Jets sign Greg Van Roten

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I think whoever is celebrating thinking we landed a pro bowler is mistaken.

People, like myself, are celebrating because we added another talented piece, even if not a stud, to an offensive line that was non existent last year. It proves that Douglas knows there's a big problem, is addressing the problem, and is addressing it with guys who are quality players who commit little to no penalties.

I'm celebrating because so far we have signed three offensive lineman in one week. I don't think I would have ever projected the Jets to do that in years past

2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I also thought someone already posted that he's been continuing to improve and was Panther's most improved player -- i.e., another player who is seemingly ascending

I still wouldn't put it past JD to sign an old vet for leadership but so far he is signing players who seem to be on the uptick and thus more likely to outperform their contracts.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Well, look who’s president

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Van Roten is 30.
    He is the old vet for leadership.

I like the signing.
    We need to address the line however possible to protect Darnold, and of course that will involve some stop gaps.
    I don’t know about asdending or uptick tho, and I still wouldn’t part ways with Winters just yet.

Entire line can’t be rebuilt overnight, but I’m concerned no one on the line is known for run blocking.
    The OT position is also extremely thin.
    Outside of C, have we really improved?

The draft should be OL focused, although finding starters in draft not something to depend on, and the rest of our roster is also bare.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Of course but this behavior has been going on for quite some time with our guy. Just remember, real life Browning Nagle has a career completion percentage of 48%

Catfish Billy likes this.
  6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Gosh, there you go killing my very first compliment received. Jet fans have no mercy.

7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

5 average starters on the offensive line gives you a quality line.

Just gotta upgrade the atrocious skill position talent this team has right now.

TwoHeadedMonster and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

What’s taking so long for contract information? That’s what it’s all about value in FA. Decent player from what I’ve read and was high on jets list.

Being an athletic guard means he will fit in our zone run scheme as well as only giving up what three sacks in two years with one penalty.

Again consistent, disciplined, and athletic.... and I think everyone is talking about protecting Sam don’t forget we got a guy named Le’veon Bell. True blocking for Bell is different. Patients and being good on the move to sustain blocks are key. Looking good JD lets hope it pays off!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I've seen your engagement with some of the posters on this board.

How meaningful and informative were most of those?

Its good to build people up!

It may have been an In the moment type of feel, a positive one though, non the less.

Stop trying to shit on my parade. It's unnecessary. ;)

Falco21, Noam and LAJet like this.
  10. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Another excellent signing. A heady player who is both athletic and smart. JD is a protégé of Ozzy who used FA in the same manner so not one should be surprised by these signings or that he kept his word about protecting Sam. Indeed, he id doing what I had hoped he would when he held his pressers...

I told my wife yesterday that the jets finally have a GM that is worth a dam and for once, in a very long time, its enjoyable being a JET fan by watching a competent FO move this franchise in the right direction.

11. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

Careful he is in his honeymoon period but it’s all about the draft!

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

.[​IMG]

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This is totally lame!! LOL It must be awful to have someone pwn you the way I do!

14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Why? He doesn't grade out even mediocre. 3 million is 2 1/2 million more than he's worth. He didn't blow big holes for anyone last year. Bell had to work extremely hard for every yard he got last year. Winters and every lineman last year was awful and that is why Douglas is replacing each and every one of them

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I was thinking that. It's setup perfectly for Wirfs to be the right tackle though. He's a road grader if there ever was one. Becton has the body type and athleticism to be one, but Wirfs is the best run blocker offensive lineman in the draft.

I just have to imagine that JD will be torn if Jeudy and Lamb are both there.

NYJFOREVER, FJF, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Winters gotta go, I agree. Jets should be looking at an interior lineman round the 3rd or 4th round to replace and groom.

TwoHeadedMonster and boozer32 like this.
  17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Wirfs shot up into the top 7 of the draft from the combine. He might go higher after his pro day. Becton would be a great consolation prize. But with what Douglas is doing I think he will be going WR. After Wirfs and Becton I think the other two OT could be had later in the draft. So there is the trade back option for Douglas. If Jeudy or Lamb is there at 11 I would take them. If not the Raiders will probably trade up.

18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. .Fantasy. . The signature below vvv, fact.

19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

These OL signings don't guarantee Douglas is going WR. It still depends on who's still available at #11.

If Wills or Wirf were still available would be surprised if he went WR. . If Becton/Thomas, who knows, but Douglas comes off as a build-out-from-the-ball type.

ColoradoContrails, FJF and J-Raw24 like this.
  20. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Any of those 4 lineman are still in play. We have improved the line, but that doesn't mean we cannot improve it more. I personally would take Becton or Wirf over any of the other but all 4 are still very much in play. I also could see a trade down now as well. And I think OT should be addressed in the first 2 rounds no matter what.