The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Burgess back.

Pepsiguy5 and J-Raw24 like this.
  2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I wasn't pointing my comment at you directly. It was a general statement.

And you logically can't look at his production numbers without taking into account the abysmal situations he has been in. Even with the offense improving, Darnold had ZERO time to throw the ball. Makes being a "deep threat" WR, near impossible to do your job.

I think some on here may be over rating him, but give him a solid offensive line and a consistent system with Darnold and he can be very good in this league

K'OB likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah but don't forget that he contributes in his own way to that bad situation by not being a reliable third down receiver or a particularly good player in the 5-12 yard route range.

He runs flies, underneath crosses, deep crosses, deep posts, deep comebacks, and that's about it. He's not a YAC threat because he's so frail and doesn't work back to the back in the scramble drill. He's the best we got but he's not an ideal receiver because he doesn't do the things you need to move the chains.

Br4d, Pags2112, chandler and 2 others like this.
  5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Agreed and yes, he does have a part to play in the situation, which I believe is part of the reason the market is not materializing like he anticipated it would.

Again, I think he's a solid #2. He's not a #1. He would produce much better with a better offensive line and consistent play at QB, that's for sure

K'OB and J-Raw24 like this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

No, he probably didn't but if you are using averages then game 17 smashed them downwards the previous 5 games he averaged 16+ yards a catch and 3 td's I guess you could argue he finished strongly looking at those stats.

Also, 6 receptions for 103 yards and 2 TD's, let's not ignore those stats either. I take it games 10,11 and 12 are the ones you referenced?

But again if the OC/Gase doesn't put the ball his way how can he be damned by those stats, we saw plenty of times he was open but no ball came his way and then oddly despite a connection Darnold failed to hit him when wide open how many times down the stretch 3 maybe 4 times and they were big plays, again these things are all influencing stats.

As they say, there are "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" ;)

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Anyone have any clue as to how much cap space we have left? Probably a hard calculation to make at this point.

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I totally get all of this and it's why when I've been comparing Robby to Cobb or Sanders I've been talking about route running, route trees, hands, etc. and not relying so heavily on numbers. Bringing up stats in this instance was just to reinforce the point that Robby was equally as pedestrian in the second half of the year as he was in the first half.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Championship!

10. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

It's hard to know as some of the information on the deal haven't been released. The salary cap websites aren't all up to date. And the Burgess/Jenkin deals are new. Overthecap still has Tru Johnson on it for the full amount, even though some of it will be hitting next year.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

overthecap.com shows the Jets still have $42,077,954 in cap space. That includes George Fant's contract figures, Alex Lewis'*, and Josh Doctson's, but not Poole's, McGovern's, Van Roten's, Desir's, and the other FAs we've signed (Josh Andrews, Marquis Christian) or Hewitt or Burgess. I'm not sure if it reflects Ryan Griffin's accurate figures with his new contract (if they changed).

EDIT:
    Marquis Christian's cap hit should be $1.2 million
    Hewitt's cap hit should be $2 million
    As J-Raw pointed out, Trumaine's $11 million cap savings is still on the Jets' cap until June 1. That could be used to sign the draft class, so whatever cap space we do have left, most of it could go to sign additional FAs

* I think Lewis' numbers are incorrect. It only shows a cap hit of $2.975 million. That can't be right since it was a 3 year deal for $18 million and change.

#1331 NCJetsfan, Mar 23, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  12. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

It was just an option on Griffin. I think it's on there. Wasn't a big thing. But not sure what cap hit are on all those others. Plus Tru hasn't been cut. I also bet Bellamy and Winters are gone.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. DefenseWinsChampionships

Bringing back all of Jenkins, Hewitt and Burgess along with both Mosley & Williamson returning? That's a strong group of Linebackers for Gregg Williams to rotate and work with along with (R) Blake Cashman returning from injury as a 2nd year player.

Someone such as Jadeveon Clowney could really help that LB unit above reach the next level I really want Clowney opposite of Jenkins.

14. K'OB

Well after I looked at the stats was he really that pedestrian?

game 12 4 for 86 1 td 21.5 avg
    game 13 7 for 101 14.4 avg
    game 14 7 for 117 1 td 16.7 avg
    game 15 4 for 66 16.5 avg
    game 16 2 for 32 1 td 16 avg

Then like I said 17 was a blowout but that spell seems acceptable to say was at the very least more than pedestrian surely?

I am not arguing to be a cunt, just seems a little harsh, you know I am a fan and would have him sign on again at the right price of course and tbh that price looks likely to be favourable to the Jets now and that is even better.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

The smaller the sample size, the better it's going to look. It's still pretty pedestrian... 4.5 catches for 66 yards per game. But again the only reason I even brought up the stats was in response to someone else who gave no reasoning whatsoever for saying Robby had a great second half of the season. And when you look at the actual 8 game stretch, it's the definition of pedestrian IMO.

And all this being said, like I've been saying for months.. $10-12 mil per year and I'm fine with that. That's still an overpay but 1. The market is shit and he's probably the best one left and 2. he's worth more to us than another team.

16. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Cameron Drake...much cheaper

17. BroadwayAaron

Assuming you mean Wake... and I'd love to have it but shockingly he is not an Adam Gase fan.

18. K'OB

Oh I know, I was just giving you some reasoning lol I was quite willing to agree with you at first until I checked his stats, I thought the guy was maybe confusing the seasons as he finished pretty strong season before last.

8m would be better :D

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Pats cut Gostkowski. We should probably look into him if he's healthy...

20. DefenseWinsChampionships

You would "love" Wake? lol.

Has declined in sacks each of the past 3 years and last year only recorded 2.5 sacks (9 games/0 starts) and is... 38 YEARS OLD!

You would "love" a 38 year old on the verge of retirement who can no longer rush the quarterback and after 9 games last year wasn't good enough for even 1 (spot) start?

Turning 39 years old?!?!? You've got to be kidding.