how to scout, interview or navigate the draft whatsoever.

Hopefully Joe knows how to draft.

It also looks like shorter deals are a trend across the NFL this year. I thought it was because of uncertainty regarding the coronavirus. Trying to sign as quickly as possible. That could be a tinfoil hat theory though as I think NFL franchises have built in protections for themselves if a player gets the virus.

@FJF pointed out a better likelihood of the renegotiation of the CBA or TV deals in a couple years.

7. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

If it was me, I'd be trying to get 2nd year options on these guys--for example, I'd offer Perriman a NYJ option for yr 2 at 7mm guaranteed and if it isn't offered he gets 500k and can walk. But that's coming from me who doesn't mind paying insurance so I can get more information.

Assuming that the player would agree, I don't get why he isn't regularly pursuing this kind of deal. I think 1 recent signing has a 2nd year option but most don't.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

1. Building through the draft
    2. Adam Gase

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm sure he is. But second year options aren't ideal for players that believe they are being underpaid and can easily outplay their contract. Team options are toss ins in negotiations for the teams at the back end of 4-5 year deals. You don't see a ton of one year deals with second year team options.

It just ends up being stupid for the player since it's basically not guaranteed but allows the team to retain them if they outplayed their offer.

FJF and Red Menace like this.
  10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Good chance Gase is gone before the 2021 season, so better to keep flexible.

Although I’d prefer 2 yr deals to 1 in most cases.

11. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I think it has less to do with the pitchforks and much more to do with being aware that the guys that are being signed are guys he does not want to commit to. This is his first offseason to actually start to work on the team, so there are approximately 2 players he knows he wants to keep and he is about to have 6 to 9 more to build around.

This FA for him is like buying groceries when you don’t know what pots, pans, ovens, etc you have to cook with at home. You still gotta eat, so just grab a pizza on the way home and do your shopping when you know what you can cook with.

12. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Long multi-year contracts can have a way of making a player lose motivation. Obviously, Joe likes to keep 'em hungry.

13. DefenseWinsChampionships

Next year's free agency is much deeper than this years class. Especially @ WR/RB. I think he's looking to have players hungry on 1 year contract prove it deals and it not he'll quickly look to replace. Seems like with his 1st year here he's not looking to mortgage our salary cap with long term deals.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Next year they play 17 games, the players don’t want to sign for a contract and get less money per game. they are the ones pushing for 1 year deals not Douglas

Cman68 likes this.
  15. MaximusD163

I disagree. There may be some of this going on but largely, guys want more guarantees now. Blow out your ACL in week 14, and then you might have lost out on millions and millions of dollars. If you are offered a 3 year deal with $18 mil guaranteed, or a 1 year deal for $9 mil... it’s always a big risk. Even if you think next year you could score a 3 year deal with $25 mil guaranteed.

16. Toon is God

Toon is God Active Member

The idea behind the one year deals is that it’s sets the jets up for compensatory picks should some of the players leave in free agency. It’s why you saw JD jump all over Desir because he was cut and not considered a free agent.

Bowles Movement and IDFjet like this.
  17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If he tied up a bunch of guys for multi-years the Jets wouldn't need him next year.

18. MaximusD163

The free agency class will likely be no different in quality. True quality players are extended or tagged throughout the year, leaving a market that only slightly varies year to year.

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He plans to build the team through the draft. Expensive, long-term signed vets are just not what you want.

20. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Nice.