The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The big thing about Clowney is that you would be paying for what he will bring YOU, as opposed to paying for what he brought other teams for once. A very refreshing concept.

Trumaine Johnson, you were paying for what he did with the Rams. LeVeon Bell for what he did with the Steelers. Didn’t work out.

—-

You sign Clowney and you are getting an elite playmaker in his prime with his best years still ahead of him.

but go ahead and bitch about his 3 sacks last year.

Guy singlehandedly won 2 games for his team AND knocked the other team’s QB out in the playoff game, essentially giving his team another win. But yea, only 3 sacks. Good call

2. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yup. And the likes of Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold are next.

3. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I laughed out loud at this......hilarious

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Thing is though that we don't need the best run stopping edge player in the game. We had no problem stopping the run last year and we're returning the same crew + Avery Williamson at the moment and healthy Mosely.

He's not a good enough pass rusher to justify the salary he'll command. Not to mention is he going to have the sports hernia surgery or not? No sarcasm I might've missed what the deal is with that.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Damn. We're fucked.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Dropping the People's Elbow on Wentz isn't exactly something he should be credited with. He's lucky he didn't get tossed. And I really didn't even think it was that bad or justified that but many did.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

First off, that’s a fantastic deal for New Orleans. Second, that’s now two receivers better than Robby to sign for less than $10 million per year.

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

Great post well said.

You put a defense together featuring the likes of stars in C.J Mosley, Jamal Adams and then Jadeveon Clowney and if Quinnen Williams feasts on the D-Line Gregg Williams will dominate.

9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

See, I thought Kalil was overpayed. I guess it's just perception.

I thought it was a terrible idea to force Kalil into the C role over Harrison at that point in time. Turned out It was just that.

I'm no expert but that is the one mistake by JD so far that does worry me moving forward. I don't think any GM can be perfect but the idea is obviously to sustain more great moves than bad ones.

So far so good to me.

We shall see soon enough.

(I hope, fuck, Corona.)

10. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I’ve been mulling it over and 100% depends on his price tag, but ultimately Clowney could bring a lot. If we could pay him around $17 million per, even short term, imagine what that does for guys like Jamal Adams? What if we don’t need a traditional edge rusher in this defense? I would not go over that price point, but I would consider the signing. Guys like Buckner got $21 million, so I feel like in a ballooning cap year after year, $17 million is doable.

11. BroadwayAaron

Interesting. That’s a price I’m fine with for Clowney.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The Seahawks have probably offered $13 with multi year, the Jets probably $14 for 1 year, and the Titans $13.5 multi year, just a guess. I’d play hardball, but it seems like Clowney wants to go short term because the cap spikes in 2021. I’d for sure take him at $14 million on a short term deal.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Can’t believe people wouldn’t want Clowney

He’s absolutely disruptive and would give us stars at all 3 levels

The sack numbers don’t worry me at all, if you watch the games he blows up plays all the time

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  14. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Of course

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'm not at all sure the value of a 33 year old Sanders is higher than that of a 26 year old Anderson. Spotrac had his value at ten million and Anderson at twelve.

16. DefenseWinsChampionships

Seattle used him as a battering ram. I've loved Clowney for a long time now. Put him in our defense and he becomes an absolute nightmare and Jamal Adams becomes legendary here. He'll instantly become our greatest OLB talent since John Abraham. Hands down.

However not even John Abraham was surrounded by the likes of C.J Mosley/Avery Williamson/Marcus Maye/Quinnen Williams/Jamal Adams and Gregg Williams.

Jadeveon Clowney within his athletic prime years as a Jet would be super exciting for our fan base and a beast under Gregg Williams (coaching).

17. DefenseWinsChampionships

He doesn't realize Robby Anderson has yet to have a QB who's had time in the pocket in order for his routes to develop. A WR such as E. Sanders has been in much better WR situations with QBs who've had decent O-Lines unlike Sam and Robby. Simple minded fans.

18. BroadwayAaron

Tell me more about how Belichick is awful without Brady by referencing the 1991 Browns. You’re playing chess man, I’m just playing checkers.

19. BroadwayAaron

I didn’t say his value was higher I said he’s better than Robby and signed for less than $10 mil. I know Robby is going to get more than Cobb and Sanders because he’s younger, but it wont be much more and Spotrac agrees.

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Define "better" then. What he or Cobb did five years ago is not relevant; what they can do going forward is the only thing that matters. As in, which of the three will have been the most productive when the season is over.