Jets 2020 Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Mar 20, 2020.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Kindly go fuck yourself dude, seriously. You have to have the last jab or something? You can’t form an opinion unless you look at Twitter, you think I give a shit what you think? Useless.

I’m just telling other people that you don’t know anything about the game

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I provided you with statistics to back up my statement. You responded saying the statistics aren't relevant because they are actually opinions. I ask you to justify that and you tell me I know nothing about football. Pretend it's not you and me and you're watching two other people converse. What would you say about the guy who said statistics are opinions while at the same time providing absolutely nothing to support his own opinion>

3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

There are numerous players around the league who start for $2 million. It is impossible to pay all of your players what people seem to think is “starter” money. You have to decide what positions you value having “plus” players at, and you fill in the cracks with ok players. “Starter” money also depends so much on the market you can command with other teams, and how easy it is to find a player who can do what you do. Why does “backup” QB command more than “starter” at safety or LB in many situations? Value is complex, but ultimately Williamson is not more than 3 times the player that Hewitt or Burgess are. And in reality, Mosley is not 8.5 times the player Hewitt or Burgess are. Better yes, but not that much better.

4. BrowningNagle

TE will be a good battle if Herndon can make himself available

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

I don’t think they sign both Hewitt and Burgess if they aren’t pretty certain they are gonna let Williamson go

I enjoy your posts but I can’t stand the gay Jason Taylor avatar lol

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think Douglas will cut him. I think he'll look to trade him for whatever he can get. Even if it's for a 7th round pick that turns out to be a great kicker for us for the next 5-10 years, or an ace STer it will be worth it imo.

7. MaximusD163

If you love me you love all of me

8. NCJetsfan

Your figures are wrong. William's cap hit is $8.5 million. If the Jets trade or cut him, they only take a dead money hit of $2 million, not $6 million. They will actually save $6.5 million on the cap. I think that saying that it's really only $4.5 million because Hewitt is getting $2 million is wrong. Hewitt was going to be on the team anyway as a backup. It's not like he was brought in from outside. That kind of thing isn't unheard of. A team signs a veteran FA for depth, the starter at that position goes down with a season-ending injury and the backup starts and plays well. The next season the team moves on from the original starter to save cap space because there isn't that big a dropoff in the level of play to justify spending the extra $6.5 million on the position.

There's no doubt that Williamson is the better of the two players, but $26 million (over %10 of the cap) in 2020 on two ILBs is just nuts, especially when neither is that good in coverage. It's a luxury that imo the Jets can't afford. It's wasted cap space. Douglas could add another FA OL or CB for that amount, or increase his offer to a FA edge rusher.

They have two young ILBs in Cashman and Burgess that could benefit from the playing time to help them develop. Either is probably better than Williamson in coverage.

We're not going deep in the playoffs this season. The goal should be to develop young players for the future. If we were a strong contender for the Lombardi Trophy, or even likely to win a playoff game or two, then I could understand keeping Williamson. That isn't the case however.

Taking into consideration where our team is in its rebuild, cap usage, and young players behind Williamson that need the experience and development, it just doesn't make sense to me to keep him.

#148 NCJetsfan, Mar 23, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I completely botched the numbers in my post and I get now why @MaximusD163 replied the way he did. I screwed up the numbers, but the point remains from my original response to him.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think they’ll carry 5 into training camp . No reason not to. One injury in training camp changes a whole depth chart .

11. NCJetsfan

I agree with this, but you didn't answer my question. Barring any injuries, do you think they'll go into the season (their final roster) with 5 ILBs?

12. FJF

No I’d bet on burgess or cashman being cut.

13. NCJetsfan

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I can't help but feel optimistic about Douglas and his decision-making. I think he will ultimately do what is best for the team. If that means keeping Williamson and cutting Cashman or Burgess, so be it.

SOJAZ likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I remember saying you were low on the value on several of these guys. Good calls though. Well done. I thought you priced them all very low.

15. MaximusD163

Lewis I was a little low on. I Watched more film in Sep-Oct before I moved across the country and started a new job, which was when Osemele was still playing.

16. FJF

With what’s a available in free agency and what we have left in cap room there is no reason to cut Williamson. There’s nothing really worth spending it on left out there that we can’t cover while keeping him. Plus another 10 mil if we cut winters and Bellamy.

SOJAZ and blackssmagic like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

the team hasn't had a pass rusher in 10 years and an elite pass rusher is just sitting out there in FA. But yeah, not worth trying to land him.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Elite potential. SO far he hasn't really consistently lived up to his potential. Part of that is due to injuries which can happen to anyone (although some players seem more injury-prone than others. Not saying he is that, but he could be), but part of it seems motivation-based. When you add it all up, it's a big investment with real risks. Because of that risk, I'd prefer going with Griffen on a one or two year deal with team outs.

19. FJF

We have enough room to that ( I assume you’re talking about clowned though not really an elite pass rusher) without cutting Williamson, easily.

20. NCJetsfan

No, there's no need at the moment, but there could be. We haven't re-signed Lachlan Edwards or replaced him. We don't have a backup QB. We haven't signed a kicker. We haven't res-signed Robby Anderson or replaced him with Perriman or Dorsett. We could easily add another CB or OT to the mix. IMO there are still FAs worthy of signing. Spotrac still shows the following as available

OTs
    Kelvin Beacham
    Jason Peters
    Jason Spriggs

CBs
    Logan Ryan
    Ronald Darby
    Ross Cockrell

Backup QB
    Josh Johnson
    Matt Moore

Edge