USC Austin Jackson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AJT73, Feb 20, 2020.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

From Tony Pauline Profootball Network on Jackson:

"
    USC OT Austin Jackson a top-25 player in the 2020 NFL Draft?
    The player who has impressed me the most from the Pac-12 so far is USC tackle Austin Jackson.

Watching his footwork, lateral range, and ability to adjust makes me believe Jackson is the purest left tackle prospect in the 2020 NFL Draft. He’s not as strong or as good a run blocker as my higher-rated tackles, but Jackson comes with great upside.

As the 2019 college season closed out, a west coast scout told me he believed Jackson was a top-15 pick. I didn’t believe him then and don’t believe him now, but I absolutely think Jackson will be a top-25 choice."

Even if one of the tackles are left at 11 I could see the Jets trade back knowing they can get Jackson and more picks. The combine and other things will tell where Jackson will go, I do not know why but I have a feeling if Douglas knows he can drop a few picks back to get more knowing he can still get Jackson or even Jones from Houston I think he will. Unfortunately we will not know until draft day but I will follow Jackson and Jones because I think it is a possibility.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I wouldn't be against getting him if we trade down, but he'd be a reach at 11. AFAIK, he's a finesse OT and that's best suited for an air raid offense.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He got absolutely bullied by Epenesa in their bowl game. I'm not a fan. He plays stiff and upright. Easy to get under his pads. Good positioning and fast feet but I didn't see him as having the strength to be a great NFL tackle when I watched USC.

almbleamal, IDFjet and GWjet like this.
  4. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I didn't say this in my original post and this scares me. USC players scare me. Maybe it's a Jets thing but we haven't had success picking USC players. I do think because of the name of the school a player gets more draft press than they should. Keyshawn was good for us. Sanchez for a few years. Darnold and Edoga jury still out.

Seeing what you posted about him at the Senior Bowl does make me wary of picking him now.

I also feel this way about players we draft from Penn State. Blair Thomas was awful. Kyle Brady ok. Hackenburg was atrocious. Richie Anderson a pleasant surprise. Everyone else like USC I am leery of.

5. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

from what i heard he is the worst lineman of the first round weak finessse guy cant handle a bullrush.

6. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

Epenesa looked like he was Von Miller in that game. Either he’s way underrated or Jackson is way overrated

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

What does Joe say about him? He seems to have deep knowledge of USC players. I'd give his POV a lot of weight on this.

8. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Gholston bullied Jake Long

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

This week will be interesting to see how things play out. I think one of the top 4 linemen will be there. If Jackson and Jones look good and the right offer comes to move between 15-20 I do believe Douglas would do it to pick up a pick as well as either take Chason (DE LSU), Jackson or Jones. Lots of intrigue this week and it'll lead to more speculation and rumors for the next two months.

10. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Hence my problem with taking Edoga. If it wasn't for Marvin Powell I would entirely agree on your USC take.

AJT73 likes this.
  11. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

We'll see how things go and if the Jets sign anyone else who can start. Looking at 11 I'm willing to trade back to get more picks. If I did that Justin Jones and Ezra Cleveland I'm interested in. Would love to go between 15-20 and get more picks for rounds 2-3. Between WR, CB, edge and another olinemen it would be really helpful.

NCJetsfan and IDFjet like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

you draft for potential. The NFL scouts hear "fast feet" and "good positioning" and they fall in love especially when the guy is 6'6 320.. Lack of strength you can work with, get him in an NFL weight program. there is room for mass on that body

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

When I saw Austin Jackson, he kind of lacks that aggression you want in a lineman, he doesn't finish enough plays and I've seen that guy on the ground a lot. I want nasty lineman that don't take shit.

Sometimes you just dont have it. Kid has a great story tho

NCJetsfan and BrowningNagle like this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I prefer nasty linemen too all things considered. That's why I have a unconditional, undying man crush on Mekhi Becton. but a left tackle with quick feet that can keep the QB from getting pummeled is always attractive as well

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Cant disagree with that, I wouldn't be mad if we took him, but just depends on when.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think Chaisson or any defensive player is even under consideration for the Jets' first round pick, regardless of where it is, and that's as it should be. If they stay put at #11, the pick will be an OT or a WR. If they trade down into the teens or twenties, the pick will be an OT or WR. Anything else would be nuts.

17. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Not sure when I wrote that post. Maybe a month ago if I said two months. Anyway I agree. It's either offensive tackle or wr at this point. I know this won't happen but I could see the Jets sign Jason Peters or make the trade for Williams. Then trade down and draft a receiver round one and then line round two and another receiver in round three. I agree though. Definitely no defense in round one.

NCJetsfan likes this.